Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Planning a 33HR

Post Thanks / Like

Planning a 33HR

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been talking about building a 33HR with my dad for a years. Now I'm out of college and we can split the cost so I'm doing the research before we start. I've been thru hours of this forum taking notes and its been super helpful so far. I do my own work on my motorcycle and my boat but have never worked on a car before. My question right now is what does it mean on the website when it says I'll need a Rear End with brakes? I get the brakes part but what does it mean by rear end?

Thanks in advance! Hoping to order a lot and start building summer of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear end is what converts the twist of the driveshaft to the axles. The part the wheels bolt to. You have several choices. You can use a solid axle, generally based off of a 79-2004 mustang rear axle. Or you can go with the independent setup from 2015 mustang. There are other options but those are most common.

The rear axle or IRS setup is not included in the kit base cost. FFR can send you the stuff you decide on butit is an option and costs extra. Everyone does something different. Example, I had a 96 mustang rear end (rear axle, straight axle) laying around so I used that and elected for 3 link setup option.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    BB
    I recommend the build school as a good start for familiarizing yourself with the project. Check out the owners map for someone near you. The MKIV is close enough for getting an idea of the effort and easier to find. Welcome to the adventure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sending you a diagram of a rearend. You have a couple of options when ordering your kit. You can order a 3 link or a 4. 3 link is is designed for the track and 4 is for drag racing. I chose the 4 because the 3 intrudes in the trunk and the trunk is small. I will never use the car on any track. You can also order two different rear brake packages from ff. One is a standard mustang rear disk brakes IMG_4918.JPGand and a willwood set up.IMG_4917.JPG You can also choose to use the standard rear drum brakes. IMG_1419.PNGYou have to purchase your rearend from a third party or used. My suggestion is to start researching and purchasing it. If you get one used you will have to rebuild it. The rearend is one of the first things you install on you chassis. I also suggest you don't purchase wheels and tires because the backspace on the rim is critical. You can then calculate it when you get the body on the car. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is guys, this all helps a lot. I'm going to try to go to a build school this winter. I should be off for the Hot Rod build in February. Thanks again guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Boatinbiker (you gonna need to add cars in there somewhere), if you fill in your location, some of our members, if close, may offer you some one on one show and tell. I've had a couple guys come check mine out and my mark 4 and ask questions.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.