Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Where to buy a new engine/tran/rear end in Chicago area?

Post Thanks / Like

Where to buy a new engine/tran/rear end in Chicago area?

Hello there!

Well, after long years thinking about this I finally got my FF ordering guide mailed to my house. I am pretty much set on ordering complete MK4 kit, but unsure about the engine/transmission/rear end parts.
    I know people here mentioned some great engine/tran builders/suppliers. (I am looking for a new parts, not a donor) But, is there anybody I can buy from in Chicago area? I live in Chicago and would like to pick up the parts myself (don't mind to drive couple hours to get them)

The main reason for this post is to save on shipping charges.

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Fordstrokers in Carol Stream can build an engine to your specs, they have been used by several people here including myself. For new Ford parts, the cheapest I found is Don Wood Racing in Ohio, they are a Ford dealer and eveything ships straight from Michigan, even my transmission shipped in 1 day. However you will eventually have to pay tax on your engine and trans to register in IL.
    #8619. Picked up 5/27/15, First Go Cart 7/16, Finally Legal 5/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hello there!

Well, after long years thinking about this I finally got my FF ordering guide mailed to my house. I am pretty much set on ordering complete MK4 kit, but unsure about the engine/transmission/rear end parts.
    I know people here mentioned some great engine/tran builders/suppliers. (I am looking for a new parts, not a donor) But, is there anybody I can buy from in Chicago area? I live in Chicago and would like to pick up the parts myself (don't mind to drive couple hours to get them)

The main reason for this post is to save on shipping charges.

Thanks,
    Martin
    Hi Martin,

I also wanted to have all new parts in my build and as I started looking at what was required to get all the components assembled to make everything work with the car, I ended up buying completed assemblies designed specifically to bolt into the MK4. I ordered my rear end from FFR and it was shipped directly from Moser with a lot of improvements over the standard rear end that you will buy from a local retailer. The axle tubes are larger and fully welded, the mounting brackets are all configured specifically for the MK4, including the three-link bracket (welded, not clamped). My Blueprint engine and transmission arrived fully assembled and ready to install into the car. I didn't have to try to figure out all the little pieces and parts to mount the transmission, EFI, etc. The shipping costs were very reasonable considering the time savings of not having to try to build the same quality myself. Just some food for thought.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 09-10-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Forte's in the vendor area. Great stuff and good prices. Excellent reputation as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though he's in MA, you should at least get a quote from Mike Forte. He knows these cars inside and out, provides outstanding tech support, and has a sterling reputation. Oh yeah; his prices are very competitive as well (even with shipping). I have no connection to Mike; I'm just a very satisfied customer.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin-

It's right on the order form online; Blue Print Engines will set you up with some great engine choices as well as solid transmissions to match. Mine came with a dyno sheet, completely assembled, and ready to go! The engine, trans, clutch, bell housing, etc. all complete and ready for me. All I had to do was drop it in, hook everything up, and let her go!

Shipping was reasonable (they are in Nebraska, but shipping was fair), and delivery right into my garage! And perhaps one of the best things, is that everything came with a wonderful warranty. Tech support has been great, and patient with my questions.

You won't be disappointed if you choose Blue Print! If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by WIS89; 09-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you understand your states laws before considering a new engine. Some states are restrictive on emissions to the year of the block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my coyote from don wood parts as mentioned above. It was free shipping and lift gate delivery. (Well not free but included in the price so it didn't cost me any extra). Got my tranny from Forte. Highly recommend dealing with him as well.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Coyote, Tremec and Centre Force clutch components from Mark Yegalo at Roush. You can get stock components through them with out the "Roushe'd up" treatment. It was by and far the BEST deal in 2012. And not that far away in the Motorcycle area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all!
    I do like Mike Forte and Blue Print engine kits. I checked their sites frequently.
    I may just end up calling them and talk about it. I am thinking about smaller engine size, 302 or so. (driving to work and weekends with my kids) I don't have much experience with matching parts together or looking for missing ones. So the preference would be fully assembled kit ready to drop in the frame.
    You guys are right, if the shipping is reasonable and warranty included, it would only make sense to order from those guys.

I watched some youtube videos and heard 427 sound. That was bit loud for me.
    I would like to hear the 'bubbly' sound, but maybe from 302 or 351

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in the area are you? I'm NW of Chicago in Mchenry county.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Bolingbrook

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Broku,

I saw the post and thought I'd mention something about BluePrint, but it seems several happy customers already have. LOL. I might add our 302 and 347 assemblies sound great. One of my favorite first start videos of our engines is on the Facebook page, Factory Five Builders. in the video the builder, John Orren, starts his engine for the first time. It sounds amazing. Check that out if you want to get an idea of the music that going to be coming out of the exhaust. The 302 based engines will be easier to fit into the car, because they are a little more compact than the 351. Also, check out BluePrint's warranty, it's 30 Month, 50,000 mile. I don't know of anyone else that offers that. Feel free to call our tech guys to discuss an engine package at 1-800-483-4263.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE: Just talked to Mike Forte and it looks like I am getting SB FORD DART 347 TURNKEY ENGINE PACKAGE with a rear axle. Can't believe things are happening, makes me tickle...

And, yes, the shipping is VERY reasonable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,

I'm in the western suburbs and I got my entire drivetrain from Forte. I don't know about now, but he has had free shipping options in the past. I think you'll do fine with any of the forum vendors.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Question: How hard is to get cobra registered in IL? I mean to pass an inspection. Are there any exceptions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Fordstrokers is in Carol Stream, Illinois.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built FFR 5262 twelve years ago when complete kits didn't exist and info on the Forums was sketchy. I also wanted new parts, non-donor. The absolute best thing I did was establish a relationship with Ford Racing. Google Ford Racing Dealer Chicago and you'll find there are about 10. Pick one and go visit them. Their catalog is a great starting place and will come in handy later in the build. If you have an engine/tranny/rear combo in mind, ask. They will be happy to talk to you. A relationship with the parts department is invaluable. When you get a little deeper into the build, you'll find that they have exploded diagrams of every part Ford makes and they'll give you copies for the asking

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All. Thank you all for the feedback.
    I ended up ordering a complete kit from factory 5 and the engine/tran/rear end from Mike Forte.
    I will check out he Ford Racing Dealer nearby, one never know what else I will need or break

Right now I am building the body buck in garage. I feel like a kid in the candy shop, but the candy is coming in 4 weeks LOL!

Martin