Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: More tool macgyvering

Post Thanks / Like

More tool macgyvering

Well, my crappy Harbor Fright spiral sanding roll mandrel snapped while I was working. You know it's not quality when they supply you a new one with every 9-roll pack of sanding spirals, lol. At any rate, here was my solution:
    1. Chuck a deck screw into my drill with the head sticking out
    2. Buzz the head on my grinder down to just shy of 1/4 inch
    3. Wrap some duct tape around the shank to fatten it up
    4. Chuck it into my die grinder and cut it to length

Technically, I made two, and this is the shorter one; the spiral sanding roll was longer, so I didn't cut the screw as short. The idea is the same, though.

FormatFactory20170910_165518.jpg

Must be even better than HF, because I spun through 3 rolls on my first TGV, and only 1 roll on the other. Some of that might be technique, but with the HF mandrel, I could see the roll wobble around as it wore out a little. With mine, little chunks just fell off the edges.

Added bonus, I cut some abrasive pad into strips and made a very archaic flapper. Here's a look at the finish I managed.

FormatFactory20170910_165510.jpg FormatFactory20170910_170252.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought this about 20 years ago. Every now and then I buy new sanding rolls. But I'm still using the same mandrels.

http://www.eastwood.com/engine-porting-kit.html $32

.boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    That's how it is. Spend a little extra now and have tools for years (if you keep track of them) or buy the cheapest garbage you can get and realize a deck screw is a-ok for a short-term project, lol. I'd like to say that if I find myself needing to sand a bunch more, I'll get the tools you linked...but I'm pretty sure I'll just keep on chuckin' screws, lol. After all, the redneck in me needs to have some fun every once in a while!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't tell you how many projects I'v used those mandrels for over the years. Not just heads and intake ports, but lots of other little things here and there over the years; shaping metal and plastic parts, fixing this and that. It's amazing what uses you find for cone and drum shaped sanding rolls.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com