Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lifts

I have finished my build, not yet painted, and have now decided to purchase a lift. Go figure. I know what you're thinking...great timing. Anyway, I have read previous posts on the topic and found them to be very informative. I have a friend with the Bendpak lift and one with a BackYardBuddy (BYB). Both are great lifts and will work for my needs. I have ruled out the 2 post as I'm not comfortable storing a car with wheels at full droop, lack of a drip pan, etc..

My request for ideas pertain to comparison of the two brands with comparable size and features. I am find pricing differences not to be significant. But, I don't see much discussion on the forum about BYB. And at Best Buy Automotive Equipment. Com, there is a comparison of the two but conducted by Bendpak. Not what I would call an unbiased comparison. Nevertheless, it is informative.

Looking for thoughts on the two or at least the BYB?

Jay

I should add, that available space and height is not an issue. . However, I do not intend to purchase 2 lifts.
    Last edited by ThickCobra; 09-12-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jay,

I don't have a lift YET, but here is where I've been drooling ever since I ordered my car:

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...ifts-s/290.htm

Best Buy may give you some good numbers to compare prices.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    They are all basically the same. I have 3 of the Chinese lifts that everyone warns you about. All work flawlessly and are about 10 years old. I highly recommend the aluminum ramps if you can get them. The steel ones get heavy after a while.
    Mike
    Last edited by michael everson; 09-12-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay,
    I have a single post parking lift from Best Buy Equipment. Knowing it is made in China, I was somewhat skeptical. When I received it, I was quite pleased with design and construction. I was a welder by trade in my young years, so critical of fabrication, and I was pleased with what I saw. It has worked well over the last three years, and their service was great. The US made version from American custom lift was just way too expensive for my taste to justify for a parking space.
    I know of two people with four post lifts by Backyard Buddy, made in Ohio by the way. I helped disassemble, move, and reassemble one of the older models, it was straightforward and relatively easy to setup, even without instructions. Both are happy with them. Had a four post or two post fit in my garage, I would have bought a Backyard Buddy. All brands intruded too far into my "wife's side" due to a closet wall protruding into the garage, and the four posts would have been cumbersome to walk around. No one would consider making a narrower version, although I know it has been done.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't already, check the garagejournal.com forum. Tons of bandwidth there on lifts, companies, installations, etc. I'm in the process of taking delivery and installing a new Bendpak 2-post. Once I decided the model I wanted, at last for Bendpak, all the prices were within a few dollars of each other.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

6. Likes luvaz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jay - I had much the same experience and results when doing my comparison shopping. What did it for me is watching episode after episode of Jay Leno's Garage and noticing that, although he can have anything he wants in his shop, all of his lifts are Bendpak.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    If you haven't already, check the garagejournal.com forum. Tons of bandwidth there on lifts, companies, installations, etc. I'm in the process of taking delivery and installing a new Bendpak 2-post. Once I decided the model I wanted, at last for Bendpak, all the prices were within a few dollars of each other.
    Do you plan to store one of your cars on the lift over the winter months, and if so, do you have any concerns with your suspension at full droop? And, as I don't know whether 2 post units have drip trays, what about having a car protected below?
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chris,

Std lift heights seem to be 74 1/2". Does this height work for you. They offer 86 1/2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nothing but raves here for my BendPak.

I have the 9K lift for my excursion. Lifting the cobra and using the 4.5k scissor lift with it seems like child's play. Just the way I like it. Over built for it's normal duty cycle, capable of handling every vehicle I have.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bendpack 9k that I ordered to run on 110 instead of 220. I also have the casters that let you move it around the garage or even outside if you door is high enough. I store a car on it all the time. It has nice drip trays. It will lift a suburban if you need to and I have many times. It has been rock solid. I've had mine for about two years. I also ordered mine in black. Don't forget about the cost of delivery and installation. While you could save that money by picking it up at a freight terminal and assembling it yourself, the cost to have someone do it was fairly minimal. Something like 800 bucks to have it delivered and assembled, if I remember correctly. The air locks are a really nice safety feature too.

If you lift it without a car on it, you certainly can make it wiggle around if you push on it. With a car on it, it is very solid. Backyard Buddy acts like that is an issue, when it isn't.
    LS1, TKO600, IRS, no scoop, undercar exhaust. Delivered June 14, 2017, First start December 31, 2017, Registered and Titled Sept 12, 2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two four-post lifts in the garage, both from AutoLifters (out of business). Backyard Buddy lifts appear similar in design and construction, enough so some of the parts may even interchange. I have had one lift for about 17 years, the other for about 13 years, both work perfectly. They are used mainly for storage, occasionally for maintenance. I would not be without one, they are a great tool!

Assembly is not difficult, after doing it a few times I could probably put one together in about 4 hours (and will get my chance to try it next time we move).

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    BendPak here for last 10 plus years with zero problems. I started with the 9,000 lb four-post lift and purchased the caster kit. I could roll it outside the shop and lift my vehicles to clean the salt off them in the winter -- very handy! When I bought a new F550 (12,000 lb curb weight) I sold the 9,000 lb lift and bought a 14,000 lb rated four-post to replace it. It lifts everything but my backhoe (can't get it through the shop door anyway). The four-post lifts are the most versatile and you don't have to anchor them to the floor. I use mine as a work bench, a saw hose, a stacker, and an overhead crane. I just can't imagine a world without a lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Chris,

Std lift heights seem to be 74 1/2". Does this height work for you. They offer 86 1/2.
    Jay - No problem with storage below the car or working height. In fact, I can raise mine high enough so that I can't even reach the bottom of the car. As for storage height, I always have a car underneath for winter and have had no problems - but a truck on the lower level may be a bit challenging if that would ever be a possibility. That said, just put the tallest vehicle on the top.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the bendpak HD9-XL. Goes extra high and is wide enough that I park my 4 door F150 under it no problem. I did end up getting the longer aluminum ramps, pneumatic jack, drip trays, and caster kit to move it around. Everything has been great and I am very satisfied.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I have the bendpak HD9-XL. Goes extra high and is wide enough that I park my 4 door F150 under it no problem. I did end up getting the longer aluminum ramps, pneumatic jack, drip trays, and caster kit to move it around. Everything has been great and I am very satisfied.
    Is the HD9-XL all of 224" in length? They sell ones that are 174" and 200" in length. My Corvette, Cobra and SUV will fit length wise in the 174" unit as I believe covering only the wheel base is important. I am missing something that I should consider?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to second Mike and Pete's comments regarding the lifts made in China. I purchased the one I have now at SEMA about 6 or 7 years ago and it works flawlessly. Previous to that, in our last home with a larger shop, I had a BendPak. Also a terrific lift but honestly there is little difference between that and what I have now in my opinion. All a matter of preference I guess. I have run the gambit on ramps from steel to aluminum. However, the ones I like the best and am using now are from Race Ramps. I'm not exactly sure what they are made of but they are light as a feather and tough as nails. I also purchased the ramps at SEMA several years ago and they have held up very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the HD9-XL all of 224" in length? They sell ones that are 174" and 200" in length. My Corvette, Cobra and SUV will fit length wise in the 174" unit as I believe covering only the wheel base is important. I am missing something that I should consider?
    I am not sure what the actual length is. The specs are on the Bendpak website. I measured it out when I was ordering and determined that is what I needed to get my F150 to park under it. The XL also goes higher which is mainly what I needed. My truck is the crew cab version and can fit under it and the ramps are also long enough that I can get the truck on the ramps and lift it.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you plan to store one of your cars on the lift over the winter months, and if so, do you have any concerns with your suspension at full droop? And, as I don't know whether 2 post units have drip trays, what about having a car protected below?
    No, I have no plans or need to use the 2-post for long term storage. It will be mainly used for build projects, maintenance, etc. Not all will agree because some use a 4-post for build projects. But in my experience I like the more wide open access with the 2-post. A 4-post is clearly the choice where storage is the main goal.

BTW, my new Bendpak XPR-10S-LP will be in my garage this Friday. After looking at tons of brands and models, chose this one because it has dual width capability including a narrower layout that saves a little space in my garage, has low profile arms, clear floor (crossover is on the top of the columns), plus good feedback regarding Bendpak in general. This full height lift will replace the much shorter Danmar MaxJax I had in my last garage. Now sold. Anyone want to come over and help be stand up some really heavy towers?
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-12-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    I am going to second Mike and Pete's comments regarding the lifts made in China. I purchased the one I have now at SEMA about 6 or 7 years ago and it works flawlessly. Previous to that, in our last home with a larger shop, I had a BendPak. Also a terrific lift but honestly there is little difference between that and what I have now in my opinion. All a matter of preference I guess. I have run the gambit on ramps from steel to aluminum. However, the ones I like the best and am using now are from Race Ramps. I'm not exactly sure what they are made of but they are light as a feather and tough as nails. I also purchased the ramps at SEMA several years ago and they have held up very well.
    Have to agree. Have friends with the more expensive lifts but the Direct Lift 8K I have now takes care of all of my shop needs. I do have the jack bridge and the bridge jack so as far as access goes, I can get to where ever I need. Oh and I spent a whole lot less since I got the lift second hand.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 2 post Direct Lift in my old house. It was great and worked very well for 5 years. I had my Corvette up there over the winters and never found the hanging suspension to be an issue. Fast forward to now after divorce and purchasing a Cobra and moving into a different house. This garage was slightly smaller but it came with a much better wife. So the 2 post would not fit very well so I sold it and right away purchased a Direct Lift 4 post lift. This is what I built the Cobra on. I have to say the 2 poster is better for working on the car but I do enjoy some of the benefits of the 4 post. If I had it my way I would have 2 lifts but that is not possible currently. I have a friend who has 2 Bend Pak lifts and both his and mine and good lifts I would not hesitate with either one. Sine I have a Greg Smith Equipment and hour from me I picked up both lifts and installed the myself. Pretty easy to setup. The 2 post columns are heavy for 1 person as are the 4 post ramps. With dollys and an engine crane all was done by me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also have direct lift products - one 2-post lift for my shop and a 4-post in my garage. Both work great. I chose them partly because I wanted them delivered and installed at my home and there is a dealer in Denver that could do that. Delivery and installation was only about $600 back in 2013, but the price went up quite a bit when I got the 4 post a couple of years later. It's probably a 3 hour round trip to my home from Denver and they bring a fork lift with them to eliminate the back breaking work. I have 9' tall garage doors, so they assembled the lift on the driveway, then rolled it into the garage, with the roller kit attached.

The 2-post lift was indispensable when it came to building my car. I don't have access to several helpers to lift a body that's quite a bit heavier than anything from FFR. I had the body on and off a lot of times. With a lift, the body can be picked up and left up in the air, while work is done on the chassis, saving shop space. I used the 2-post to lift the engine and transmission into the frame and hold it in place while I built motor mounts. Now it's used for maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for the Bendpak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Atlas 9000lb 2-post overhead lift. It is bolted to the floor and therefore non mobile. It easily lifts my 8500 lb Dodge Ram. It is my first lift and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Backyard Buddy 4 post and the Bendpak 2 post asymmetrical. Both have worked great and would recommend either.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    25 years as a BMW and Lexus tech, I can't imagine buying a 4 post lift. We always had one w/ all the bells and whistles used as an alignment rack. Once in a while we would need space to do a quick oil change or brake job and have to use the alignment rack. It was like being banished to hell compared to our normal 2 post asymmetricals. The work can get done but banging yourself on the edges of those ramps is no fun. And when you use the flip down lift to raise the car, then that thing is in the way. I have also helped a few friends w/ 4 posts doing suspension work and it was NO fun.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, valuable insight from your experience. However, I have a different POV from my experience.

A BendPak four-post lift is nothing like the old cumbersome alignment racks I used when making my living as an auto technician. After working with two-posts lifts when I was a Ford mechanic I learned to hate positioning the arms under the car. Then there were the lowered cars that you had to use a floor jack to get them high enough to swing the arms under them. And don't dare get in a hurry and leave the arms under the car when backing out of your bay. The in-floor two cylinder lifts for the big trucks were also a pain to position but at least you had lots of clear space and didn't have to worry about moving them before backing out.

Personal preference will probably dictate which type of lift one spends his hard earned money on. After spending the last decade with a four post lift, the only reason I'd get a two-post lift is if I had a Corvette that you had to lift the body off the drivetrain to remove it. My four-post lift has as much room to work under them as a two-post and in some cases, more as there are no arms to get in my way when working on the frame rails. On a four-post lift one ramp is movable so you can make the width wider or narrower as needed. If you don't anchor it to the floor and get a caster kit you can move it around the shop or even outside to use it. It's as easy to use as driving up the ramps and setting the parking brake. No bending over to position lift arms that sometimes are too thick to get them under lower vehicles anyway.

For those considering a lift -- chose wisely as it will likely be with you a long time. Or if you have the space, get one of each (and if you do I'm betting' you'll spend more time with the four-post than the two-post).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic information, insight and preferences shared by all. Though space is not an issue, the budget is. I will sort through it all and choose wisely.
    Again, many thanks to all of you...gotta luv this forum.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up my new Bendpak XPR-10S-LP 2-post at the freight terminal today. All 1700+ pounds. SE to the rescue again! I was able to take the skid apart in the trailer and pick out the pieces one at a time using my shop crane and some creativity. Will definitely need to get some help to stand up the columns though. The low profile arms I mentioned before are just over 4 inches high. Won't take much to get them to fit under the frame. Also visible is my new garage heater. Need all this done for the Coupe delivery in November.

The 2-post vs. 4-post discussion is ongoing. Everyone has their own experience and opinion. I've worked extensively under each and strongly prefer the 2-post for builds, which is the main use for this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Picked up my new Bendpak XPR-10S-LP 2-post at the freight terminal today. All 1700+ pounds. SE to the rescue again! I was able to take the skid apart in the trailer and pick out the pieces one at a time using my shop crane and some creativity. Will definitely need to get some help to stand up the columns though. The low profile arms I mentioned before are just over 4 inches high. Won't take much to get them to fit under the frame. Also visible is my new garage heater. Need all this done for the Coupe delivery in November.

The 2-post vs. 4-post discussion is ongoing. Everyone has their own experience and opinion. I've worked extensively under each and strongly prefer the 2-post for builds, which is the main use for this one.

That looks awesome. Christmas in September!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have a lift but wish I did. I hate having to jack up the roadster and put it on stands every time I want to look underneath or get at something (it happens more than you think it will). I have contemplated a lift as I have the room but I can't decide on 2 vs 4. Every time I read one of these threads, I always come away with "I'll get a 4, no I'll get a 2, no a 4......

For anyone building one of these cars and planning to keep it for a while, some kind of lift would be a godsend.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're building a car the 2 post is certainly the best. Also far better for maintenance. Not many will accommodate a low frame like my corvette. I have 2 x 12 boards that I can fasten to the floor to drive over and get the car up high enough. I use my 4 post for oil changes on the corvette.

Storing a car on a 2 post might cause a problem with the body changing shape. The door gaps on my hot rod change when it's on the 2 post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Jay - I had much the same experience and results when doing my comparison shopping. What did it for me is watching episode after episode of Jay Leno's Garage and noticing that, although he can have anything he wants in his shop, all of his lifts are Bendpak.
    I, too have used nothing but Bendpak with great results. They also have a good customer support line if needed. I had to get an extra jack brace custom made to my spec, they did it quickly and professionally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any one have the Quickjack, with new garage not much head room?

Post Thanks / Like
    Having my garage door changed to high lift now. Going with the HD-7W Bendpak from Mytoolguy in CT.
    High lift, narrow track width, only 200" long. Roadster up, wife's car under for winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Difference in performance 110v vrs 220 v? Thanks, Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Race Ratz View Post
    Difference in performance 110v vrs 220 v? Thanks, Bill
    The 220 will go up a little faster. Maybe 15 seconds faster from bottom to top. My 2 post was 220 and my 4 post is 110. I really could not tell any difference. I'm not in that much of a rush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay,

If you do go with a four post lift, the ramps will pose no problem to your Cobra. Even your C6 should be fine. The runways are about 4 - 5 inches off the ground, but the standard ramps aren't so steep that it's an issue for most streetable cars - even my GT350, which is fairly low has no issues making it up the ramps onto the runways...... although I do back it onto the lift instead of going nose-first.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a question for the people who have a 4 post lift: How do you get the car off the wheels to work on brakes/suspension? Do you have to go back to floor jack and jack stands?
    A little bit at a time will get it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both 2 post and 4 post lifts. With the 4 post lift, you can use the jack plate to lift the car up to get the wheels off the ground and the use jack stands to support the car. It's a bit of a pain but very do-able. I use Greg Smith lifts as well as one Bendpak. All are good, all will give you years of reliable service, and all are indispensable once you have it.

The two post lift is much better for brakes, wheel bearings, suspension, etc. also, I like the portable scissor Jack lifts that allow you to move the work outside your garage or shop area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmustang View Post
    Just a question for the people who have a 4 post lift: How do you get the car off the wheels to work on brakes/suspension? Do you have to go back to floor jack and jack stands?
    I made two jack bridges for mine that will slide anywhere from end to end. I often use them for a tool shelf or to lay a drop light on.
    They are good for holding the drain pan for an oil change too.
    With the bridge in place under a crossmember or axle I use a bottle jack then place two jack stands, that let's you take the wheels off and the
    drive ramps make a handy place for brake parts, tools, drain pans etc. while the wheels are off.
    HTH
    DB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast