BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anybody own or have experience with current generation Camaro?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody own or have experience with current generation Camaro?

My wife has a '67 396 SS convertible that's going to be going through a refresh beginning this winter. Since I'm going to be doing most of the work - and farming out a bunch - it'll be out of commission on-and-off for the next couple years. We're thinking about getting her a new Camaro convertible - either an SS or the ZL1 - to play with while I'm taking my dear-sweet-time with the work on her old one.

If you have experience (or own) either of those, please share your thoughts and suggestions on equipment, reliability, and what you'd change.

Here's a shot of her current car - she's thinking about getting the new one either in Hyper Blue or Arctic Blue, sort of as a modern interpretation of this one.

Last edited by Gumball; 09-29-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    While instructing I've driven a couple that were owned by students, not sure of the package nomenclature but both were SS with the big Brembo brakes.

On the + side: lots of power and lots of brakes

On the - side: Heavy and feel it, not especially agile (particularly with the OEM run flats), poor visibility

Based on my limited seat time I didn't come away with a desire to own one.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Jeff, was disappointed, but hey take one for a test drive and see

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris-

I have nothing to add regarding the modern Camaro. However, I am curious about the '67. Are you going to work to keep it all stock, or are you planning a resto-mod with a more modern suspension and drive line and such?

If hers is all original, I know I would be torn which direction to go, but I really like the resto-mod route. You can make a 50 year old car approach the feel of a modern car. That to me is pretty exciting, as it can make it a much more pleasant car to drive, and likely entice you to drive it more. Whichever direction you go, good luck, and I hope you might share some updates from time to time.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Her car is pretty much bone stock - was restored by the previous owner around 15 years ago - and even had bias ply redlines on it when we bought it. She won't let me do anything to make it more modern, but it does have disc brakes on the front, with power assist and power steering. But, with that huge lump of iron over the front wheels and a M22 rock crusher, it's a beast to drive and doesn't handle particularly well.

The new Camaro would be her's alone - so it's not like it needs to be track-worthy, just a fun driver to keep her occupied when I have the '67 under the wrench for weeks or months at a time.

The refresh will be to address a bunch of mechanical and electrical issues that have shown up in the six years we've owned it. In addition, there's one small area of rust that is returning in the form of some little bubbles under the paint, so we're also planning a full repaint - in a lighter blue called "Nantucket" (which was a stock original color). While we're at it, we'll probably swap the top for a black canvas version and spruce up the interior a bit with new seat buns (and maybe add seat heaters) under the original covers, which are in great shape. New pads, shoes, bushings, and a some other wear item replacements will round it out.

For now, she's keeping herself entertained with the car I play with when the Cobra is sidelined - so I'd like her to get her own!!! Here's a pic of my diversion.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074