Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for a check on calculation

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a check on calculation

So here is what I am trying to do. I am trying to calibrate my speedo using an Arduino
    I am programming the Arduino to start the calibration. Send the 2 miles of pulses to the speedo. Then end the calibration
    I am looking for a check on my calculation for how many pulses I need for a mile
    my car is not finished yet to hit the road
    according to the instructions you calibrate the speedo by getting into the ppm menu. press the button to start the calibration, driving for 2 miles, and then press the button to stop the calibrations.

The speedo takes a signal off the electronic sending unit from the transmission

So here is what I am looking for, Pulses Per Mile (PPM)
    I came up with 33,469.48473 PPM

here is what I have

Nitto NT555 315/35ZR17. Tire Diameter from Nittos website of 25.67

rear gear ratio of 3.55
    Tremec TKO TCET5008 has a output shaft with a sending ring with 12 teeth, 12 pulses per one revolution of output shaft
    FFR speed hut speedo

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Edit: (I can't do math today) A tire that is 25.68" tall will make 785.32 revs/mile. Divide that by 3.55 to get the number of revolutions of your output shaft in a mile. Multiply that by the 12 pulses per revolution of the output shaft and I come up with 33,454.632 pulses/mile. Your number and mine are pretty close.
    Last edited by Papa; 09-15-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I love word problems . If the tire diameter is 25.67", then it will travel a distance of pi*25.67" = 80.64" in 1 revolution. There are 12*5280 = 63360" in 1 mile. So the number of wheel revolutions in 1 mile is 63360/80.64 = 785.7. In that same distance the output shaft will turn 3.55*785.7 = 2789.3 times. With 12 pulses per 1 revolution of the output shaft, the total number of pulses per mile is 2789.3*12 = 33471.

You guys are right on.

Got any more??

Post Thanks / Like
    That tire diameter correct for the tire w/ the weight of the car on it?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listen to Craig - the published diameter is not the same as rolling diameter. Best way to get rolling diameter is to air the tire to the pressure you will be running and put a mark on the sidewall extending down to the tread. With the tire mounted on the car at it's running weight, place a corresponding mark on the shop floor and roll the tire one revolution and mark the floor again. Measure the distance between the marks. You can convert this to diameter if you want but since you're already trying to calculate distance traveled from diameter use the raw "distance" number in your calculation to determine how many pulses per mile.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to split hairs the difference between chmhasy, Papa and karlos' calculations is less than .0005%---maybe not quite close enough to bring the Space Shuttle back into the Earth's atmosphere probably plenty good for driving down the interstate

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, I briefly though about weight on the tire . so I just went with the published tire diameter.
    but I think I should be in the ball park.

It might be a fun project to take an Arduino and count the pulses from the tranny and drive a mile to find out what the exact number of pulses would be but I will have to wait to my car is done

Post Thanks / Like
    Once more, I have to go along with Jeff on this one . . . .0005% won't let the space shuttle land on the landing strip, more-than-likely on the grass to the left - but for us guys driving a Cobra (or for that matter, any other car that we have assembled), it'll get you down the road with just about spot-on accuracy without the fear of tickets for speeding. That last part will be all on you . . . Ha!

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.