BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koni dual adjustable anniversary shock

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Koni dual adjustable anniversary shock

Has anyone adjusted the dual adjustable Koni shocks to meet their driving preferences? Since my ride will be street only, I was hoping to adjust them to get the most comfortable ride possible. But, they did not arrive with instructions and my search on line wasn't successful.

Maybe most leave the shocks at the factory setting out of the box. I am finding the ride to be much rougher than anticipated, but hoping adjustments may help.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the anniversary shocks, but here are instructions for ensuring the F5- provided Koni shocks are set to their softest setting. From my build log:

"Then I made sure the shocks were set to their softest setting. I popped off the little black cap that covers the end of the body with a screwdriver (see the upper shock in the picture below).

IMG_1016 by jhsitton, on Flickr

"Then I pressed in the little chrome button on the body of the shock. At this point, a small amount of mystery blue fluid squirted out onto my finger and the shock body. I mention this only because if you’re wearing a white shirt and khaki shorts, and you get this fluid on either, you’ll probably have a new set of painting clothes.

IMG_1020 by jhsitton, on Flickr

"While keeping the button depressed, I held the body of the shock and rotated the rod (piston) all the way right until it stopped; keeping a grip on the body while pressing the button was a little bit of a challenge. On the first shock, I could feel the detentes as I went past them, and was easily able to find max hard (full clockwise or to the right with the shock rod facing up) and max soft (three clicks to the left). On the other, it took a LOT of twisting back and forth until I could feel the detentes. I’m pretty sure I found max soft; at least it wouldn’t turn to the left anymore. After a bunch of fiddling, wiggling, twisting, and turning, I satisfied myself that I had found the softest setting. I released the button and turned the rod a little, and the button popped back out."

ASSUMING Koni didn't change the procedure for adjusting the ride setting, following the above instructions should get you the softest setting and perhaps get the ride more to your liking.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    My 20th Anniversary Roadster came with Koni 8212 series aluminum bodied externally double adjustable shocks. Part numbers: 8212 1447 B6. 8212 = Koni shock type (series), 1447 = size, stroke, etc. (maybe custom for FF because Koni only lists up to 1446), B6 = Valving code. Indicates these are made for 300-650 lbs./in. I say all that because I've heard these specific shocks have been discontinued and FF now supplies a different model for the aluminum double adjustable shocks. Something you may want to check. I found the following instructions on Koni's website not long after I received my shocks a couple years ago. Hopefully they apply to yours as well.

Adjustment:
    Rebound - Insert a pin into the slotted adjuster located at top eye. Moving the pin from left to right (counter - clockwise) will cause the forces to increase. From the minimum or factory position, there are 12 possible sweeps of adjustment (1 sweep equals 1/4 turn).
    Compression - Insert a screwdriver into the lower adjustment device. Turning the screw driver from left to right (clockwise) will cause the forces to increase. From the factory or minimum position, there are 12 possible "clicks" of adjustment.

I have mine set on the softest settings for both. They came that way as I recall (also listed in the quote) but I confirmed when installed. I am very pleased with how mine rides. These cars have a stiff racing type suspension. But I don't find it harsh at all. This build with the IRS rear setup I find more compliant and comfortable riding than my previous solid axle builds, if that's any consolation.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-18-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    My 20th Anniversary Roadster came with Koni 8212 series aluminum bodied externally double adjustable shocks. Part numbers: 8212 1447 B6. 8212 = Koni shock type (series), 1447 = size, stroke, etc. (maybe custom for FF because Koni only lists up to 1446), B6 = Valving code. Indicates these are made for 300-650 lbs./in. I say all that because I've heard these specific shocks have been discontinued and FF now supplies a different model for the aluminum double adjustable shocks. Something you may want to check. I found the following instructions on Koni's website not long after I received my shocks a couple years ago. Hopefully they apply to yours as well.

Adjustment:
    Rebound - Insert a pin into the slotted adjuster located at top eye. Moving the pin from left to right (counter - clockwise) will cause the forces to increase. From the minimum or factory position, there are 12 possible sweeps of adjustment (1 sweep equals 1/4 turn).
    Compression - Insert a screwdriver into the lower adjustment device. Turning the screw driver from left to right (clockwise) will cause the forces to increase. From the factory or minimum position, there are 12 possible "clicks" of adjustment.

I have mine set on the softest settings for both. They came that way as I recall (also listed in the quote) but I confirmed when installed. I am very pleased with how mine rides. These cars have a stiff racing type suspension. But I don't find it harsh at all. This build with the IRS rear setup I find more compliant and comfortable riding than my previous solid axle builds, if that's any consolation.

Hope that helps!
    Paul,

Fantastic. I have been dealing a few items so plan to tackle shocks today. Something came to mind so I thought I'd ask. All adjustments to be performed with shock not under load? And, did you find the adjustments were made rather freely without force?
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Paul,

Fantastic. I have been dealing a few items so plan to tackle shocks today. Something came to mind so I thought I'd ask. All adjustments to be performed with shock not under load? And, did you find the adjustments were made rather freely without force?
    I'm not sure to be honest. I set mine to the softest settings while the suspension was being assembled, and haven't touched them since. So I only have experience with them unloaded. Just quickly browsed several Koni instruction document and videos. None make it very clear whether the shocks can be adjusted under load or not. But since they are advertised as being adjustable "on the fly" (e.g. at the track, etc.) I'm willing to bet they can be adjusted under load. The adjustments are changing valving, so no reason why that shouldn't work IMO.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I set all shocks at full soft today. I'll put some miles on the car and see how it rides. Thanks.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    adding updated content - the 25th anniversary cars come with the Koni double adjustable FFR# 33965 Koni# 8212 1417B6
    just received them in my POL today...

IMG_0045.jpg IMG_0046.jpg

stamping on the bottom 8212-8221
    IMG_0047.jpg

opposite side 07-19
    IMG_0048.jpg

Koni-8212.PNG
    Last edited by toadster; 04-16-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!