Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Door hinge question

Post Thanks / Like

Door hinge question

I finished my paint.... cutting it, compounding it, polishing it... and I put the body on this weekend.... The door hinge is hitting the body. I cant move the body forward anymore... any suggestions are welcome...

IMG_20170918_073302
    It looks like the door opens far enough... is it normal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming there's nothing further you can do with the actual hinge adjustment on the door or frame, three things: (1) Make sure it needs to move as far as you have pictured here. You can limit the movement with the leather strap and still have a very wide opening at the back where you get in and out. (2) The edge on the body can be trimmed back. I usually trim it back to about 1/2-inch, although not everyone trims it that much. (3) You can trim a little out of the back edges of the hinges without affecting their strength. Just do it nice and smooth and touch up with some gloss black paint.

BTW, doesn't help for you, but for other forum members, number 1 rule. Everything fitted, mocked up, etc. before paint. It's way less stressful.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Likes StanTheMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Paul/Edwardb said this is one of the items to address upon the initial body fitting. I generally cut that flange down significantly and dress up the entire opening. My approach would be to take the flange down using a 1 1/2" drum sander on a drill.

Good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, didn't you also suggest doing the same thing to the lip around the hood opening?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daltmcintyre View Post
    Jeff, didn't you also suggest doing the same thing to the lip around the hood opening?
    I just clean them up to straighten the lines and make the depth consistent---except for the area over the driver's side footbox top which are cut farther back from the factory.

Jeff

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could not help but notice you do not have the leather check strap installed. It does limit the hinge travel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine looks about the same. The leather check strap is there to limit the travel and keep the hinge off the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I could not help but notice you do not have the leather check strap installed. It does limit the hinge travel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha guys.... I lined everything up when I was fitting everything... I just didn't remember it hitting the body... After looking close tonight, I think it is good, and that the leather straps will stop it..