Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Compartment Battery Mount - Any Cons Before I Pull The Trigger?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Compartment Battery Mount - Any Cons Before I Pull The Trigger?

Greetings,

I'm thinking of going with the Breeze Engine Compartment Battery Mount. I see the advantages, but for those who have them, what are some of the cons? Any issues I should be aware of before I pull the trigger? I'll be installing a Blueprint 306 so room shouldn't be an issue. Thank you.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If I were able to mount my battery up front by the engine near the X-Brace, then I would have done it.

The added trunk space alone would have been well worth it, but it was not possible because of my engine and transmission combination.

Check out Edwardb's 2nd build since that car had a SBF with the forward mounted battery set up:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rogress-Update

The Go-Dad-Go Chevy Cobra Pre-Go-Karting Overview:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-19-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one upfront with a SBF behind it.

I can say this as far as a "downside". While doing some recent electrical re-work, I decided to disconnect the positive lead from the battery and got lazy using a pivoting head ratchet. The handle made contact with the crank pulley. Definitely got my attention. Other than that slight snafu, I am very pleased with the battery upfront.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got mine up front with a coyote. Only con is when it needs replacing it is gonna be a pain to get out. Probably going to have to disconnect the upper radiator hose at least. Not a big enough con to keep me from doing it again if I were to build another.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post

I can say this as far as a "downside". While doing some recent electrical re-work, I decided to disconnect the positive lead from the battery and got lazy using a pivoting head ratchet. The handle made contact with the crank pulley. Definitely got my attention. Other than that slight snafu, I am very pleased with the battery upfront.
    Maybe you know this, and if so my apologies. You can avoid the attention-getting by disconnecting the negative terminal first, and then the positive terminal.

But to the OP's point; I haven't discovered any cons to putting the battery up front. Some don't care to look at their battery, but I don't have a strong feeling about whether I see the battery or not.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Maybe you know this, and if so my apologies. You can avoid the attention-getting by disconnecting the negative terminal first, and then the positive terminal.

But to the OP's point; I haven't discovered any cons to putting the battery up front. Some don't care to look at their battery, but I don't have a strong feeling about whether I see the battery or not.

Cheers,

John
    yup, I got lazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I've got mine up front with a coyote. Only con is when it needs replacing it is gonna be a pain to get out. Probably going to have to disconnect the upper radiator hose at least. Not a big enough con to keep me from doing it again if I were to build another.
    Thanks Scott. Did you go with the Breeze EZ Pack Start Kit as well? What battery did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post

Shocking. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    If I were able to mount my battery up front by the engine near the X-Brace, then I would have done it.

The added trunk space alone would have been well worth it, but it was not possible because of my engine and transmission combination.

Check out Edwardb's 2nd build since that car had a SBF with the forward mounted battery set up:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rogress-Update

The Go-Dad-Go Chevy Cobra Pre-Go-Karting Overview:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs
    Thanks Steve. I checked it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    Thanks Scott. Did you go with the Breeze EZ Pack Start Kit as well? What battery did you use?
    I don't know what the EZ pack start kit is so no. I used the yellow topped optima.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I mounted this exact box my trunk after exhausting my efforts to get the thing under the hood.
    This battery box will fit and can be mounted to the X-Bar with a little help from some KC lighting.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Tray,5334.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kcc-7301/overview/

I actually have my coolant recovery tank mounted with a pair of them.
    For the Battery box, you'd need two pair. (4 Clamps)

NOTE: Please Know That Mark's Stuff (Breeze Automotive) Works & I Am A Satisfied Customer!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-19-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine mounted low on the x-brace. Pain to put on jumper cables, battery tender, etc - really a reach! Other than that I love it.
    FFR Complete MKIV Kit (#8271)
    Ordered: Jan 21, 14, Registered: Aug 19, 15
    408 Keith Craft Engine (512 hp, 534 ftlb), Tremec TKO600, Fast EFI, 8.8 Solid 3.55:1 Rear End, FFR Replica Halibrands (9 & 10-1/2"),
    Dual Chrome Roll Bars/Bumpers/Polished Exhaust, Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    I used Mark's EZ-pak start kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    The con.....you have to look at the battery.....Someone needs to make a "High Zoot" battery case.....High Zoot, lol, you have to be old to know that one.....like 1976 motocross mags...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    My recently sold car had the battery in the front and the biggest thing against the location was removing it. Bad geometry for my old back. But I think the advantages outweigh that one disadvantage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Breeze forward box. I think the wiring and grounding were simpler. Another plus is having the weight up front. If there is a negative, the battery would be small for any larger engine. For a SBF it's fine....

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this battery https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-PC680...=odyssey+pc680 I mounted it on top of the passenger foot box laying on its side with the terminals toward the engine. I made a billet aluminum hold down bracket, the bolts holding the bracket are through the aluminum inside the passenger foot box. The cables are very short so there is very little loss of power to the starter. The battery itself is small in size but big on performance, it spins my 10.8:1 C/R 347 with no effort. -- Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the Breeze battery kit up front and like the extra trunk space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for appearance. I personally think it clutters up the engine bay. Also adds weight to the front of the car. My battery is mounted under the trunk floor. Out of site and weight over the rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put the Breeze front mount in all my builds. For those of you considering this, Tractor supply has great prices on the battery that fits in there. I think its $84.99 for the Interstate 51C
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Multiple comments about it cluttering the engine bay or having to look at it.
    From a normal look you cant even see it in my car. Maybe because the Coyote takes up so much room anyways but you have to lean way in and really be looking for it to even see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done both front and rear...haven't found any cons to the front location (and BTW, placing it at the RF is actually a better place for the weight than the LR).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I put mine on top of the passenger foot box. It was out of the way, both mechanically and visually, and made for short runs of battery cable. It was pretty easy to get in and out, and didn't require removal of the valve cover. The kit was from Breeze, I think. I'm not sure if he still makes it. I did have to fabricate a drain for it.

.boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    FFMetals makes a nice battery mount for under the trunk floor. Works with the 2015 IRS with minimal trimming on the box corners. I guess the only issue with the front battery box is planning ahead especially with brake line routing.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I've done both front and rear...haven't found any cons to the front location (and BTW, placing it at the RF is actually a better place for the weight than the LR).

Jeff
    Jeff, With the battery up front, how does it effect the front to rear weight distribution? Does it change it much? Where do you want the weight to be in the roadster (back vs front?)
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    You want the weight in the back of these cars. That is why the engine sits so far back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I mounted mine up front with my 302 and like the location. The only challenge is getting the battery out is a little tougher, but doable. Then again, how often are you removing the battery??
    Way more Pros than Cons for this setup. And way easier to do in the earlier stage of your build (before you install radiator is a good time)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!