FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 87-95 J-Pipes

Post Thanks / Like

87-95 J-Pipes

I have headers and I am looking to put the stock manifolds on to quiet he beast a bit. Ideally you would have the gaskets that go along with the pipes...
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set of the jpipes sitting in my garage... I believe it is the ones you need...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    I have a set of the jpipes sitting in my garage... I believe it is the ones you need...
    PMed
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't heard from you in awhile Lawrence. Glad to see you posting again. You have to be getting "close".

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    Haven't heard from you in awhile Lawrence. Glad to see you posting again. You have to be getting "close".

Rick
    I am pretty much on the road. I have a bunch of little things to figure out. The main hold up is that I forgot to account for the tax that would be due when registering the car. When I realized that I wouldn't be able to get my car on the road this season I turned my attention to tracking my other car (a Scion FR-S). Now that the track season is over, I hope to be back at it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    I am pretty much on the road. I have a bunch of little things to figure out. The main hold up is that I forgot to account for the tax that would be due when registering the car. When I realized that I wouldn't be able to get my car on the road this season I turned my attention to tracking my other car (a Scion FR-S). Now that the track season is over, I hope to be back at it!
    Penndot cashed my check just last week for PA tax on the kit. Waiting patiently for title/registration to process. The fact they cashed my check is a good sign. And yep, didn't even occur to me I would have to cough up tax when titling the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Penndot cashed my check just last week for PA tax on the kit. Waiting patiently for title/registration to process. The fact they cashed my check is a good sign. And yep, didn't even occur to me I would have to cough up tax when titling the car.
    Out of curiosity, how much did it cost you for the whole process and what was the breakdown?

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity, how much did it cost you for the whole process and what was the breakdown?

I used a local hotrod shop out of Pottstown who does safety inspections. He charged me 200 bucks to do the inspection, pickup/drop off my car, and prepare all the paperwork. I had visited his shop during the build process so I could get a good idea of what was needed as far as the safety equipment goes.

Essentially,

1. Wiper motor, switch activated (not a manual wiper)
    2. Heat shields

For paperwork:

1. FFR bill of sale
    2. Certificate of Origin
    3. Drivers License
    4. Proof of Insurance (I used a forum vender)
    5. Document stating how I built the car....i.e. "I followed the FFR manual"

He picked the car up on a Friday and dropped it back off on a Tuesday with a prepared document packet. I took that down to the DMV and wrote a check for 6% of the FFR bill of sale plus a additional fees for the title, registration, and DMV processing (153 bucks if I remember, don't quote me on that).

Now I wait........

Woman at the DMV said it will take 6-8 weeks. The guy who did the safety inspection said I will have a plate in 2-3 weeks. I hope the former is the real truth. Once I receive the title and plates, I drive the car back down to the Hot Rod shop and he will apply the registration sticker.

That's all there really is too it.

if you have specific questions, give me a shout on PM. I highly recommend this guy out of Pottstown. Some safety inspection stations will rope you into all sorts of safety equipment such as backup lights, windshield mounted wipers, heater/defroster.

Note *

Harrisburg is requiring the side-pipes to be completely covered. This guy gets around that issue by wrapping the side pipes not covered by heat shield with exhaust heat wrap.

Also, I think we talked about title of donor at one point in an off thread convo. Don't sweat that, doesn't even come into the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    The main hold up is that I forgot to account for the tax that would be due when registering the car. !
    Do they not take into account any taxes you already paid, either when you purchased it from FFR, or for all the items/parts you purchased to build it?

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Do they not take into account any taxes you already paid, either when you purchased it from FFR, or for all the items/parts you purchased to build it?
    Yes they do take that into account, but if the car was delivered there was no tax paid. FFR only recently started charging tax on picked up kits at the factory. I know, because i picked mine up in june and paid 6.25% tax there.
    The only reason why I decided to pick it up was because i found out Pa is a reciprocating state with Massachusetts, so when i register my car, i can show i paid tax already in Mass and they accept that.
    That's also why i only got the base kit with minimal options on pick up. It's a lower tax costs.
    If i got the complete with $3000 more of options, that would be $1380 tax on a $23000 compete kit build.

Pa dmv only cares about the receipt showing the kit listed. All my other parts bought much later or before need not show proof of tax, nor do they ask.

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have headers and I am looking to put the stock manifolds on to quiet he beast a bit. Ideally you would have the gaskets that go along with the pipes...

But more importantly, i have a set of j pipes if your interested, and i can meet you or even drop them off. I live about 20 minutes outside Philly. We spoke before on here.

Let me know. Send me a PM if interested. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a local hotrod shop out of Pottstown who does safety inspections. He charged me 200 bucks to do the inspection, pickup/drop off my car, and prepare all the paperwork. I had visited his shop during the build process so I could get a good idea of what was needed as far as the safety equipment goes.

Essentially,

1. Wiper motor, switch activated (not a manual wiper)
    2. Heat shields

For paperwork:

1. FFR bill of sale
    2. Certificate of Origin
    3. Drivers License
    4. Proof of Insurance (I used a forum vender)
    5. Document stating how I built the car....i.e. "I followed the FFR manual"

He picked the car up on a Friday and dropped it back off on a Tuesday with a prepared document packet. I took that down to the DMV and wrote a check for 6% of the FFR bill of sale plus a additional fees for the title, registration, and DMV processing (153 bucks if I remember, don't quote me on that).

Now I wait........

Woman at the DMV said it will take 6-8 weeks. The guy who did the safety inspection said I will have a plate in 2-3 weeks. I hope the former is the real truth. Once I receive the title and plates, I drive the car back down to the Hot Rod shop and he will apply the registration sticker.

That's all there really is too it.

if you have specific questions, give me a shout on PM. I highly recommend this guy out of Pottstown. Some safety inspection stations will rope you into all sorts of safety equipment such as backup lights, windshield mounted wipers, heater/defroster.

Note *

Harrisburg is requiring the side-pipes to be completely covered. This guy gets around that issue by wrapping the side pipes not covered by heat shield with exhaust heat wrap.

Also, I think we talked about title of donor at one point in an off thread convo. Don't sweat that, doesn't even come into the picture.
    This is really fantastic information. Thank you! Having someone pickup and drop off the car is a huge bonus. Hopefully he would be willing to come to Philly if I paid a bit more... What is the name of the shop?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really fantastic information. Thank you! Having someone pickup and drop off the car is a huge bonus. Hopefully he would be willing to come to Philly if I paid a bit more... What is the name of the shop?
    talk to Dave(the owner)

https://www.blastfromthepastinc.com/

If you don't have windshield wipers installed, you can surely use what I used and give it back to me when past inspection. It will save you $140.00 to not have to buy the wiper motor. Clips on to the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    talk to Dave(the owner)

https://www.blastfromthepastinc.com/

If you don't have windshield wipers installed, you can surely use what I used and give it back to me when past inspection. It will save you $140.00 to not have to buy the wiper motor. Clips on to the windshield.
    Ok, I gave them a call. I am waiting to hear back from Dave about the specifics, but they are willing to get the car from Philly! And I already have wipers for what little good they do.

Last edited by lahrs37; 09-21-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't you know it.....Got my plate today.

Just need to take the car (yes I can drive it there) down to Dave and have him slap a sticker on it and I am officially legal. Woop woop woop!

P.S.

Dave will guide you through the process from start to finish. From the time I got my paperwork to the local auto tag and having a plate in hand was less than two weeks.

words cannot express how excited I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is awesome!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!

Dave is picking up my car on October 3rd. Unfortunately that was the earliest he could do it. I am crossing my fingers that everything goes as smoothly for me as it did for you.

Wouldn't you know it.....Got my plate today.

Just need to take the car (yes I can drive it there) down to Dave and have him slap a sticker on it and I am officially legal. Woop woop woop!

P.S.

Dave will guide you through the process from start to finish. From the time I got my paperwork to the local auto tag and having a plate in hand was less than two weeks.

words cannot express how excited I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I know. I spoke to him tonight about scheduling a time to come and get my registration sticker and he mentioned he spoke to you.

Do yourself a favor one of these days and pay his shop a visit. You can't help but walk away either being very inspired or with the thought " I have so much more to learn ". A car show in progress is best how to describe it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I know. I spoke to him tonight about scheduling a time to come and get my registration sticker and he mentioned he spoke to you.

Do yourself a favor one of these days and pay his shop a visit. You can't help but walk away either being very inspired or with the thought " I have so much more to learn ". A car show in progress is best how to describe it.
    That is awesome. I will make the pilgrimage for my registration sticker.