Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: couple Questions

Post Thanks / Like

couple Questions

In my infinite wisdom when I mocked up the truck I didnt mark anything or the hinges in place.... Dont ask... Stupid move... Now that I am done painting it is a different animal. When I was mocking up I didnt care about hitting the trunk of the body or moving it around... Now that paint is done... I need to be more careful. Any tips on setting the trunk back in place and getting it squared away without my brute way? ha

Also I dont have a grounding strap for the gas cap.... IS there a specific wire I should use? gauge wise and all?
    Last edited by awd-turbo; 09-20-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tape all edges with masking tape. Lay a towel over the rear cowl. This helps provide a cushion for bumps during installation. Have someone help you hold the panel in place while you get all the bolts in and snug, move carefully and slowly. When testing the panel fit, just move it slowly and be looking at both sides carefully while you lower the trunk, especially the first few times. Once close, use the palm of your hand to gently bump around.
    The grounding strap that came with mine is only maybe 16 gauge wire, not much really for static electricity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do what PeteH said. Don't leave the tape on for long with fresh paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok cool thanks for some tips guys...

I'm gonna drop 14 gauge wire for the grounding strap. Might do 12. We will see. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Either 12 or 14 gauge should do the trick. It's only to prevent static charge building up. Any static would drain off continuously, not like one big charge releasing all at once.

I don't know what model you have, but with my MK3.1, I added rubber gaskets under the trunk hinges. This shimmed them up a tad, to allow the trunk lid to swing open without the top edge rubbing the body. If you have the hidden MK4 hinges, this is not an issue.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010