BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring under carpet

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring under carpet

Hi Gang,

Getting ready to do the install of my heated seats. I plan to run the wiring from the seats on the floor, but up against the transmission tunnel. My heated seat switches are in my dash. Do you guys usually just run the wiring under the carpet, up the transmission tunnel, to the underside of the dash?

Do you use anything to cover the wiring?

Thanks!

Scottie

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I did. Ran the wires in the corners up to the dash. I use Lizard Skin, so put the wires in place before spraying. So they're covered with that plus the carpet.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I joined mine into the main harness inside the tunnel. More hassle, but very clean.

I don't think there is any issue with under the carpet. OEMs do it all the time. Just make sure you have a protective cover on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Hi Gang,

Getting ready to do the install of my heated seats. I plan to run the wiring from the seats on the floor, but up against the transmission tunnel. My heated seat switches are in my dash. Do you guys usually just run the wiring under the carpet, up the transmission tunnel, to the underside of the dash?

Do you use anything to cover the wiring?

Thanks!

Scottie
    I'm running my wires up next to the tunnel, same as you. I am covering with 2" wide aluminum tape to hold in place, under the dynamat and carpet.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 09-22-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I went through the side of the tunnel aft of the seat and ran them up through there. I have the Kirkey high backs though so that may be a little different.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh good ideas. Thanks gang. Aluminum tape, I used a ton of that with wiring on my racecar. Worked great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if aluminum tape was the protective cover Avalanche was thinking of? Perhaps he meant loom cover?

I believe as long as it's placed in a position that it won't be rubbed, crushed, or traumatized in any way, causing it to short out, you should be good to go with it under the carpet.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill. I'll make sure I'm protected and out of the way

Post Thanks / Like
    I did mean some type of loom. But I would also tape that in place if running under the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally wouldnt run any wiring under the carpet. Like others, I ran wires for the Cobra heated seats inside the trans tunnel. The wires are in a loom and come into the cockpit behind the seats. I drilled holes and installed grommets. The wire loom is pushed through the gommet and cut close for a nice look. Same approach under the dash. Hidden by a console. I've also installed a connection for a heated motorcycle jacket liner in the same manner. Through the Trans tunnel then around the back of the drivers seat. The connection sits between the seat cushion and the lower side support

Post Thanks / Like
    All my wiring is inside the split plastic tubing like in AC Bills post. Nothing under the carpeting. Front to rear wire runs down the transmission tunnel attached to the square chassis tubes. Tunnel cover is removable with 4 black upholstery screws.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank to all for the advice. Looks like I will need to plan this wire routing a little better

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiring under carpet has been standard automotive engineering practice since they started installing carpet. Planning ahead and adding it into the rear harness is also a good choice. Properly routed and protected either way works. Good luck whatever you decide.

This picture shows where I routed mine in the corners of the cockpit and then up and behind the dash for the switches and power, like mentioned previously. Covered with insulation and carpet, the wires are hidden and protected. No connections or splices are buried, so short of a break in a multi-strand wire (unlikely) no downside IMO.

Last edited by edwardb; 09-21-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Wiring under carpet has been standard automotive engineering practice since they started installing carpet. Planning ahead and adding it into the rear harness is also a good choice. Properly routed and protected either way works. Good luck whatever you decide.

This picture shows where I routed mine in the corners of the cockpit and then up and behind the dash for the switches and power, like mentioned previously. Covered with insulation and carpet, the wires are hidden and protected. No connections or splices are buried, so short of a break in a multi-strand wire (unlikely) no downside IMO.

This picture is really helpful. much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree w/ EdwardB. Look under any regular car. The only wires you will see are the very ends that go to ABS sensors and similar. They put them IN the car under the carpet so they are protected from road debris. Generally they are within a plastic housing which is mated to a hollow in the foam insulation under the carpet. I would run them similar to EdwardBs and take a quick cell phone pic of each side. Print it and file it w/ all your other info. That way, a year from now, when you decide to mount something, you can get that pic out to remind yourself exactly where the wires are.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having worked in the automotive industry for 42 years I can tell you it is common practice to run wires under carpet. Manufacturers try to run in ways to avoid contact pressure as much as possible. My heated seat wires for the PS run down where the tunnel meets the floor and go under the seat from the inside. The DS wires run down where the sill meets the floor and go under the seat on the outside. Both seats are raised 3/4 inch to avoid wire damage.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.