Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Wisconsin roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Southern Wisconsin roadster

Hi,
    I'm new here but, I have wanted to build a mk4 for a long time.
    I'm within a year of starting now.

I would like to know if there is anyone in the area that would let me look at there car, and maybe get a ride.

I live in Janesville and would love to see a car or two that are within a hour or two drive.

Thanks,

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd sign up for the Factory Five build school if you don't find anybody in your area.
    You'll learn how to build a car in three days if you don't already possess the skills today.
    It's pretty near you and over in Howell Michigan.
    Welcome Aboard From Way Down South In New Orleans!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,
    I am planning on going to the build school this winter.
    I am fairly comfortable working on cars but will always accept advice.

I'm looking to get to sit in one to make sure it's right for me.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm right at 5'10" with a 32" inseam and the car fits me like a glove.

I am installing Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive) seat mounts to give me some adjustability and little lean to the seats.

Good Luck & Hope You Officially Join The Club By Ordering Your Car!

This is an amazing journey and you'll totally understand very soon.

https://youtu.be/yL4UmpII9ek
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-20-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    X2 on the build school. You learn so much and for me it took the intimidation factor out of the project. I left knowing I could build the roadster. Good luck future builder.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Packer Fan,

I'm in Burlington and have been building since November of '16. It's no where near "done" but I just received my registration on Saturday and already have 400+ miles on it. I didn't finish a bunch of things just so I could enjoy driving for the last few weeks of fall this year. Come winter, I'm blowing the car all back apart to go back to the things I purposely skipped(heater, parking brake, etc...).

I'd be more than happy to meet and give you a ride. Just 10 minutes from me another forum member(ThickCobra) also just received registration for his 20th anniversary MKIV. He's essentially done except for paint/body work. Yet another builder 15 minutes north of us got his MKIV a few months ago and is mid-build. So if you were willing to come to Burlington/Wind Lake area, you could potentially see 3 cars in different stages.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,

PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo,
    Your idle sounds awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    What TJ said - bummer, though, you missed a great get-together this past weekend at ThickCobra's place with three cars there (that went out for a ride on the local rustic roads... and with one seat empty). I'm sure that won't be the last get-together in the area and I'm always looking for ways to put miles on my slightly older Mk3.1.

Hope to see you soon!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I live right down Rt 14 from you! I'm sure we can work something out! I love to give rides!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this really was kinda bad timing. As Chris(Gumball) said, we just had the get together at ThickCobra's place this past Saturday that would have been perfect.

Chis and Steno, we need to get Jay on this thread and the four of us along with Packer Fan can plan something. Based on this thread, another local(Antioch) perspective buyer also PM'ed me about meeting. That would be four very different and unique cars for these guys to take a look at. I'd volunteer to host but I seriously lack parking at my place. Is there a good in-between public location we could meet around the IL/WI border? We could do our own little cars and coffee before the weather finally shuts us down.

Thoughts?

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a nice little place in Hebron, Illinois on Il Rt47 called Mary's on Maple. Good parking and pretty much in the middle.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    There's a nice little place in Hebron, Illinois on Il Rt47 called Mary's on Maple. Good parking and pretty much in the middle.
    I am less than 25 minutes from Mary's on Maple, so if we could make that work it would be great. Columbus day weekend anyone? And Steno, finally get to meet you.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to use this thread as our own private message system but oh well... I'm good with Mary's, but what about this coming Sunday for everyone? Supposed to be crazy nice weather this weekend but is that too short of notice? Even if we can't get everyone there, I'd still be in for a coffee meeting and ride. I don't need much of an excuse to get out and drive!

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an annual outing on Sunday. Saturday is better for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can make it to Mary's in Hebron on Saturday for sort of a "recon" run if not everyone is available. We do a little Cars & Coffee in my area early, but I can head out of that and be at Mary's by around 10 or so.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, well maybe this weekend just won't work as well. I'm going skydiving tomorrow(Sat) morning so I wouldn't be available until mid afternoon at the earliest. I guess this weekend was just too short of notice.

Chris and Steno, I don't have either of your phone numbers to text you. If you PM me your numbers we can make this easier than using the site and maybe come up with a plan.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepurz View Post
    Hmmm, well maybe this weekend just won't work as well. I'm going skydiving tomorrow(Sat) morning so I wouldn't be available until mid afternoon at the earliest. I guess this weekend was just too short of notice.

Chris and Steno, I don't have either of your phone numbers to text you. If you PM me your numbers we can make this easier than using the site and maybe come up with a plan.

-TJ
    Text sent, so you have my number. Let's plan for a week or two out.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Mid afternoon is good for me. I just want to get out for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I'm late to the thread guys. Can't do this weekend as I have the grand kids. And, my engine oil leak is pretty messy. But, I will do everything possible to locate the source and repair it as riden' is what I want to do. Hopefully I track it down in the next week.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mid afternoon is good for me. I just want to get out for a bit.
    I'm still open to meet Columbus day weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in on that weekend, too.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay and I discussed yesterday and I'm definitely in. I'll hit up the other two guys and see about Steno also. Are we thinking Saturday or Sunday? Chris, did you check out that diner last weekend?

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope - didn't make it up there last weekend. I think Sten has been there before, though. There's also a good custard / ice cream shop across the street. Plenty of on-street parking and it looks like they have a packed gravel parking lot along the side.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Replacing my front crank main seal tomorrow, Wednesday. If everything goes well, I'm in . Looking forward to putting a few mile on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone, I'm the (Antioch) guy TJ mentioned earlier. I look forward to meeting everyone. I should have a MK build starting in a year maybe two. Earlier if the lotto issues my 6 digit retirement code. I'm good for Sunday to 8th in Hebron.

Corey

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but Hebron is probably a bit too far for me to make it this weekend. But, Packer Fan, to your original question, I recently moved to Lake Mills and I'd be happy to meet up sometime. There's just this one suspension thing that I need to take care of before I do any more long trips ... I hope to have that finished up soon (maybe this weekend!).
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    I also just noticed this thread. I can't make it this weekend but PM me if you get together again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bren and Slowleak, nice to see others pop into this discussion. You both mentioned not being able to make it, but if something changes we're meeting at Mary's on Maple in Hebron, IL at 9am tomorrow(Sunday 10/8). Unfortunately I think we're slowly running out of good weather in WI, but hopefully we can do this again!

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad we all got together! I really liked the variations of the builds! I hope you don't mind if I steal an idea or two for my winter upgrades! Are these cars EVER done?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad we all got together! I really liked the variations of the builds! I hope you don't mind if I steal an idea or two for my winter upgrades! Are these cars EVER done?
    I wouldn't say "we all got together...." I'm really bummed that I had to miss the outing - hopefully weather will give us a chance for one more get-together before it turns too cold.

Hope everyone had a good time and would love to see pics if anyone took some.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Packer Fan, I grew up in Janesville, and still think of it as home. I live in Monroe, Michigan now, and when/if you go to build school, you'll be just over an hour drive from me. I'm still very early in my build, but if you want to come by and see my progress, talk Janesville, the Packers, and Badger football, you're more than welcome.
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it was too bad you couldn't make it Chris. Hope your event went well though, it was PERFECT weather. We unexpectedly ended up with 4 cars instead of just three since Slowleak made the long trip from Verona which was awesome! Corey got a chance to see four VERY uniquely built cars and I think we got him pretty excited. We had another prospective FFR buyer as well and he and Corey are practically neighbors. So that'll be two more local cars in the short term future.

4 cars parking on Main Street made for quite the gathering, and the owner of Mary's even came out and chatted for a bit. Unfortunately we didn't end up going for a ride together and kind of split up after lunch and all went our own way. Next time we need to have a caravan for sure! What a perfect day for riding though, I hit up Lake Geneva and about 150 miles miles getting purposely lost on as many backroads as possible.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    TJ -

Yes - the other event was great. As mentioned in my "regrets" text, I had committed to a charity show that is hosted by some friends in the far south suburbs and it was rescheduled to Sunday. Unfortunately, it was way down by I-80 and I-355, so just too far to make it to both gatherings.

So, instead of hanging with you guys, my poor FFR was sorely outclassed by this group of classics.....

And here's a pic from last year's event, which shows the barn on the vineyard, which serves as his mancave and car shop.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, everyone who didn't have a previous engagement came. Didn't mean to cut you out. Besides, without you there my car had the best paint job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides, without you there my car had the best paint job!
    Red gel-coat was definitely the new "IN" color!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Sten - no offense taken.... I was just hoping we'd all have a chance to regroup in the next couple weeks - still lots of fall colors to come, so a ride along the stateline would be a great thing.

How about the next meeting at a race track? The Midwest Council is hosting their season finale - "The Loooong Race" at Blackhawk Farms in Beloit on the weekend of 10/28-29. Would be pretty cool to have a gathering of cars and builders (including those interested in building) in the paddock.

Blackhawk Farms is located about 40 miles southwest of the Lake Geneva area and can be reached via either I-43 or Rt. 67.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    That's right... red IS the new black!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Hey Sten - no offense taken.... I was just hoping we'd all have a chance to regroup in the next couple weeks - still lots of fall colors to come, so a ride along the stateline would be a great thing.

How about the next meeting at a race track? The Midwest Council is hosting their season finale - "The Loooong Race" at Blackhawk Farms in Beloit on the weekend of 10/28-29. Would be pretty cool to have a gathering of cars and builders (including those interested in building) in the paddock.

Blackhawk Farms is located about 40 miles southwest of the Lake Geneva area and can be reached via either I-43 or Rt. 67.
    Chris,

I would be interested in attending one of the two days. Sounds like a great gathering and would you have any specifics. Does one need to be invited, is there a fee, etc.?

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay,

No invitation necessary - not classified as a "spectator event," but they typically allow people in if you're willing to sign the track waiver and sometimes pay a nominal gate fee (not sure if Blackhawk charges one - last time I went there it was no fee.

Also, I have a friend who builds and maintains some of the vintage cars that will be racing - yep, the oldies will be on-track both days - so I'll give him a heads up we're thinking about coming so that we have a name to use at the gate if that ends up being necessary.

Paddock space is huge with tons of great spectating areas. We'd have a pre-determined location to meet inside the track, then everyone can wander to their heart's content.

Let's stay flexible as to which day (Sat or Sun) so that we can pick the better of the two weather-wise.

Hope lots of you can make it!!!!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast