BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash install and Russ Thompson turn Signal

Post Thanks / Like

Dash install and Russ Thompson turn Signal

I am about to permanently install my dash and I am not sure if it is in the correct position. The top of the dash is currently about a 1/4 inch higher than the top of the 3/4 inch tube in the middle and almost a 1/2 inch above 3/4 inch tube perpendicular to the steering column. Is that correct? I also have the dash 3/16 of an inch below the corner of the 3/4 inch tube as specified in the book. The only way i can get any wiggle room is to make the whole that the Russ Thompson turn signal goes through bigger. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    I am about to permanently install my dash and I am not sure if it is in the correct position. The top of the dash is currently about a 1/4 inch higher than the top of the 3/4 inch tube in the middle and almost a 1/2 inch above 3/4 inch tube perpendicular to the steering column. Is that correct? I also have the dash 3/16 of an inch below the corner of the 3/4 inch tube as specified in the book. The only way i can get any wiggle room is to make the whole that the Russ Thompson turn signal goes through bigger. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Craig
    That does not sound right. Center of the dash is flush with the hoop. There should be 3/16" of the hoop visible at the ends. I've been told that the curvature of the hoop is not tightly controlled as it is not critical. Center of hoop might not be center of vehicle and the hoop can be different from car to car.

I used the aluminum dash. If you are using the pre padded plastic dash this may not be a good reference. I did open up the steering column hole to accommodate the RT turn signal.

You might want to include a photo of what you have before your mount it permanently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    while I can't help with your question, Mike Everson at replicaparts.com has a nice bezel designed for Russ' mod. Makes for a nice clean look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure there's a one-size-fits-all answer, but here are a few photos that may help establish a starting point. First photo shows the left side and the center of the dash panel. On the left side the panel's about 3/16" lower than the top of the 3/4 tube (right at the "Y" in "Yarde"), and about 1/4" below the top of the hoop in the center. Second photo shows the right side, which is probably approaching 1/2" below the top of the 3/4" tube. I came up with this position by setting the left side at the recommended 3/16" and then letting the right side go wherever it needed to be to make the bottom of the dash panel level horizontally as measured with a bubble level. I just put the body on the car a couple weeks ago and I can tell you that, as low as this position appears to be, I wouldn't want it any higher as the curved ends of the dash are nearly in contact with the underside of the body. So if the top of your dash panel is 1/4" above the hoop in the center I'm guessing that's too high.

With regard to the steering column cutout when using the RT turn signal mod, the cutout will probably need to be enlarged in the vertical direction. The first photo shows the shape of the unmodified cutout in the dash panel; the third photo shows how that shape was modified to allow the RT housing to pass through. I'm also a fan of the Everson bezel, which you can see in the last photo. Ended up close to the oil pressure gauge, so you'll want to check the position of the bezel with your gauges temporarily installed.

Of course the fool proof way to fit-check the dash would be with the body on the chassis. I wound up needing to temporarily install the body to make sure my seat placement didn't interfere with the back of the cockpit, so knowing what I know now I'd put the body on and check the dash and the seats at the same time. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help and the pictures. It looks like mine is to high and I believe the problem is the RT turn signal hole that I made is to low. I need to move the hole slightly higher to allow the dash to drop slightly. also, I do have the turn signal bezel as well. Thanks for the advice of putting the body on. One question Karlos, where did you get the bezels that cover the black switches on the bottom of your dash?

6. Thanks MagicalDonna thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, check the bottom of the dash for levle. If you go soley off the hoop, you will most likely not be level and will look off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    One question Karlos, where did you get the bezels that cover the black switches on the bottom of your dash?

Not sure. Summit, I think, but it's been a long time since the dash first went together. I'll look in my (distressingly thick) pile of receipts and post the part number if I can find it.
    Last edited by karlos; 09-27-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If easy to find, great. If not don't knock your self out. Thanks again.