Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My One Year Delay Is Now Over!

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Your perseverance, great attitude and good humor are an inspiration! I know you'll get this issue resolved.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that it is the block.

The DART block should last pretty much forever though.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David,
    We all know that the difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude so what else can I do?

Avalanche,
    I'm not 100% sure what the culprit is, but I feel confident that by the end of the weekend I'll know for sure.
    If a Dart Block becomes the foundation, then the only OE Chevy part that will be on this car will be the ZF 6-Speed Transmission.
    The block is already topped with Dart Heads so they may feel more at home on a Dart Block!

Thanks All!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your attitude is an inspiration. And in reality, the best way to go about a project of this magnitude.

Well done my brother.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's The Block Gentlemen!

The Water jackets in the bottom of the block were hit and sealed by the builder when he opened things up to clear the rotating assembly.

I didn't do the work so my Former Motor Mentor will be getting a call from me on Monday or Tuesday.

The reason for the delay for my call is because I need to cool my temper a bit and say a prayer for patience.

Have A Great Weekend Gang & Stand At Attention With Your Hand Over Your Heart When Our National Anthem Is Played!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-01-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that Steve. Thanks for your inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that Steve. Kinda' blows that he apparently knew that he created a problem and didn't step up

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Sorry to hear that Steve. Kinda' blows that he apparently knew that he created a problem and didn't step up

Jeff
    If the block wasn't capable of being opened up enough to install this rotating assembly, then he should have said that we needed a new block.
    Instead, he put J.B. Weld or some similar product in two spots in the of the block to seal the holes that he had to make to clear the assembly.
    Since I've told him about the issue, he's insisted on coming over to put "Bock Sealant" in my engine which was never going to happen.
    Liers Lie & Stealers Steal; however, I didn't think he was either so now I know.

I'll Be Ordering A Dart Block On Payday!

Some lessons need to be learned the hard way and the one I keep learning is that putting faith in any person is often unwarranted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for your troubles
    You have a great attitude though

Post Thanks / Like
    Man Steve that is rough to hear. Sorry man

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Liers Lie & Stealers Steal; however, I didn't think he was either so now I know.
    Some lessons need to be learned the hard way and the one I keep learning is that putting faith in any person is often unwarranted.
    Ugh indeed

I'll Be Ordering A Dart Block On Payday!.
    But here is the silver lining...
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    Sorry to hear of your engine problems but as many have said better now or somewhere close to home than cruising a distance away. Had that happen, wasn't any fun and rather expensive. Hope your engine builder can help you out. BTW, I've been a Chevy and Vette fan for years, so no ribbing from me. I will, however, laugh at the cartoons.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    When you get things sorted out Steve, take the old block and place it on his front porch.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tough break Steve and I know it hurts all the more knowing that the guy who did the machine work covered his tracks instead of owning the mistake and making it right. Good call on the corrective action -- you will end up with a bulletproof block that should last you a long time and allow you to add power down the road if you choose. You can never have too much horsepower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry that's what the problem is. But at least you found it early on. No way can you seal a block once you hit water. I ended up buying a new block for my customer when I hit water clearancing it. I made him pay for new rod bolts. The heads on those bolts were absolutely huge. I bet you have a similar set of rod bolts.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    Sorry to hear about your engine problems. I know you will get it worked out. As something e who is just starting the build process, it makes me very nervous to read about the unexpected (and probably expensive) surprises. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Tough break Steve and I know it hurts all the more knowing that the guy who did the machine work covered his tracks instead of owning the mistake and making it right. Good call on the corrective action -- you will end up with a bulletproof block that should last you a long time and allow you to add power down the road if you choose. You can never have too much horsepower.

NAZ,

I've known this fellow and used his machine shop since 1982 and I never had an issue with his work so he was my Go-To-Guy for over 30 years.
    That's why I had no issue letting him do the work since I was uncomfortable with doing block clearancing and other more difficult assembly processes associated with building an H-Beam Long Rodded Stroker Motor.
    What blew me away was the fact that he attempted to hide his tracks and built the motor when he knew that I needed an aftermarket block to make it all fit.

Factory Five Gang,
    I appreciate all of your support and know that soon there will be no Chevy Cobra coming out of my garage.
    It Will Be A Dart Cobra Instead!

PS: If any of you have not seen NAZ's build album, then you don't know what you are missing.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-01-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Major bummer! Best of luck with the new block!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures please

Post Thanks / Like
    One piece of advice I got when I started out was there is nothing you can't fix or re-do on your build. It may cost a little time and (maybe a lot of) money, but you can recover from just about anything. I have a bunch of mistakes hanging from the garage wall. I bet you do, too, but the block might be a bit cumbersome to display. Maybe you can re-purpose it. A planter with 8 daisies? A really big paper weight for really big bank contracts? A boat anchor? I know you'll get pretty creative, Steve!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    This'll all be water under the bridge (sorry for that) once you have one of these sitting in the shop. Well, not exactly one of these - yours will be the Chevy version!!!!

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Proud of you for pushing through.

To me the worst is not the problem, but the potential loss of a friendship after all those years. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but it's always difficult when mentors become human in our eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dart Block Ordered!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dart Block Ordered!
    Way to go, Steve!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that sucks Steve about your engine guy but damn a dart block is a nice way to get over it.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here Is My Final Update To This String!

1. . Last evening I called my Former Motor Mentor / aka: Mr. Boyd Breaux of Slidell Louisiana to discuss the issue with my engine.
    2. . I explained to him that I had found the source of the water and that it was coming from the lower water jackets of the block.
    3. . I also explained to him how surprised I was when I found J/B Weld or some other substance in two areas different spots.
    4. . I advised him that if the block was not capable of handling my H-Beam Rods or if he simply hit a water jacket by accident, then he should have let me know.
    5. . For the record, I did explain how disappointed I was especially since he wanted to put block sealer in my engine post water leak.
    6. . That action in my mind was his attempt to simply cover and/or hide his tracks.
    7. . During the conversation, he was advised that if he had any honor at all, then he would return the funds I paid him to build the engine.
    8. . The conversation became tense and I calmly informed him that he had no honor which was sad.
    9. . I advised him that I would pray for God to give him some honor and that I was turning him over to God.
    10. At this point, I do not expect any return of any funds and I'm not exactly okay with that, but his choices are his and his honor is non-existent.

Shown Below Is The Gentleman Of Whom I Speak In The Attached Picture Between Baby Go-Dad & Yours Truly.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attac...3&d=1460085283
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-03-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you pay him w/ a credit card? If so, file a claim.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been following Steve
    sorry to hear of your troubles
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    CraigS,
    I am on the dark side of banking so I'm well versed in collecting and restructuring of bad and/or troubled debt in the Consumer & Commercial Arenas. I also have an abundance of attorneys that will assist me at little or not cost; however, is it worth my trouble?

Mark,
    You've helped so many folks get their stalled projects going again and I'm sure have seen many Boo-Boos made by less experienced wrench swingers. My big gripe is the lack of honesty and his willingness to hide his tracks having known this man since I was my son's age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure this is the appropriate thing to share here, but a friend of mine once reminded me of two things about people in our car hobby.....

1) All of us car-guys are "users" to some extent. He meant this in a friendly way... i.e., we all look to others to be there whenever we need them.

2) Some people just can't afford integrity. This one was a bit more cynical and, unfortunately, something I've found to be true on more than one occasion.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Not sure this is the appropriate thing to share here, but a friend of mine once reminded me of two things about people in our car hobby.....

1) All of us car-guys are "users" to some extent. He meant this in a friendly way... i.e., we all look to others to be there whenever we need them.

2) Some people just can't afford integrity. This one was a bit more cynical and, unfortunately, something I've found to be true on more than one occasion.

Chris,

Amen!
    Can't wait to build the motor myself once the block is in punched .030 over and ready to go.
    Integrity is something that you either have or you don't.
    Could Not Agree More!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    I have been following this thread and truly am sorry to hear how it is playing out. You are a man of infinite patience and integrity. You are correct that your attitude is everything, and sometimes better to just get on with it rather than dwell on it. Mr. Breaux's reputation is now known in these circles.
    You'll have a soundly built screamer when finished, and will sleep well at night knowing what went into it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris,

Amen!
    Can't wait to build the motor myself once the block is in punched .030 over and ready to go.
    Integrity is something that you either have or you don't.
    Could Not Agree More!

Steve
    Steve,

Back in my Army days I was taught that Integrity is how a person acts when they know no one is watching. I wonder how your builder would have responded had you been there when the mistake was made?

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 10-03-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adubbelde View Post
    Pictures please
    I can't post pictures to save my life so I'll be doing a YOUTUBE this weekend and will post it on Sunday.

NOTE: The posting picture thing is NOT a forum problem, but the end user stinks at this stuff.

End User >>---------> Go-Dad-Go / aka: Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for your pain, this is suppose to be fun. I personally waited most my life to do this and I guess others are not very supportive.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Steve,

Back in my Army days I was taught that Integrity is how a person acts when they know no one is watching. I wonder how you builder would have responded had you been there when the mistake was made?

Dave
    Damn straight. I'm a little jealous though Steve.. when the pain wears off you will be left with a good story and a truly killer motor.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After break in and two oil changes the 35 Go-Kart miles driven were amazing I must admit.

Does anybody know if can get away with I moving the Cam and lifter over in addition to the rotating assembly?
    Keeping each lifter with it's corresponding lobe is a must, but is there any concerns with migrating the cam and lifters to a new block?
    If we have any master mechanics and/or engine builders that know for sure, then please let me know.
    I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
    Okay, I'm not British so I'll make the statement penny wise and dollar foolish.

Comp Cams Extreme Energy 284 Hydraulic Flat Tappet.
    Duration @ 0.006": 284° / 296°
    Duration @ 0.050": 240° / 246°
    Max Lift w/ 1.5RR: .507" / .510"
    Lobe Separation: 110°
    Intake Centerline: 106°
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-03-2017 at 02:59 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, as a professional technician and avid hot rodder I've built and repaired lots of engines over the last half-century but can't recall moving a cam to a new block. However, I know enough about cams, lifters, and cam wear in general to state my opinion for what it's worth:

You already mentioned a requirement to keep the lifters with the corresponding lobe. I see no problem moving the valve train as long as you keep the wear surfaces on the cam and lifters matched. The only thing the cam will see is new bearings and that is not a concern. If it was me, I'd have no problem moving the cam and lifters to the new block and I'm as anal about doing things right as you will find.

However, I would not reuse any critical fasteners (head bolts, rod bolts, main cap screws, etc.). As an engineer I have seen way too many failures from reusing fasteners. The first two threads take the majority of the stress and when properly torqued will typically be at or near the plastic phase where permanent deformation occurs. Reusing critical fasteners is an example of dollar foolish. You will find people that claim they always reuse them and never had a problem -- they are rolling the dice. I have literally examined thousands of fasteners and seen many failures so you won't find me reusing critical fasteners.

Have fun, you're taking an interesting detour and will likely learn something new along the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the fasteners. did a rebuild one time. did not replace the rod bolts. later the oil pan looked like a hand grenade when off inside it. you could look through the oil pan from one side to the other and we found the broken connecting rod on the cross member. looking back over the broken parts it was a rod bolt failure.

An expensive lesson learned that time. please don't repeat my mistake.
    Chris AKA Gromit

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast