Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My One Year Delay Is Now Over!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    First you upset the Ford gods with one “those” engines in the Cobra. Now, you want to upset the Mopar gods by using their emblems to identify one of “those” engines. You must have balls the size of watermelons. You are really wanting to play with Karma once you get your car on the road. More power to you.��
    Aint Life Grand When You Think Outside The Box?

The Glove Box That Is!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the milestone and good luck getting it put back together. Dart is a local company here in SE Michigan and have nice stuff. Loved the Dart block I had in #7750, although one of those strange Ford variants.

I had badges made for that build by Billetbadges, as Scott suggested. Turned out great. First pic is the artwork they completed, second is the final product.

Looked great on the Roadster in the traditional badge location.

Last edited by edwardb; 11-09-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Congrats on the milestone and good luck getting it put back together. Dart is a local company here in SE Michigan and have nice stuff. Loved the Dart block I had in #7750, although one of those strange Ford variants.

I had badges made for that build by Billetbadges, as Scott suggested. Turned out great. First pic is the artwork they completed, second is the final product.

Do you mind if I borrow your design?
    Those Are Perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Do you mind if I borrow your design?
    Those Are Perfect!
    By all means. Use them! If you show the picture to Billetbadges, I bet they still have the artwork on file. Would save you some $$ and probably some time. Worth asking about.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    By all means. Use them! If you show the picture to Billetbadges, I bet they still have the artwork on file. Would save you some $$ and probably some time. Worth asking about.

Thanks Paul!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    First you upset the Ford gods with one “those” engines in the Cobra. Now, you want to upset the Mopar gods by using their emblems to identify one of “those” engines. You must have balls the size of watermelons. You are really wanting to play with Karma once you get your car on the road. More power to you.��
    That's funny right there!
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We dropped everything off at Ebert's Engines this morning so hopefully we will be running again before Christmas.
    For the record, the owner was less than thrilled when he saw the block clearance work/debacle that done by my former motor mentor.

Ebert's Engine Service
    Telephone (985) 726-0100
    60077 Highway 11,
    Slidell, LA 70458

Brian & his son Josh do all of the machining work themselves and are a full-service machine shop.
    I personally think it is great that his only son is his very capable apprentice.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you're well under way. You'll have some time to look through all those catalogs you've been collecting and think of all the cool stuff you could install on that engine once its back home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Sounds like you're well under way. You'll have some time to look through all those catalogs you've been collecting and think of all the cool stuff you could install on that engine once its back home.
    Naz,

I truly can't wait to get my 2nd, 1st Go-Kart drive.

https://youtu.be/BcsVu80VG5k

Still blows my mind that I'm having to replace the block.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Milodon "Claimer" Oil Pan Came In Today!

http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/31502/10002/-1

While this pan is identical to the "Stock Replacement Pan" that I previously purchased, it has a double baffle in the bottom and full-length windage train.
    Total capacity will 6 quarts with the PH-5 Fram filter and sandwich adapter used for my oil temperature sender.
    We're using a center style "Stock Location" pick up so it should work well for my needs.
    I'm still thinking about adding a 1-quart accumulator; however, I doubt it at this point.
    This block replacement is wearing on my nerves and my wallet.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-15-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF your going to use a FRAM filter PLEASE use the HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do some research on oil filters and I think you'll pass on the Fram filters. Filters are not all equal in performance and price is no guarantee so buying the most expensive filter on the shelf may be no better than a Fram.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is it with forums and the age old "oil filter and oil xxx is better than yours." Pops up In just about every thread.

That being said. I use wix and amsoil...
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 11-15-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    What is it with forums and the age old "oil filter and oil xxx is better than yours." Pops up In just about every thread.

That being said. I use wix and amsoil...
    Ironically I do use Amsoil in my Meanstreak and the bikes that I previously owned.
    Never really thought about it for the cars.
    Hummmmmm?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have high zinc 30 weight going in for breaking in the engine.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ne/?filters=88
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 11-15-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Trying to stay positive is really starting to become a pain in the "You Pick The Body Part!"

I plan to call the machine shop next week to see where I am in their work queue.

To say the least, I'm wondering why I even wanted to build a Cobra in the first place.

Oh yeah, I remember, it was that darn movie from 1976 "The Gumball Rally" that started my infatuation with the 427 Shelby Cobra when I was at the ripe old age of 13.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-22-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go back and review your go-cart videos -- that should help. At least you'll have good driving weather once the engine is back in the car for some immediate smoke filled gratification. Some of us are putting the toys back in the toy box for winter and won't be able to play with them until the spring thaw next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there, Steve! You'll have your dream cobra finished and on the road soon and the hiccups you experienced along the way will be forgotten.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    Perseverance and determination are omnipotent! You have both in abundance. Stay the course! All the best.

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to stay positive is really starting to become a pain in the "You Pick The Body Part!"

I plan to call the machine shop next week to see where I am in their work queue.

To say the least, I'm wondering why I even wanted to build a Cobra in the first place.

Oh yeah, I remember, it was that darn movie from 1976 "The Gumball Rally" that started my infatuation with the 427 Shelby Cobra when I was at the ripe old age of 13.
    Too funny - that was also it for me! Hang in there, every time I hit a SNAFU - I would think of that movie...

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, you gonna let this defeat you??? Come on you're really close. Time to get mean. Life throws you a curve ball, you through a knuckler right back. Your roadster will be awesome once done.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just think, you could be living up north and putting your car into a 5 month hibernation. You will be driving yours in way less than 5 months.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve
    You are one of the most encouraging guys to everyone else on the forum. I regularly get good laughs from your posts. Keep that positive attitude up. It will all be worth it in the end and your pride in overcoming the obstacles will be that much greater! Hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve,
    I just ran across this thread. Sounds like you are getting close. Love your positive attitude. Many of us have had challenges and setbacks but, when it's all done and you're cruising down the road in the car that YOU built, for some reason the harder it was and the more setbacks you had, the more rewarding and satisfying it is.
    John
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Big echos singing appreciation for your positive attitude and encouragement you provide to all on this forum. Building a car while managing all of the other demands on our lives is a challenge. You do it well, with humor and respect to all. You are one of the examples of the professionalism of this community.

With that said, these builds, and cars, are not just a challenge to our problem solving skills, or a feed for the desire, nay, "need", to build with our hands, they are an emotional attachment and journey. By nature, the emotional attachments in our lives leave us vulnerable to forces outside our control. An uncomfortable situation for many of us. Thus, when we experience the setbacks and challenges, it is an uncomfortable reminder of our true lack of control. However it is also an opportunity to dig in and push forward. Hang in there! You'll finish this thing,....and what a car, and accomplishment you will have!

To steal a line from the movie, (Gumball is one of my forever faves as well), as Raul Julia states when he first slides into the drivers seat and snaps off the rear view mirror, "What's behind me is not important!"

Go for it dude! Drop a gear, hit the throttle, and accelerate out of the curve!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Gents,

I just need to start making forward progress on this project again to get my head back in the game.

Lost a ton of time when my daily driver blew out the number 8 plug and I had to fix it:
    https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs

Lost even more time when I "Boogered Up My Left Hand" on April 23rd (really mangled pinkie "MIA" along with my ring and social finger) so my pals came in to do the 1st start on June 17th:
    https://youtu.be/p-pvogd2Bj8

I couldn't really steer the darn thing, nor could I hold a wrench, toothbrush, nor write so I didn't do any real go-karting testing until the middle of September because the hand was still problematic:
    https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

The bottom line is that this car is eating up time and money. What makes matters worse that is my entire professional life has revolved around helping people restructure their troubled debts, both personal, business and large commercial, so it is tough for me to dig a financial hole for my family. 35 years of helping folks fill their own financial holes weighs heavily on digging one for myself.

Thanks Again Gents & I Will Keep You All Posted As I'm Sure I'll Be Running Again Before Christmas!

Steve

NOTE: If I decide to sell it, then you guys will be the 1st to know, but it will get finished (minus paint) before I make a decision this spring.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-23-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just keep in mind that your finished product will have a good value, hence the ability to recover a large portion of money you have spent. So it is not just wasted. You're really just putting your money into a different investment. Might be better than the stock market. You never know. At least that's what I keep telling myself. You could have just gone out and bought a new car and in 3 years lost 30k on it. My friend bought a ZR1 Corvette a few years ago for 100k, thinking it was a good investment. He was afraid to drive it much because the mileage would hurt the value. Well, he just sold it for 65k!

Get that thing finished and start enjoying the lifestyle and friendships that goes with it! It's not a car, it's an adventure! When things go wrong it's not a problem, but an opportunity! You've had a lot of opportunities...Good luck.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who buys a new car as an investment is an idiot. They all depreciate to half of their original value in 3-6 years, even if driven little.

A fiberglass bodied, home built car could rarely be sold for the price of parts. You might get 75% but still lose however many thousands of hours it took to build it. If you pay $10-15K for paint and body work, most of that won't be recovered either.

Just plan on using the car enough to enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    Anyone who buys a new car as an investment is an idiot. They all depreciate to half of their original value in 3-6 years, even if driven little.

A fiberglass bodied, home built car could rarely be sold for the price of parts. You might get 75% but still lose however many thousands of hours it took to build it. If you pay $10-15K for paint and body work, most of that won't be recovered either.

Just plan on using the car enough to enjoy it.
    Just trying to offer some encouragement!
    You obviously did not get the point I was trying to make. No need to call anyone idiots. Most people cannot build a car, so they buy them. If you do the labor yourself and spend wisely you can recover most of the dollar investment if you need to sell. Unlike buying a new vehicle where you lose 20-30% the minute you sign the papers. The build is an adventure and many of us enjoy that as much as driving the cars, plus the pride of accomplishment. If I can build one for let's say 40k, drive it for 5-10 years and sell it for 30k+ then I believe that's pretty good bang for your buck.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    A big strong Louisiana boy isn't going to let a little bump in the road stop him. You got this Steve.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post

My friend bought a ZR1 Corvette a few years ago for 100k, thinking it was a good investment. He was afraid to drive it much because the mileage would hurt the value. Well, he just sold it for 65k!
    He actually got lucky to get out of it that well.

A few years ago, I tried to convince a friend (an older friend) to by a nice C2 Corvette, instead of a new Corvette (he had the cash to go either way).

He was convinced, but his wife wanted something "new".

You can lead them to water, but sometimes you can't make them drink...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

I appreciate the support and please know that this car will be on the road sometime in the spring of 2018.
    The good news is that since my goal was to have form follow function I find that the car is pretty easy to service.
    With that said popping the engine and transmission in and out is easier than most builds because of the driveline location.

Pre-Start Overview:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Engine Pull Video:
    https://youtu.be/Vhbftk4AP4k

Again, thanks for the encouragement and who knows, maybe I'll strip the old C-4 down after the MK-4 is completed to do future Factory Five Truck project with Baby Go-Dad.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-23-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on GoDadGo, I m on pins and noodles waiting for the diagnosis.

The Nut

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonut48 View Post
    Come on GoDadGo, I m on pins and noodles waiting for the diagnosis.

The Nut
    You must have missed the diagnosis since this thread is almost as long as Father Time's Calendar:

1. The engine builder hit two water jackets when he was clearancing the block for to accept the stroker rotating assembly.
    2. He never told me that he screwed up my block and did his best to hide his tracks using some JB-Weld to plug the holes.
    3. Now I'm replacing the block with a new Dart SHP Mill and upgrading the cam to a roller set up in the process.

Thanks For Dropping In & We'll Leave The Light On For You!

Steve

Dart Block Delivery Day Video:
    https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-23-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve

If the engine builder does quality work I’m sure he has plenty of work to keep him busy

I would want him to take his time and do his best work on the motor

When I had mine painted it took the shop almost 4 months to do the body and painting I really wanted to say something about three months into the process but decided to bite my tongue and just be nice

I ended up with a very good paint job at a good price it took longer than I wanted but in the end it was worth the time

The painter told me after the job was completed he would never do another one like mine he just wanted to try and help me get the car completed

So hang in there everything will work out in the long run and you will have something you can be proud of

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    Steve

If the engine builder does quality work I’m sure he has plenty of work to keep him busy

I would want him to take his time and do his best work on the motor.

WRick
    Rick,

The new builder does have a lot of work and has stated that 50% of his business is reworking screw-ups from other shops.
    Ironically the new fellow did work for my "Former Motor Mentor" when he was a young apprentice machinist.
    He stated that he learned one thing from that fellow way back in the day and that was "What NOT To Do!"
    In addition, I am impressed that his son works with him which speaks volumes to me as a Dad.

Steve

PS: Today & tomorrow, I'm working on a few small items that have been bugging me in an attempt to make this car even easier to service.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-24-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Installed the seats today using the brackets that I purchased from Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive.
    They fit well, work well, and yield enough adjustability for my wife (5'2") our son (5'8") and yours truly (5'10") to drive.
    The best reason to get these brackets is because they give you the perfect amount of lean making the seats extremely comfortable.
    While they are not easy to adjust as they are fixed mounts, they can be unbolted to move around.
    What I like about them is they put us very low in the car which is important since I've shortened my roll bars about 1.5".

http://breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=609
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-25-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed the seats today using the brackets that I purchased from Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive.
    They fit well, work well, and yield enough adjustability for my wife (5'2") our son (5'8") and yours truly (5'10") to drive.
    The best reason to get these brackets is because they give you the perfect amount of lean making the seats extremely comfortable.
    While they are not easy to adjust as they are fixed mounts, they can be unbolted to move around.
    What I like about them is they put us very low in the car which is important since I've shortened my roll bars about 1.5".

http://breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=609
    What, No more Life preserver seats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    While I'm waiting on the machine shop to get my engine ready I decided to accomplished a few things to pass the time:

1. Mounted the seats with the assistance of Mark at Breeze Automotive.
    2. Added some foam to the rear of seat bottoms (Big & Tall Leather) along with backer boards so they fit the back of my front very well.
    3. Mounted the top of the transmission tunnel so it will be removable.

The dash, stereo panel, trans tunnel top, fuel gauge sending unit, fuel pick up, master cylinders, slave cylinder all use the same 1/8" Allen Head screws to make things easy to get to.
    I wasn't going to make the top of the trans tunnel removable until I pulled the drive shaft from inside the car when we were prepping to pull the driveline.

Have Rivetnut Gun, Will Use It!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-03-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adubbelde View Post
    What, No more Life preserver seats?
    No More Life Preserver Seating!

Yea! Said My Better Half, Yea!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-03-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast