Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2002 Mustang Rear end

Post Thanks / Like

2002 Mustang Rear end

So I finally found a salvage yard around here that had a GT rear end. Seems that as soon as GT parts come in they go right out. It is a 5 lug with the standard 3.27 gear ratio. Couple questions though.

Is it OK to use this shock mount? Looks different than the ones I have seen in other build pictures.

Second, what is this black bracket really for? It appears that it is there to keep the axle flange from turning but if it is welded or bolted in I am not sure how it would turn to begin with.

Here are a couple more shots just for fun.

Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    And just as an FYI, I am going to be putting the rear end on some stands and pulling everything off of it. I need to pull the axles and will be replacing the axle seals, also replacing the rear cover with something that looks better. (Maybe I'll pick up the new cover at Good-Guys this weekend.) The rotors and dust covers will probably go into the trash and the caliper brackets into my sand blast cabinet.

No idea what this is on the differential but it will probably go into the trash too. I figure it's part of the mounting on a Mustang but I don't need it.

Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I had similar questions (I have the exact same rear). see http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...donor-rear-end
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    So I finally found a salvage yard around here that had a GT rear end. Seems that as soon as GT parts come in they go right out. It is a 5 lug with the standard 3.27 gear ratio. Couple questions though.

Is it OK to use this shock mount? Looks different than the ones I have seen in other build pictures.

Second, what is this black bracket really for? It appears that it is there to keep the axle flange from turning but if it is welded or bolted in I am not sure how it would turn to begin with.

Here are a couple more shots just for fun.

Tim
    You won't be using those shock mounts, the FF TQ box replaces them.
    The bracket at the axle tube is to dampen brake vibrations, most of them get tossed.
    The bracket and weight at the pinion same function basically, most of them get removed.
    The second one is actually called an anti-moan bracket. Save those last two
    items just in case you have any NVH issues later.
    HTH
    DB
    Last edited by myjones; 09-25-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my own experience

Have the axle assembly checked for straightness to ensure the axles are not binding.
    Weld the carrier where the axle tubes meet it
    double-check and possibly reeled the four spot welds on the carrier to the tube
    I cannot tell about the shock mounts but they are 45 degrees rotated from the FFR kit supplied mounted ts
    They also look to not be as substantially mounted to the traction boxes as the FFR pars provide 3 solid bolts from the shock mount to the traction housing.

IMG_1553.jpgIMG_1567.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_1634.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 09-25-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, two more questions.

Ford TracLoc is the limited slip rear end for Fords. It looks like from this picture that this does have a LSD carrier due to the shape of it. I just wanted to confirm that here. Is there another way to tell if this has the clutches and everything required without taking the rear end apart?

Second, since the bracket that is supplied by FFR uses the lower mount is there a problem if I remove this upper bracket?

Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    The carrier has a spring in the center it is limited slip. It looks complete, you should be able to just see the clutches under the axle shaft gears - if it had no clutches, the center gears would not be tight and lined up correctly. Do not forget posi additive when replacing the oil!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —