Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with clutch release lever/bearing

Post Thanks / Like

Help with clutch release lever/bearing

Not sure if I have something wrong in the assembly of the release lever to release bearing and the retention of release bearing to the clutch cover.

When assembled, the release lever seems pretty far forward leaving at best a 1/2 in before it hits the opening in trans opening. At first I could see the release bearing move
    back and forth as I moved lever seeming to suggest the bearing was not attached to cover. I pulled to rear pretty hard to force bearing forward hoping to lock it into the clutch cover.
    It does seem to get hard when lever is pushed forward but is so far forward that there is only the 1/2 in to get release.

What have others found where lever bottoms out and distance to front of the opening in the trans housing.
    Wayne P says the "crown" on the trans cover could be a possible area to look.
    Trying to avoid pulling trans but may have to..

Any help appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few pictures would really help but it sounds like the throw-out bearing is not fully seated to the pressure plate ("clutch cover"). Maybe it's partially seated. Though, you have the right procedure by trying to pull rearward on the lever to get it to seat in the bearing. If you feel the lever is seated, but is still hitting the trans opening when actuated, then there may be an issue with your throw-out bearing or pressure plate. Possibly the wrong year? What year is your donor transmission? Are you able to get the pressure plate to release and still have clearance at the lever?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    A few pictures would really help but it sounds like the throw-out bearing is not fully seated to the pressure plate ("clutch cover"). Maybe it's partially seated. Though, you have the right procedure by trying to pull rearward on the lever to get it to seat in the bearing. If you feel the lever is seated, but is still hitting the trans opening when actuated, then there may be an issue with your throw-out bearing or pressure plate. Possibly the wrong year? What year is your donor transmission? Are you able to get the pressure plate to release and still have clearance at the lever?
    Thanks for reply. Just pulled back hard on release lever to seat release
    bearing and lever was now in correct center position but it did not last.
    As soon as I pushed hard on lever to front like slave would do, the bearing
    pulled out of cover..
    Any suggestions on new cover plate? Stock 02 WRX engine..

Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like everything has been assembled properly but the retention feature on the pressure plate is failing to keep the bearing attached under load. You can try seating it a few more times but you may have to remove the trans to get a good look at everything. Can you give a few more detail on the parts you're using? Are the clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing all new parts? OEM or aftermarket parts? If you're reusing old parts, that may explain why the pressure plate can't retain the bearing properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Throwout bearing could be installed backwards. I did it wrong the first time and got the results you are getting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replies.
    Throwout bearing is in correct. I pulled back hard on lever and got bearing to lock in to the cover and position was good to hook up slave BUT I push back hard on lever like slave would do
    and the bearing popped back out of cover so retention part of cover is toast. Parts are donor stock. Appeared ok but need to replace.

How about this from Efortissimo Racing:
    https://www.amazon.com/CLUTCH-ALUMIN...002+wrx+clutch
    https://www.amazon.com/CLUTCH-FLYWHE...002+wrx+clutch
    or this one with 4130 steel flywheel:
    Last edited by frankc5r; 09-27-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW - I went with OEM clutch, flywheel, T/O bearing for my donor year/make/model when I replaced mine. Reading about the different aspects of Stage 1/2/3 clutches and flywheel weights got in my head and I decided to revert to what I know would work and be reliable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a clutch/flywheel discussion not too long ago here:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Clutch-System

In short, avoid flywheels lighter than 13lbs and do any engine tuning with a stock weight (22lb.) Spec clutch to match your horsepower/torque expectations.