Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 "guys" in the garage!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool 4 "guys" in the garage!

Hello there!

I am a widowed father of 3 boys, ages 3, 5 and 7 years old. My wife passed away last year from cervical cancer. I am hoping to build this car with my boys, coworkers and friend along the way. I would love to have my wife here, but can see now, life is short. No more dreaming about things, start living and doing!

I always wanted to have a sports car of some sort. I have been pretty frugal in my life and just dreamt about building a Cobra. This year I started looking at some older cars, like Fiat 124, MGM midget or Porsche 911. But then I realized and asked myself a question - "What car would really make you tickle?" I would be Shelby Cobra 1965 for sure!
    So I dropped plans on purchasing anything else. Did some research and placed an order with Factory Five this month. Also called Mike Forte and placed an order there.
    I really like this forum with many helpful hint and tips. Thanks!

Here is what I am getting:
    MK4 Complete kit
    17"/front 9"/back 10.5" wheels
    +Appearance Package FREE

from Mike Forte:
    SB FORD DART 347 TURNKEY ENGINE PACKAGE carburated
    manual TKO600
    3.55 8.8 REAREND
    REAR DISC 11.65" KIT

I already spend some time and build the body buck. I am also talking to Al_C user and going visit his place this weekend. Very excited!

So this is for now.....more to come.

Thanks,
    Martin

I edited your title.

Ray
    Last edited by broku518; 05-06-2022 at 08:13 AM.

2. Likes JasoninAZ, MSumners liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm very sorry about the loss of your wife.

I'm fortunate to still have mine after she survived a stroke in 2006.

Welcome Aboard!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and good luck! This has been such a fun experience for me and I hope and expect it'll be the same for you and your boys.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Look forward to following your build. Sounds like a great project for you and the boys. My condolences on the loss of your wife.
    The forum is here to help. Fire away with any questions.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your wife, I'm building #9009 with my son right now, he's 17. It's been a great experience so far and we've enjoyed our hours in the shop together figuring this stuff out as we go along. Enjoy the build, look forward to hearing your progress and how the boys are enjoying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    Thank you all. I have couple questions.
    How do I email admin? I would like to add a picture in my profile, location and couple other things.
    But it is blocking me from making any changes.
    Also, how do I add that nifty signature line with link to my build?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ray, no worries, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    here is the body buck (not sure why is it upside down, tried this multiple times, still ended up this way....ugh)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,
    So sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great plan to keep you and your boys occupied. Looking forward to following your build

Post Thanks / Like
    Broku, Congrats on joining the "club" and good luck on the build!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you all. I have couple questions.
    How do I email admin? I would like to add a picture in my profile, location and couple other things.
    But it is blocking me from making any changes.
    Also, how do I add that nifty signature line with link to my build?
    Those features will become available after a certain number of posts, so start getting chatty and welcome to the fun!

Edit:

For new members with less than 20 posts these restrictions are as follows:

•You do not have access to your blog.
    •You cannot post a new thread in the FOR SALE classifieds. You can still create a new thread in the WANTED portion of the classifieds. Posting a FOR SALE thread in a WANTED classified forum will be treated as a direct attempt to circumvent the rules and you WILL be penalized, up to and including a temporary or permanent ban.
    •You can't create a picture album.
    •You can't create a group of post new threads to a group. You can still post to existing group threads.
    •You cannot update your profile or have a signature.
    •You cannot have a custom title
    •Calendar access is restricted (Thanks for the catch kwb160!)
    Last edited by Papa; 09-28-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Those features will become available after a certain number of posts, so start getting chatty, and welcome to the fun!
    Hi Papa, I emailed admin and got those perms now

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Builders Club..
    Sorry for your loss. Building one of our cars, is actually pretty good therapy. That, or it will drive you insane..one of the two..

You will be a busy, busy man, with three boys at that age. How will you ever find the time to work on the build, is beyond me? Do you have a nanny?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hi Papa, I emailed admin and got those perms now
    Yep, anyone who signs up and lets me know they have a FFR (or one on the way) can get promoted. It's not really a "new user" thing, but more like a "spam control" thing.

PS Congrats on the build! You ordered a lot more than a fun project; get ready for lifelong memories!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Welcome to the Builders Club..
    Sorry for your loss. Building one of our cars, is actually pretty good therapy. That, or it will drive you insane..one of the two..

You will be a busy, busy man, with three boys at that age. How will you ever find the time to work on the build, is beyond me? Do you have a nanny?
    I know, but I am not worry at all. The last couple years I went through a hell, and this feels relaxing. I don't have a nanny, boys go to a house care.
    Also, my neighbors noticed and offered some help as well. My coworkers did the same
    Last edited by broku518; 09-28-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to seeing you all on Saturday! I can help you fix your upside down photos, too.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I am building ours with my oldest son. I cannot put into words what a great experience it has been so far. The people on this forum are awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin-

Welcome to the forum and to the Factory Five community!

You are really going to enjoy this amazing project with your sons. I have been building mine with the help of my two boys, and I cannot express just how much pleasure it brings to me. It seems that time spent in the garage allows us to share more than would be shared in other settings. It is an unusual form of therapy for me, and I hope them. I anticipate that it will provide them with some meaningful memories after we are no longer able to be in the garage together.

Best of luck to you and your boys! Don't hesitate to ask questions. There are countless folks with plenty of experience who are very giving of their time and advice! It has helped me a great deal, and I suspect you will benefit as well.

I look forward to seeing your progress. I hope your build brings you some of the same happiness mine has brought me!

Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by WIS89; 10-03-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry for your loss. Your sons will remember the time spent with you their entire lives. As you said, life is short. Do what makes you happy! Look forward to following your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Also, my neighbors noticed and offered some help as well. " Joining this forum ,your neighborhood just got alot bigger . So much knowledge of these forums ,you will get thru any hurdle . Your boys will also learn so much tinkering around the car with you . Welcome to the Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday visited Al_C place with my boys. He graciously agreed to show us his project car. Even let me touch it and sit in it! Awesome
    I was very impressed with the amount of work completed. We talked and I picked up some valuable tips and hints. Very thankful.

Today I went to a local hardware store and picked up some tools (break line pipe bender and riveting tool).

Thank you all for the welcome and support.
    Martin
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Condolences on the loss of your wife!! Congratulations on your purchase and good luck on your build. I'm not to terribly far away in Jefferson City, MO and do get to the Bolingbrook area a couple times a year for work. I'm in the beginning stages of the build myself and the guys on this forum are great (although they will help you spend your money). The folks at Factory Five are also great to work with. I sent them a list of items I was missing from my inventory late Friday afternoon and they have it taken care of and preparing to ship today (Monday). Best wishes!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the group and the madness!

Have fun with those boys

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your purchase and good luck with your journey! It will be a great project for you & your sons.

If you get down to the St. Louis area, give us a call and we'll schedule some garage visits or a day-cruise. If you can make it on the second Tuesday of the month, join us at a meeting!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin, I hope this project helps you and your kids, and helps bring comfort as you continue to heal. I'll agree with AC Bill that the build process can be therapeutic. Heck, even the hours I spent in my garage just cleaning and organizing was helpful to me - my head was sort of cleaned and organized a bit with each peaceful hour sometimes.

It seems there's a bunch of us starting out at about the same time. I'll be following your build, and looking for tips from you and all those others that are going to be in process at about the same time (and of course, those that proceeded us). I hope to provide one or two of my own as well, or at least try.

Your signature says delivery is ~10/14. Enjoy that day (it is pretty EXCITING), and those that follow!
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    SO, car is still not here. It was finished on 10/14, but Steward Transport pick up is still delayed. Should be getting a call today and ETA sometimes this weekend.

Update on engine. Mike Forte complete the build, yes!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Y...NOSkQ3aWs/view

Dyno test:F347.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin-

That torque "curve" though!! Not much curve at all, and it should give you all the grunt you need! Plus 400 HP should give you all you want.

The boys must be getting excited about the delivery, huh?

I am going to enjoy following along.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Martin-

That torque "curve" though!! Not much curve at all, and it should give you all the grunt you need! Plus 400 HP should give you all you want.

The boys must be getting excited about the delivery, huh?

I am going to enjoy following along.

Regards,

Steve
    Hi Steve,
    I think I am more excited!

I was quoted 368HP initially, but ended up 410HP. Mike used a different header. Can't really complain about this

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for your loss and welcome. You and your sons are about to begin an incredible experience all will remember fondly for the rest of your lives. So true we must live and enjoy are days while we may and always appreciate our blessings. Good luck and most importantly have fun.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,

Your engine is awesome and looks just like mine! I got an email from Mike Forte Tuesday that my DART 347 stroker shipped. The dyno testing showed it a 377hp and 389 torque. It has EFI, maybe that why HP is lower? I also got the TKO 600 trany and a hydraulic clutch. I don't know which speedometer set up you are going to use but if it is not the mechanical type make sure you order the "plug" for the transmission.

cheers,

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished my roadster earlier this summer. My two adult sons, adult daughter, and teenage son helped out along the way. I couldn't have done it without them. Make sure you get lots of pictures of the kids working on it. That is the best part of the build, having the kids around to help. Remember that. and when they're older, let them drive the car. It'll give them a reason to come home to visit. have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    keep us updated on the delivery date!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Martin,

Your engine is awesome and looks just like mine! I got an email from Mike Forte Tuesday that my DART 347 stroker shipped. The dyno testing showed it a 377hp and 389 torque. It has EFI, maybe that why HP is lower? I also got the TKO 600 trany and a hydraulic clutch. I don't know which speedometer set up you are going to use but if it is not the mechanical type make sure you order the "plug" for the transmission.

cheers,

Mark
    Hi Mark.
    Thanks! I don't think carbureted setup would make any difference. Mike told me he used different headers, better performance and same price. Also, I don't know what you mean by the "plug."
    I am getting the "whatever comes standard free" speedometer setup.

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    keep us updated on the delivery date!
    Hi Al.
    Driver called me this morning, I am his second stop. First is some lucky guy in Georgia.
    ETA Monday or Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the community so sorry for your loss.
    I got my kit earlier this month. This forum and community is a great place to be. I will be following along.
    My delivery was later than planned from Stewart as well. Those dang hurricanes and wildfires really create havoc on logistics and things back up, such is life.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,
    When you do your inventory it will be very helpful to have a device to measure bolts and thread size. These are two things I found on Amazon that helped me a TON!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Look what the cats dragged in today!
    3.GIF2.GIF1.GIF

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Martin,
    When you do your inventory it will be very helpful to have a device to measure bolts and thread size. These are two things I found on Amazon that helped me a TON!

Mark
    Thanks Mark, great tips!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a pretty good treat for this Halloween! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome congrats!
    Your little guy in the picture is already figuring how many years until he can take this thing out to impress his buddies! haha
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast