Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 "guys" in the garage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Must be something about holiday deliveries. Mine showed up on Labor Day. Good luck with inventory!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Dittos on the sorry and congrats. I have been following FFR since they opened and am pulling the trigger next week on a roadster. Looks like there will a bunch of us in the Midwest! I am 2 hours south of Chicago. Where did you all find the plans for the body and frame bucks? I am planning on complete kit with most options checked and a coyote combo from Forte.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhunter View Post
    Dittos on the sorry and congrats. I have been following FFR since they opened and am pulling the trigger next week on a roadster. Looks like there will a bunch of us in the Midwest! I am 2 hours south of Chicago. Where did you all find the plans for the body and frame bucks? I am planning on complete kit with most options checked and a coyote combo from Forte.
    I found the specs on this forum. You can also google for cobra body buck and find those PDFs.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    So kit is in the garage, I have been doing an inventory for last couple days. Great way to familiarize yourself with the parts and manual.
    Kids are busy looking good in the car crop2.GIFcrop1.GIF
    Last edited by broku518; 11-08-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question. I noticed that I need a gas pump.
    What would you recommend for my setup? 347 engine, carbureted. Do I need a regulator as well?
    Ideally, if I can just get the whole thing someplace and plug it in would be great

Thanks,
    Martin
    Last edited by broku518; 11-06-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Quick question. I noticed that I need a gas pump.
    What would you recommend for my setup? 347 engine, carbureted. Do I need a regulator as well?
    Ideally, if I can just get the whole thing someplace and plug it in would be great

Thanks,
    Martin
    Mike Forte can help you with all of that. Makes it easy since he already knows the rest of your set up.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Mike Forte can help you with all of that. Makes it easy since he already knows the rest of your set up.
    -Steve
    Hi Steve, thanks! Yep, called him and good to go

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see something happening. Last night we removed the fiberglass body. I noticed some misalignment in front hood area, but after a quick forum search discovered this is a 'normal.'

Labeled and removed panels last night. I think I like the metal finish. I was contemplating the color choices, but will keep it the way it is. Plus, it is pretty cold and every time I sprayed a sample it would stink the high heaven here. Also, it snowed here last night, ugh!

So with the panels removed, we started working on F panels and lower control arms. It went pretty smoothly, riveting/caulking. Bolts were easy to torque, no brute force needed

Since the upper arms are on back order we started to assemble the koni shocks. (note: didn't have a ring snap tool, neighbor saved the day )

I was thinking about doing other parts, but FedEx is delivering 2 boxes from F5 on Monday. Hoping those are the upper control arms. So I will wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by broku518; 11-11-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    HELP: Is there a simple way of uploading pictures from the local machine? I have them on my laptop right side up, they still come out upside down?!
    I am not interested in hosting them someplace.

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    HELP: Is there a simple way of uploading pictures from the local machine? I have them on my laptop right side up, they still come out upside down?!
    I am not interested in hosting them someplace.

Thanks,
    Martin
    Not sure about easy, but this works.

Create a photo album on the Forum:

Start on the Forum home page and go to Gallery,
    Select Add Album, Name it and make it public.
    Now you have a place to store your photos that is independent of any 3rd party carriers.

Upload your photos into your album and then you can either attach your photos or imbed them in your posts.

There is a size limit on the photos you can upload, something like 1.5MB but they don't need to be that big. Various ways to resize your photos.

There is a very detailed description of how this all works in the Welcomes and Introductions Forum.

All that being said, occasionally, I still get a photo that does the up side down trick.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Not sure about easy, but this works.

Create a photo album on the Forum:

Start on the Forum home page and go to Gallery,
    Select Add Album, Name it and make it public.
    Now you have a place to store your photos that is independent of any 3rd party carriers.

Upload your photos into your album and then you can either attach your photos or imbed them in your posts.

There is a size limit on the photos you can upload, something like 1.5MB but they don't need to be that big. Various ways to resize your photos.

There is a very detailed description of how this all works in the Welcomes and Introductions Forum.

All that being said, occasionally, I still get a photo that does the up side down trick.
    -Steve
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks. I will deal with this another time. I would have to change the resolution on camera or crap my pics after upload. Seems pretty easy, but after working on the car with my boys, this is the last thing I want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks. I will deal with this another time. I would have to change the resolution on camera or crap my pics after upload. Seems pretty easy, but after working on the car with my boys, this is the last thing I want to do.
    I take most of my photos with my phone. I store them on my computer at full resolution.
    For the photos I choose to post, I email them to myself. When I hit send the phone asks what size and gives me small, med, large or full res option. I pick med or large. When I get the email I drag those images to my desktop. When I upload the photos into the gallery, they are easy to find on the desktop. Then I drag them into the trash.

Now that I write it down is seems like a PITA but I guess I'm just use to it.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Flickr to post pictures to the forum. It is really simple to use and is free. The only issue is if Flickr ever decides to go the way that Photobucket did and decide to start charging for third party postings.

Here is a quick how-to for Flickr:

1. Sign up for your free Flickr account.

2. Once signed up, go to the upload screen.

3. Drag and drop the photos from your PC to this screen.

4. Create or select a previously created album to upload your photos to.

5. Click the upload button.

6. Now from your "Photostream", click on the photo you want to post and then click on the share icon.

7. Copy the BB Code link and select the size you want (768 x 1024) is what I use, and paste the link into your forum post.

And you're done!
    Last edited by Papa; 11-14-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I took papa's advice and use Flickr. It's easy and I think it does a better job maintaining the quality and details of the pictures when it downsizing them vs other methods of downsizing for sharing on this forum.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Let see how this works. Dang! Sweet! Thanks Papa!

IMG_3165 by Martin Ondrus, on Flickr

20171112_201412 by Martin Ondrus, on Flickr

Baby is already testing his Shelby Cobra replica box
    20171112_133704 by Martin Ondrus, on Flickr
    Last edited by broku518; 11-14-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see progress! Good for you guys! (The little guy needs a steering wheel...)
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Making some progress here. Boys are interested. The only tiny problem is when I have them all in the garage, mad house!
    So I have them take turns or come and go as they please.

20171114_181958
    20171115_182019

I was thinking about paiting the engine bay panels, but after my oldest engraved his initials into the firewall with a screwdriver I dropped those plans
    20171117_181026
    Last edited by broku518; 11-18-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Enjoying the family pics. Keep us posted.
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Baby got sick last night, I had to stay home today and work from home. Well, things just worked out and we got this delivered today.

20171121_101420

20171121_102023

Post Thanks / Like
    "Baby got sick last night." While I hope your kid is okay, my boss would probably never completely believe that excuse knowing what I've got cooking in the garage.

Your engine looks great.
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Making some progress here. Boys are interested. The only tiny problem is when I have them all in the garage, mad house!

I was thinking about paiting the engine bay panels, but after my oldest engraved his initials into the firewall with a screwdriver I dropped those plans
    I know what you are saying about the mad house! I only have two, and it looks like they are older than yours, and I still have to separate them.

I think that autograph is worth a lot more than Carol Shelby's! You better not paint it.

The progress is looking good!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mach'er View Post
    "Baby got sick last night." While I hope your kid is okay, my boss would probably never completely believe that excuse knowing what I've got cooking in the garage.

Your engine looks great.
    Thanks. Baby is feeling somewhat better, last thing I need is to have him sick during holidays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    I know what you are saying about the mad house! I only have two, and it looks like they are older than yours, and I still have to separate them.

I think that autograph is worth a lot more than Carol Shelby's! You better not paint it.

The progress is looking good!
    Oh yes! That is what makes this build really special! These little crazy moments when kids work on the car...walking around with a screwdriver or hammer.
    My wife was pretty OCD she would have flipped. I am more easy going guy. Just as a precaution, I taped the brake line closed and other critical openings, just in case

Post Thanks / Like
    Your boys are going to be so mechanical and so handy as they go through this with you! Great experience for all! Will be "Gear Heads" I bet too. Enjoy the time spent with them! I did with my two and they love doing brakes, suspension, all kinds of work on cars. Very relaxing and something fun to do as a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes! That is what makes this build really special!...
    Start 'em young

No boys myself but our daughter presented us with a Grandson who likes nothing more than "Helping Pawpaw with the racing cars". He was not quite 4 when this pic was taken a couple of years ago

Cheers,
    Jeff

Danielcobras1.JPG

26. Likes timmil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

20171114_181958
    20171115_182019

20171117_181026
    Hey your making great progress with all the distractions. Memories that will last a life time.

I think you want to take a second look at the upper control arms. they typically need to have the ball joint mount flipped so it points out to the wheel not in to the frame. As delivered they are typically pointing the wrong way.

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Hey your making great progress with all the distractions. Memories that will last a life time.

I think you want to take a second look at the upper control arms. they typically need to have the ball joint mount flipped so it points out to the wheel not in to the frame. As delivered they are typically pointing the wrong way.

Chris AKA Gromit
    Hi Gromit,
    Thank you so much for pointing this out! I had no idea. Just to be clear, it is that upper golden looking thingy, right?

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Just to be clear, it is that upper golden looking thingy, right?

Thanks,
    Martin
    Yes, "golden looking thingy" and yes the way you have thm assembled is backwards.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Flipped those golden looking thingys last night. Thank you guys again for pointing this out!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/GSkgJg]

Post Thanks / Like
    That's looking better amazing progress keep those photos coming

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Building one of our cars, is actually pretty good therapy. That, or it will drive you insane..one of the two..
    Yup. This. This right here.
    FFR #8214 -2nd gen Coyote-Wilwood setup-Hydroboost-17" Halibrand-3 Link-TKO600

2003 Mercury Marauder Vortech V2 T-Trim 518rwhp 11.70 @ 121mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello there. I need some feedback about break fluid reservoir mounting location. I did this based on manual, but noticed couple comments here that the canister should be located above the master cylinders. Do I need to fix this?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H3obYt]

Post Thanks / Like
    Some updates. The pic above, I removed the reservoir and ordered double canister. Will have to mount it to the frame member to gain some elevation.
    I also ordered the Mechanical Throttle Linkage.

With the banana welded on, fluid in, we were able to install the moser 8.8 without much trouble. Everything went pretty smoothly. Only needed to clean couple holes from having too much paint inside of them. No brute force needed. And yes, put on the tires, although there isn't any reason to do that. It just looks cool!

One thing I wondered how to make sure that axle is aligned with engine/tranny/shaft? I guess no way to tell until the combo is in place.
    Also I noticed one front tire would rub the f panel when turned all the way. I guess this can be adjusted during alignment?

The boys were playing who can spin the tire more and tug a war with them. Also learned about fuel system, aka what happens when you pump the gas at the gas station.

I started to work on fuel lines, installed the fuel filter.
    Mike Forte installed inline fuel pump that doesn't utilize a return line. So I guess I don't have to run one, just cap it off.
    I am purposely leaving the floor and cockpit panel off, they are all drilled now. I think this will make things easier for me run; brake lines, emergency brakes, fuel line...
    Last edited by broku518; 12-03-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my front tires kisses the F panel when at full lock too. Not sure what can be done about it. Possibly limit the travel or bend the F panel slightly so there is clearance?
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my front tires kisses the F panel when at full lock too. Not sure what can be done about it. Possibly limit the travel or bend the F panel slightly so there is clearance?
    Breeze sells some plastic clips that limit travel. You can trim them as needed and they can be added at any time. When you set your alignment some of the travel might change. My wheel travel seemed extreme and then I tightened everything up and aligned the front and it was less dramatic.

FF Metals makes a Wide Tire F Panel. You can see the extra bends in the bottom of the photo.

I installed the wide tire panels and they don't rub but might need to add the limit blocks anyway to keep from pinching my brake lines. One thing leads to another...

-Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking this will change once alignment is done.

@Steve ...Breeze sells some plastic clips that limit travel. You can trim them as needed and they can be added at any time.
    Good to know, thanks!

Martin

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hello there. I need some feedback about break fluid reservoir mounting location. I did this based on manual, but noticed couple comments here that the canister should be located above the master cylinders. Do I need to fix this?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H3obYt]
    You need to raise your reservoirs when you get the new double canister set up.
    The top of those puppies needs to be above the height of the Master Cylinders.

You can see the height of my triple reservoir set up about 20 seconds in to this video:

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

PS: You've Got Some Great Helpers!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-04-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GoDadGo! Since taking this pic I already removed the single canister. I should be getting the double setup today. Saw your video, awesome build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, a lot of work done this weekend. Ran brake line front and rear, ran a fuel line on driver side. My fuel pump is located on left side, no return line.
    Also got my portable welding machine from Amazon for $90 bucks. Went to a local hardware store and got some metal for $30 bucks.

I cut this out after marking the lines. I couldn't get long metal pieces to make it edge to edge. But I am happy with the final results. I am planning on getting carpet and the end.
    I didn't do anything with the battery. I kinda like it there tucked away. I may just install those jumper plugs someplace more accessible.
    20171209_131850

Used some metal to make up for the lost angle braces. I heard a lot of back and forth about the rear end collision, but I am sticking with this.
    20171210_112253_HDR

Did some quick google search on how to weld. Then practice on spare metal to adjust the wire speed and amps. The setting is only low/high. So it was pretty simple.
    Setting is on low and speed on 3 to lay nice bead. Cleaned and painted the bare metal.
    20171210_112241

Here it is! Now I have a space to hall a welding machine around, or something else bulky....box of diaper, beer keg
    20171210_135753

Next:
    Bleeding brakes
    wiring harness

Hints and tips are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Broku518
    Last edited by broku518; 12-10-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Martin, I'm amazed! You haven't welded since high school and then you knock it out in a weekend. Looks great!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast