Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Should I cut this? FIXED IT!

Post Thanks / Like

Should I cut this? FIXED IT!

Hey Guys,

Working on my alignment, I am having trouble getting the proper camber on the front right wheel. I think I know what I need to do, but I just want to touch base and see if there is anything that I am missing.

Set up: Tubular lower control arms and sn95 spindles, manual steering rack.

My ride height is now at 4 inches in the front (lower than I want to be before the springs settle), and I am only getting .5 degrees of negative camber on the right front wheel. Once I start adjusting for caster, I'm ending up with positive camber. My plan is to shorten the union (female threaded adjuster on the upper control arm) so I can help suck the top of the wheel inwards.

Is this a common problem? Im pretty shocked that it is this far off.

Also, I have checked where my upper and lower control arms are mounted. all in the correct places. Sorry if this is confusing, I can explain in more detail of needed.

Scottie

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

Post Thanks / Like
    I am surprised too. W/ a manual rack you only want about 3 deg caster so should be able to easily get 1/2 deg negative camber. On a couple of MkIVs I have helped w/ we were able to get 6.5 caster and .5 camber but we were right on the edge. No more of either was available. Both of the cars I mention used FFR spindles. What spindle adapters are you using? I have seen a thread or two about the adapters having been redesigned maybe in the last year but don't remember details. I think there are two pairs of holes in the adapters and you need to use the correct pair.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe there have been at least 3 different upper A arm configurations/hardware over the life of the MK. Builders are still working on MK3's and it has not been noted what hardware we are commenting on here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottie-

Are you using pin drive width? That will make a difference as well. Also echo what Craig mentioned concerning the spindle adapters.

Perhaps some pictures would help as well.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    What mounting point on the frame did you attach the inside end of the upper control arm to? With the SN 95 spindles they should be on the horizontal mounting pad. You said you have the tubular lower arms. Did you attach them at the outside set of holes in the frame? Here's a picture of my setup during the build. I used the Mustang lower arms but was able to get to the power steering recommended settings without cutting anything.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys thanks for the response. Will post pictures shortly

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the pictures and insight. Everything is mounted correctly, and in a fashion to give max camber. We even measured where the control arm mounting tabs are welded, and those match up just fine. We trimmed down a sleeve last night and that helps, will dial it in today.

Having a hell of a time posting a picture right now....

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed!

Got this all taken care of after a couple calls to CraigS and and a ridiculous amount of measuring. Here is what I did:

I removed the sleeve that was stopping me from getting the appropriate camber. I hit it with my angle grinder real careful-like, and removed about 3/16ths of material. Then, in order to get more caster without LOSING camber, we look to the lower control arm. When installing, you use the provided washers to take up the dead space in between the mounting tabs. My washers were both in front of the control arm, effectively pushing the control arm 1/8th of an inch toward the rear of the car. I removed the LCA bolts and swapped the sides the washers were on, which obviously moved the LCA 1/8th forward.

This small change gave me about 1.5 degrees more caster. After checking everything out, both sides are at -.5 degrees camber, and +4 degrees caster.