FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: cOBRAeARL: TWO YEARS with PANCREATIC CANCER

Post Thanks / Like

cOBRAeARL: TWO YEARS with PANCREATIC CANCER

TWO YEARS AGO September 30 2015, I got my diagnosis of STAGE 4 PANCREATIC CANCER.

I have posted threads on the subject:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ght=pancreatic
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ght=pancreatic
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/122-way...ic-cancer.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ic-cancer.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/122-way...cobraearl.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/122-way...er-update.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/122-way...ic-cancer.html

Well, I’m STILL ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM DEBATABLY THE LUCKIEST PANCREATIC CANCER PATIENT EVER.

I’m in reasonable good condition for someone who got a probable death sentence two years ago. I take the chemo every two weeks. Feel like I have the flu for about 4 days, which is about nothing compared to what I hear other chemo patients enduring. Just completed round 45 last week.

Im still in the drug study for CPI 613. CPI has had great results for several of the 20 people in the study. My Friend (patient #5) was taken off chemo 1.5 years ago thinking he was cured. After 1.5 years his cancer has come back and he is back on chemo. BUT, his diagnosing doctor gave him 2 weeks to 2 months THREE YEARS AGO!!!.

My friend Virginia had the “whipple” operation. During the operation the surgeon realized she was in much worse shape than they thought. After she became conscious, the doctors told her to get her affairs in order. A few days later, she was offered a slot in our CPI study. Approximately 18 months later, she also was taken off chemo because they thought she was cured. About 12 months later it came back. She went back on chemo but after a few months later it quit working. After about 6 months she had a stroke and passed away. Her husband said she had 32 great months after being told to get her affairs in order.

After all 4 of the patients that were taken off chemo relapped, the doctors have all advised me to stay on chemo as long as my body will tolerate it. My buddy patient #5 received 32 rounds before coming off. As I’ve said, I’ve received 45 rounds. Two weeks ago, I asked my doctor (picking at him) “how do we know I’m not cured?” He replied, “we don’t know you are not, but we don’t know that you are”.

After every 4 rounds, I get a CT and MRI. They have been clear for many months.

About every cancer has a cancer antigen number that is accepted as normal…… Like 4 and below for your PSA number. OUR NUMBER is called the CA19-9. Normal is 35 or below. I presented with 2500 the first time it was taken two years ago. A week later, the day of my first chemo it was up to 3500. Four weeks later it was up to 10,000. Then it started down!!!!!!! By Christmas it was significantly lower. A graph of the numbers is the MOST BEAUTIFUL GRAPH I EVER SAW!!!!!!!! Approximately August 20 of 2016, my number went BELOW 35 as in NORMAL. The number has been below normal for over 13 months. It’s been in the 8-10 range for about 3 months.

During all this, our family has gotten closer. July this year, we all went on a 10 day trip to yellow stone park. I drove my 1997 Dodge conversation van towing a 22’ camper from NC to Salt Lake City, picked the rest of the family and headed to yellow Stone. I drove about 8000 miles. Purty good for a sick old man. August/September, this year, Juanita and I headed out to Burning Man for our third Burning Man trip. Another 5000 plus miles. This time we headed out in our 1998 Class B Ford Econoline Van. We go visit the grandkids in Toronto 4 or 5 times per year. They come here 2 -3 times. We have spent a week with them in the Keys, Desdin Fla, Wilmington, NC and other visits to numerous to remember. It’s been a whirlwind TWO YEARS.
    Of course I have no idea what the future will bring.

BUT LET ME SAY ONE THING!!!!! If you find yourself diagnosed with an “uncurable cancer” get yourself in a drug study. Even if you don’t get cured, you will receive a much higher level of care. And have a positive attitude!!!!! Guess that is two things.
    Last edited by cobraearl; 10-01-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Earl, were pulling for ya!

Post Thanks / Like
    Never give up without a fight and make every day count

I hope your treatments continue to keep you well

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news Earl! Keep up the fight.

Olli

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news! I am praying for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl-

I am so happy for you and your entire extended family! It is truly amazing to get to where you are today, from where you were two years ago! Extraordinary!

I hope you continue to enjoy good health for years to come! Thank you for the inspiration.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl (miss ya buddy).....I gotta say, "YOU ROCK"......LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL BROTHER !........question, were you listening to "The Grateful Dead" on your trip.....I can see you cruising down the road listening to "Truckin" and singing along...DaBat

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl, my mom had cancer three times. I really like reading your post stay healthy and enjoy your as much as you can.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing your story. Glad to see you truly enjoying life.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep up the good fight Earl!

Post Thanks / Like
    Inspiring, thanks for the positive vibe Earl!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good Luck Cobra Earl & Keep Making Every Day Count!!!

.You Are A True Inspiration So Thank You For Making Me Appreciate What Is Really Important In Life, Which Is Life It's Self!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-01-2017 at 02:10 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Earl, thanks for sharing your inspirational story and great advice. Rock on brother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl,
    Thanks for sharing your journey. Hang in there!!! We are all pulling for you.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For my young traveling buddy... May each day be your best and may God continue to shine on you!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep up the good fight and enjoy life every day to the fullest Earl!
    FFR-4000, CHP 408ci./600hp, Wayne's Stack F.I. & Tec-3, T-600, IRS, Smith gauges, 17" Pin-Drive wheels, Whitby's rag top & paint by Ken Pike (SRP).

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl, Your will to live and great attitude are an inspiration! Never give up!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl, Thank you. This story is incredible.
    Keep going!