Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quick Jack Mounting bolts

Post Thanks / Like

Quick Jack Mounting bolts

I am preparing to mount my body but notice some discrepancies in the front quick jack mounting bolts. The rear are straight forward but the front angle cut spacer tubes are all different sizes. Only three are the same sizes and the other five are all different. Am i missing something or am I supposed to take up slack with more washers.Thanks Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    From a Jeff Kleiner post

Instead of getting too obsessed with the exact dimension just arrange the inners and outers from shortest to longest and position them accordingly:

RH upper=2 5/8" inside; 3 1/8" outside
    RH lower=2 1/8" inside; 3 1/4" outside

LH upper=2 5/8" inside; 3 1/8" outside
    LH lower=2 1/16" inside; 3 5/8" outside

Note that RH=passenger side, LH=driver's side

Without the spacers and bolts installed the front droops so you'll need to raise the nose a couple of inches to get a straight shot from the body holes to the chassis mounting points. I usually just sit down in front of 'em and push up with my knee.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for saving me a bunch of typing

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to both of you. Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    I may be over thinking these spacers. Three of them match your measurements, the others are off. Guess I'll see what's what when I actually start fitment. I know there will be a washer with a rubber surface against the jel-coated body. Is there also a washer on the inside. I pre-fit everything together on the bolt and an inside washer isn't flush with inside of body because the hole is too small tilt the washer. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK C View Post
    I may be over thinking these spacers. Three of them match your measurements, the others are off. Guess I'll see what's what when I actually start fitment. I know there will be a washer with a rubber surface against the jel-coated body. Is there also a washer on the inside. I pre-fit everything together on the bolt and an inside washer isn't flush with inside of body because the hole is too small tilt the washer. Thanks
    Do you have an mk4 or 3 ?
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Mkiv

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick

I used the rubber grommets from finish line to isolate the body from the quick jack bolts

I had to enlarge the openings on both the front and rear so that the grommets would fit they worked very well for me

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rick. I'll look at those.
    MK4 FFR7622 COMPLETE KIT DELIVERED 10/10/11, 429ci BORED .30 OVER, EDELBROCK PERFORMER HEADS, THUMPER CAM, MASS FLO FUEL INJECTION, DUAL CLUTCH, QUICKTIME BELL HOUSING, NITTO 555/DRAG RADIALS, AUTO METER GAUGES, MARCH SERPENTINE SYSTEM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    Nick

I used the rubber grommets from finish line to isolate the body from the quick jack bolts

I had to enlarge the openings on both the front and rear so that the grommets would fit they worked very well for me

Rick
    X2 on this. They look so much nicer in addition to providing some isolation.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick do you have any pics of the grommets inside and out?
    MK4 FFR7622 COMPLETE KIT DELIVERED 10/10/11, 429ci BORED .30 OVER, EDELBROCK PERFORMER HEADS, THUMPER CAM, MASS FLO FUEL INJECTION, DUAL CLUTCH, QUICKTIME BELL HOUSING, NITTO 555/DRAG RADIALS, AUTO METER GAUGES, MARCH SERPENTINE SYSTEM

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick

Go to **********accessories.com

Select replica parts

Then body parts from the main menu

The grommets are the 8th and 9 th item

I can send you a pic of them installed tomorrow

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 10-01-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    So are those spacers one piece? And they work with the factory bolts? Looks clean. Thanks Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK C View Post
    So are those spacers one piece? And they work with the factory bolts? Looks clean. Thanks Kevin
    Yes. The way I set mine up is with Stainless Steel tubing, ¾ OD, ½” ID, with Grade 8 Bolts, 7/16-14 (.4375), and since the threaded rod is a bit smaller than the ID of the tubing, I used McMaster 2129T15, FEP Clear Tubing for Chemicals 7/16" ID, 1/2" OD as a liner and to keep the assembly nice and snug. I had the tubes polished. The length of the bolt is dependent on how long you want the tube, and how far it sticks out. I ended up shortening the assembly about an inch in the front, and a half inch in the rear, from the FFR setup, as can be seen in the 3rd and 4th picture (barely).

The second pic shows the difference between the FFR supplied tube, and the 3/4" OD tube. The body pics don't have the ********** grommets, but I have them and they will go in later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks boat. I like the idea of not sandwiching the body between two bolts. Looks good. Good info Thanks Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Spacers are 1 piece. Was installing them when I took the picture. You can see the upper left is a little up & not straight yet. The lip lays flat against the body.

Pretty sure the bolts are FFR just can't remember now DUH.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bear. Where did you get the one piece spacers? Breeze?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    Nick

Rick
    Has anyone noticed a reduction/elimination of squeaks with these grommets? Mine squeaks sometimes on rough roads and I suspect body to frame rubb someplace or quick jack bolts.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but I just don't remember. When I started the build I bought a lot of different small pieces from the guys who advertise here if I thought the quality was better than the FFR supplied parts.

Also made a lot of trips to Home Depot & McMasters web site.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also a big fan of the ********** grommets. Especially if you are putting a nudge bar (bumper) on the front, save yourself some aggravation and get them.