Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Yet another opportunity to express your opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another opportunity to express your opinion

And... it has nothing to do with the engine! Well sort of. But some folks say "oh, you're running a so-and-so, and I can't really speak to that", but this question should be engine-independent. Maybe. OK, here goes. Look at the first pic. It's my power steering reservoir. Nicely installed. Very solid. Plumbing done. Don't let that sway you.

Let's hope it isn't too close to the hood hinge, but that is just one consideration. Now look at the second photo. Yes, it is the radiator expansion tank (and my left hand trying to hold it still).

This is where I am considering installing it. Before I do that, check out the next photo:

Here are the issues:
    1. The braided line out of the PS reservoir is kind of in the way of the expansion tank. I can move the "upper" portion out of the way by adjusting the angle out of the PS reservoir. I'm a little concerned about the clearance at the bottom vis-a-vis the PS pump pulley.
    2. If I move the braided line, I have plenty of room for the expansion tank.
    3. If you believe moving the braided line is a bad idea, then the next option is to re-mount the PS reservoir further back and mount the expansion tank basically where the PS reservoir currently sits. The problem there is the brake line visible in the third photo.

What I want to do is move the braided line. It involves essentially no re-work. Am I being short-sighted here? Shall I take that path of less resistance, or bite the bullet and swap positions of these two items? (it's still less work than re-doing the engine block...)

Oh, by the way... for those of you who have used the kit-supplied expansion tank (as pictured here) - did you mount it to frame rails or the aluminum F-panel? If I mount it to the frame rails, it seems like it will be sitting pretty high. The manual is a little less than clear on that topic. And - you don't need to restrict your opinion to the above described options. Thanks in advance for your input!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d suggest placement with the potential that you may need a larger expansion tank, I know the supplied one was too small for me, kept overflowing and drawing air. Maybe the climate here in S. Florida played a part, but I’ve read of others with this issue as well. I had mine on the passager side F panel.

Good luck

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with a Canton 2 quart overflow tank and just temporally mount both tanks until you mount the hood hinge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deja Vu!

I have similar component and had the same dilemma. The stiffness of my PS hose would not allow me to move my hose and my brake line gave me the same fits. You have an extra 90 in your PS line (never thought of that) so that looks like it is easy to move but you said that caused some clearance issues? That's a judgement call I cant help you with. I ended up making a bracket out of some 3/4" aluminum angle (Home Depot) so I could mount the expansion tank off of the X-Frame rather than off the F-Panel.

I made the bracket long enough so I could get a threaded insert into both legs of the X-brace and then I could mount it high or low depending on how everything else fit together. The holes are unnecessary, just liked the look.

If you have a front battery this wont help you but you can make simple brackets to mount the expansion tank a little further away from the F-Panel. The brackets that come with the expansion tank are so small they don't give you any flexibility.

I don't have any miles on the car yet so I cant tell you if the expansion tank is big enough.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Will a 45 degree fitting between your p/s reservoir and the braided hose kick it side ways just enough for everything to be happy??

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Al....sorry, but that's not gonna' work. The hood gas strut will collide with the PS reservoir. The FFR supplied coolant tank is marginal at best. When I built this Mk3 the owner picked up a similar but larger one from Jegs (56 ounces I think). I added a vertical square tube and mounted it to the X member:

Later,
    Jeff

100_3825.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep ! You can put it where it looks good.....or you can put it where it works......you could still use the FFR hood hinge put you will need to use a prop rod rather then the gas struts...da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    I almost didn't post these questions. Boy, am I glad I did! The battery is in the trunk, so the area around the X frame is clear. So I have two holes in the frame rail... Looks like I'll be moving everything. And it looks like I need to get a new tank, too. Thanks, gentlemen!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same overflow reservoir, but mounted it to the side of my radiator shroud - it's been media blasted to take off the shine, but is the same (or similar) as yours and came highly polished.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a larger expansion tank for the coolant and mounted mine on the "x" member. Since you don't have the front battery mount, that might be an option as well. This is not a great picture but you can kind of see where I mounted it.

Unfortunately, my bracket is not as pretty as Straversi's.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    My expansion tank from Jegs is mounted on the X member as well.
    IMG_0259.JPG