BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: brake/clutch reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

brake/clutch reservoir

Since I am installing a Wilwood hydraulic clutch, is it best to go to a triple reservoir?
    And what are some recommendation on the best working and aesthetically looking locations to install the reservoir?
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ck build threads of phileasfogg and EdwardB
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to have to have three reservoirs anyway, so you might as well get a triple unit. I bought a third reservoir from F5; in hindsight, I probably should have purchased the triple reservoir from CNC. The reason I say that is the CNC reservoirs have a bladder in the cap that allows for pressure fluctuations (F5 doesn't), you can get a pressure bleeder cap that makes bleeding your system a snap, and mounting a single assembly is easier than mounting three units side by side.

Also, one of my F5 reservoirs had a leak at the top where the neck meets the body. Brilliant support from F5; they replaced it no questions asked. In fairness, I've read about at least one CNC reservoir that leaked out of the box as well.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Definitely YES!

They've got a lot of nice options out there.
    I chose Function Over Form and went with a standard Tilton 3 chamber piece:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-72-576

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    You're going to have to have three reservoirs anyway, so you might as well get a triple unit. I bought a third reservoir from F5; in hindsight, I probably should have purchased the triple reservoir from CNC. The reason I say that is the CNC reservoirs have a bladder in the cap that allows for pressure fluctuations (F5 doesn't), you can get a pressure bleeder cap that makes bleeding your system a snap, and mounting a single assembly is easier than mounting three units side by side.

Also, one of my F5 reservoirs had a leak at the top where the neck meets the body. Brilliant support from F5; they replaced it no questions asked. In fairness, I've read about at least one CNC reservoir that leaked out of the box as well.
    Yes, yes, yes. I did the same thing: I originally bought extras of the F5 reservoirs so that I had three total, and when I had nearly total brake failure, it took a long time before I realized that it was because the F5 reservoirs that I had did not have a bladder in the cap. It may seem unimportant, but it makes a big difference. Now, each time I go for a drive, I have to relieve (negative) pressure on all of my fluid reservoirs so that I am sure I can maintain pressure in my hydraulic lines when I push the pedal.

I have since bought the triple reservoir from CNC, but haven't had time to install it yet. It's on my to do list.

The short answer: go with the triple reservoir from CNC and you won't be disappointed when you have to replace your F5 reservoirs.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the OTB triple reservoir on my build and happy with it. Hard to beat the looks of the mirror polished aluminum.
    IMG_0741.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would post this here to show an alternative brake and clutch setup. I used the original clutch peddle for the brakes and purchased a forward pushing peddle for the clutch. I then made a shaft mount to create a bell crank for the brakes that mounted to the peddle bolts.. This allowed me to move my brake master higher and to the left. I mounted the masters on 1/8th thick mounting plates which positioned the mounting bolts away from the frame. I drilled no holes in the frame to do this and it opened up space for gauges and other electronics.

Belcrank and masters.jpgMastersFirewall.jpgMasterSide.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Got mine from Scotts hotrods. Nice triple unit and not as large as others. Worked well in mine as I installed an aluminum plate on the side of the drivers footbox and fastened the reservoir to it. Other units would have made contact with the valve covers. Couldn't attach to the 3/4 tube in front of the footbox because of the power brake booster. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    During my build the experts recommend the CNC remote reservoir. Here is a picture of my install.

FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your input!
    I went ahead and ordered the cnc triple��

Post Thanks / Like
    Good choice, the CNC triple is the best all around in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I want to throw this out there. My brake reservoirs are the ones supplied with the F5R kit. I also purchased an additional one as the hydraulic clutch reservoir and aligned them as most do with the CNC units. As of 400 miles no issues. Am I sensing from comments that they will eventually fail due to a design flaw?? These are integral parts to 2 critical systems. Then again, I don't want to just throw money away.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    I want to throw this out there. My brake reservoirs are the ones supplied with the F5R kit. I also purchased an additional one as the hydraulic clutch reservoir and aligned them as most do with the CNC units. As of 400 miles no issues. Am I sensing from comments that they will eventually fail due to a design flaw?? These are integral parts to 2 critical systems. Then again, I don't want to just throw money away.
    Unless FFR has changed their reservoir design, I'd go ahead and replace them now rather than later. I've got to tell you that the Code Brown I experienced because of those reservoirs is not worth the savings. Further, once you eventually decide to replace them, you won't have saved anything.

It was also surprising to me that there would be such a serious oversight on the reservoirs on FFR's part. All brake/clutch reservoirs you'll find online or at an auto parts store (at least all the ones I saw) have the bladder. Further, it'd be very difficult to retrofit the FFR reservoirs to include the bladder given the design of the threaded cap (i.e., with the cap having the female threads).
    Build Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention: some of the F5 reservoirs do have a bladder. You can tell because of the tiny hole at the top:

IMG_2082 by jhsitton, on Flickr

and the extra depth:

IMG_2088 by jhsitton, on Flickr

But delivery is inconsistent. The two reservoirs that came with my kit did not have a bladder. The extra I ordered did have a bladder. And the replacement reservoir F5 shipped did not.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh, that would be the easiest and cheapest solution...

Are the caps compatible with the bodies sold with the non-bladder caps?
    Build Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes and no. The bladder cap was interchangeable with the two reservoirs provided with my complete kit. The replacement reservoir, however, had a slightly smaller diameter - just enough that the old cap wouldn't fit in the new reservoir and the new cap rattled in the old reservoir. The replacement reservoir was also taller than the others, and instead of having the knurled edge had detents.

IMG_4141 by jhsitton, on Flickr

The frosted look is condensation; I moved it from my cool basement to the garage where it's 80* with 90% humidity. The actual finish is polished, just like the others.

Hey brrgy: Doesn't take much to spin us off into a tangent, does it?

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631