Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a new GEN 3 Daytona build

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik. Did you have to trim the lower nose to clear the radiator when the nose is open?
    Mike

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! I had to do about 2inches to clear all the radiators I had up there
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent. Didn't want to do something stupid this far in.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    lol... looking good...you are cruising!

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 3 update. Didn't get much done this week as another project came back from paint and needed to be finished. I did get the following things done.

Tires and wheels mounted and balanced. (ones in previous pics were borrowed from my car)
    Tail lights mounted
    head lights and turn signals mounted.
    fuel filler mounted.
    I started to fit the fog lights but did not care for the size of them. With the customers permission, I am going to swap them for the original Mustang ones. They are about an inch bigger in diameter and will fill the cavity better.

Here are a few pics of the progress.

The new LED tail lights are kind of cool. should be much easier to see them at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    The Coupe is looking good! Nice progress for 3 weeks into the build. Any unexpected problems so far?
    Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike ,

I have a set of fog lights if you are interested.
    I cut the original mount and put a bolt through the center of the rear housing.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Len. Nothing. Its going together so easily.
    John let me knw what you want for them.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    ...Its going together so easily...
    And without a manual no less

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

Thanks for sharing your account of this build.
    Though I've only seen the new Type-65 at last year's "Cruising The Emerald Coast" seeing your assembly really shows the great engineering put into the kit and really showcases your abilities.

Steve

PS: I'd love to build one o these down the road, but it will be a few years if it happens.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-11-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

Great progress so far. I am blown away how fast you are putting this together. I really appreciate all the details; I have been enjoying being along for the ride.

I am also doubly impressed by the fact that you have made this progress without a manual. That, or you are just showing off. ;-o)

Thanks for the details, and keep up the great work!

Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by WIS89; 11-14-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Changed Mike's name from Greek god of Victory to the one his parent's gave him. Sorry Mike!!

Post Thanks / Like
    For those following this thread, Factory Five does have a manual now for the Gen 3 Coupe. Not that Mike needs it... I went to see a Gen 3 build a couple hours from me last week (very impressive BTW) and he had just received the manual in the mail from Factory Five. I obtained an electronic version of a draft copy some weeks ago. But the released one is now available.

My Gen 3 Coupe is scheduled to be completed next week. Then wait for Stewart. Trying to be patient.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-11-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eds right. Manual is now out. For anyone on the fence about building one of these, go for it. You wont regret it.
    Mike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Eds right. Manual is now out. For anyone on the fence about building one of these, go for it. You wont regret it.
    Mike
    I'll ask for one for Christmas, which is what my wife gave me two or three years before we ordered our MK-4.
    I must have read that manual 4-6 times, maybe more, since I would read it at Baby Go-Dad's swim meets.
    Will likely ask for the new Type-65 manual for my birthday if Santa Wife doesn't put one in my stocking.
    Thanks For Sharing The News About The Manual!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike I notice you have a tag on the car. When you are building these for customers how does this work? Are the kits in their names? Are you transferring ownership once complete? Any issues with that?
    Been talking with this customer of yours on instagram so I know he is on the west coast and the Massachusetts tag had me curious.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    It was just paced there for the picture. Its the front plate off my Z06
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    On your fuel filler neck hose was the hose just a straight piece or did you have a pre bent hose to get away from the rear of the frame. I just got a straight piece of hose and when mounted on the filler neck seems to have too much of a kink in it. Factory five days I have the right hose but yours seems to fit much better. Thanks for the help. 17A06AD4-5089-4712-AC4F-232785A19061.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    If its a GEN 3 there is a 90 degree hose supplied with the kit.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is a filler neck modified for the coupe w/o needing to cut the neck and add the straight coupler

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1131&cat_id=58

We offer a $43 credit for your un-cut FFR filler neck.

Sorry to crash your thread Mike!
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you are flying!! I should get my thanksgiving week but you may be done by then
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    my gen 3 did not come with the 90 degree bent hose, only a straight hose. sent a picture to what I got to factory five and they said that was correct. thanks for the info I will email them again.

Post Thanks / Like
    This one came with the same one they use on the Hotrod. They even show it in the instruction manual. In fact I don't think I even got the hard straight one.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a couple of weeks since I updated this post. Been very busy with other projects as well as getting some work done on the Daytona.

For starters, I have the complete air conditioning system installed. I will do a separate post on this later but for now here are some photos of what I did.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the complete cooling system installed including the cooling tubes from Boig Motorsports. They fit perfect.

This is the radiator shroud from Breeze Automotive. Its the same one as the Cobra. Fits perfect. Probably not needed but looks nicer than the straps.

Last edited by michael everson; 11-28-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started fitting the hatch glass yesterday. Everything went well except the hinges were a little too short. I was able to fix it, but FFR said it has already been updated in later kits.

And finally I have the spoiler fitted. No issues there either. The body is now ready for the paint shop.

In this pic you can see the FFR supplied power steering pump and bracket. Fit pretty good with no interference.

Last edited by michael everson; 11-28-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great Mike! Will be very interested in your thread about the A/C installation. I saw where FF posted Gen 3 A/C instructions so I've reviewed those. Is that the setup you used? Also, what did you end up with on the Coyote to drive both the A/C and the power steering? One last question (sorry) the Boig Motorsports cooling tubes you mention, that's the upper and lower radiator hoses pictured? Instead of the FF provided corrugated hoses?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed. I got he complete power steering kit from FFR. Very nice install and does not interfere with the A/C at all. The Boig Motorsport cooling tubes take place of the corrugated hoses that FFR supplies. Looks much nice in my opinion. Tell him I sent you.
    As for e A/C install, I followed FFR instructions but did deviate a little bit on running the A/C hoses. The only real issue I ran into is the short hoses from the under dash unit to the front of the foot box. If you don't get the length exactly right, you wont be able to screw them into the bulkhead. One of mine ended up being about 1/4 inch too long. My fix was to space out the fitting on the bulk head. You can see that in this picture.

Also I did not cut an access hole like FFR shows in the instructions. Instead I cut that panel at the 90 degree bend so that the front part stays in place while giving access to everything inside.

I just cut it alone the long left edge shown in this picture. I plan to rivet it back together using a piece of aluminum angle from the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Incredible detail and nice clean finish on everything. It's a pleasure to see such craftsmanship on these cars.

Thanks for the update,
    Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    wow you are quick building it. Hope the AC can be fit with only the top of the foot box open !! mine has been closed up for months and still waiting on the AC system.
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    David. I don't see any way. FFR does show in there instructions to cut an access panel into that panel. I thought my way was just neater.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    So I am about 140 hours into this build and making great progress. It will be leaving for the paint shop probably tomorrow. Here are a few things I got done this week.
    Most of the body fitting went pretty well. I really could not get the hood and the cowl gap to look right. The weight of the hood was forcing the cowl down a bit. I came up with a brace which fixed this problem. The cowl is now solid and the hood fits perfect. Here are a few pics of the brace. Its kind of hard to see it mounted in the car.

I also found when the car was on the ground at ride height the rear wheels were too far into the wheel wells. I bought 1.25 spacers and they look much better. The pic on the right has the spacers and the left does not.

Last edited by michael everson; 12-01-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I was satisfied with the body, I moved on to the interior. The customer and I discussed padding the dash. I used a self adhesive foam to cover the whole dash then wrapped it in vinyl. I powder coated the gauge hood semi flat black to match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whew... Great build thread. To the point. Not over the top elaborate. Great builders shine through naturally. With lots of chatter in the interweb on the Gen3 coupe, its nice to see you take a lead with showing it go together. Hats off Mike. Coyote on!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Plan on making more of the Cowl braces for sale? What kind of space is there between the back of the Coyote and xbrace in the center? I haven't seen any pics of the control pack, I assume you are waiting for it? I'm waiting on my A/C to finish the wiring, then the Coyotes and T-56 will go in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the control pack. I plan to mount the ECU through the firewall on the passenger side. Most of it will be inside. I don't see this brace interfering with much. Plenty of room back there. No sure I really want to try and make these. I'm afraid there may be too much variation from car to car. we will see.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading this thread I just might sell my cobra and build one of these. Nahhh! Excellent information for someone thinking about building one. Thanks for sharing.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of headers are those?
    Nice collectors..!

Post Thanks / Like
    they are FFR pieces

Post Thanks / Like
    So the Coupe is off to the body shop for the first round of body work. My guy will get all the door gaps perfect and then remove the body. I will get back to work on the chassis as soon as I get it back. In the meantime its back to a gen 1 Coupe build. Wish me luck....

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast