BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Scratch Build? Rear Suspension

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch Build? Rear Suspension

I built a Factory Five Roadster 12 years ago and I'm now looking for my next car project. For decades, I've been intrigued with the idea of moving the engine/suspension of a front-wheel drive car to the back of a vehicle to create a mid-engine car. With the 818, Factory Five has shown the way; plus I own an '06 Wrx so it seems like destiny. My plan, however, is to forgo the kit and use a Miata for the front end to make a vehicle that's a bit more unique.

My first question is this. What is the minimum modification that I will need to make to the WRX front suspension so it will work for the rear suspension of my build? I don't have a good understanding of why Factory Five made the changes that they did but I would like to avoid unnecessary expense and work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

car only.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    So your not planning on using the FFR 818 kit? In that case anything is possible since you will be starting from nothing! Not sure how much help we can be here if your not using an 818 though.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is your priority,

I don't have a good understanding of why Factory Five made the changes that they did but I would like to avoid unnecessary expense and work.

and you already have a fun car to drive, why would you consider building another car? Also consider that one of F5s design goals was affordability with the 818. The car would be better if all of the parts were designed for the car from the Get-Go, but then the kit would be costly. Going the other way and using more of the Subaru parts may have resulted in a car that did not meet the other design goals such as weight and performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schukar View Post
    My first question is this. What is the minimum modification that I will need to make to the WRX front suspension so it will work for the rear suspension of my build? I don't have a good understanding of why Factory Five made the changes that they did but I would like to avoid unnecessary expense and work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks[/ATTACH]
    Schukar
    I suspect you are familiar with the suspension of the WRX.
    To explain the 818 a couple of pictures is with a thousand words.

front.jpg rear.jpg

To use the front wrx strut based suspension in the rear you would have to duplicate all the front mounting points in the rear.
    The big advantage to the 818 is the full adjustability of front double "A" arm and rear 5 link. The 818 has been archiving 1.5Gs on the track.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread