FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake line help

Post Thanks / Like

Brake line help

My father and I are about a year into our build on our gen 2 coupe.

We are having some disagreements about how to run the brake lilned. I was hoping to get som advice and maybe some pictures on how other people have routed their brake lines. Specifically about how to pass the hardline through the firewall. We have the willwood pedal box with dual brake master cylinders

Post Thanks / Like
    TJ,

JUst realized you are building a coupe, so some of this may or may not apply...I built a MK4 roadster.

My son and I co built my car Early on we shared the install of the IRS pumpkin and f and r brakes.

I did the brake lines myself with the help of the eastwood flaring tool.

I routed the brake and fuel lines from the tank up across a rear frame member to the drivers rear weel where I have a 3 way connector. From there I ran the lines on the outside of the 4" frame tube to the rear of the front part of the footbox there is a place where you can transition from the e 4" tube to the left chassis and up through the area where the steering shaft goes thru the left firewall.

I have a hydraulic clutch and power brakes and it seemed logical to have all the lines go up the left side as thet is where the brake lines and fuel line terminates
    I didn't want either to be too exposed in the engine compartment.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You have a couple of options to pass a line thru a firewall. You can pass the line thru by just drilling a hole large enough to pass the line with a fitting already attached. In this case you would also need to insure that the line does not chafe against the panel, and this would require a rubber grommet of the appropriate size. The one that I use the most is a bulkhead fitting, (see attached pictures), this just requires a hole in the firewall that the threaded portion of the fitting requires. Long portion thru the hole, held in place by a nut on the long threaded portion. These fitting are for an "AN" system, but the same applies for SAE (Double Flare) systems, but they will be harder to find.

361-963203.jpg

Then you attach the appropriate lines from either side. There are a "Y" fittings to split the line into two directions such as the two front or rear brakes. Always use Steel or Brass Fitting on a brake system!

361-963303.jpg

361-963403.jpg

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Brake line routing

No need to drill holes, I think. Mocking the lines using stiff wire and masking tape to hold them in place helped a lot when I did mine. Saved a lot of time and brake lines, and I did it all in one shot, no "do-overs."

These pics might help. See the "slot" in the sheet metal firewall? Go under or inside that. Patch the slot later. Cut a hole or slot around the brake line and line the hole with a grommet if needed.

kh6wz-brake-line-mockup-005.jpg

010.JPG

Hankl does have a great suggestion, though. Those fittings will look very nice under the hood. . .
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main