FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side ehaust treatment

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Side ehaust treatment

This is for all you 289 owner/builders out there. How are you treating your sidepipes? Paint ? what type and color? sending them out to be ceramic coated? who by and at what cost? Any and all replies will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    This is for all you 289 owner/builders out there. How are you treating your sidepipes? Paint ? what type and color? sending them out to be ceramic coated? who by and at what cost? Any and all replies will be appreciated.
    Not on a 289 but I had mine ceramic coated for $300. Powder coat won’t hold up to the heat.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the VHT flat black. Prepsol and scotchbrite first to get the manufacturing gunk off and bring out that nice stainless finish. Then I sprayed them. You can see the pics in my thread.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Having mine ceramic coated probably Jet Hot Coat. Will have the J pipes done at the same time to match my headers. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a high heat primer, and a high heat paint i got from Lowes... I dont have a lot of miles on the car, but a lot of start and run time..... so far so good...

Post Thanks / Like
    I also used high temp flat black. I intend to wrap the back half of the pipe with dark header wrap to try to prevent snake bites. I expect it will need some touchup from time to time, particularly at the front bend, and at rear edges. My plan would be to mask off body and give it a squirt now and then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having a hard time figuring out what headers to use if don't want side pipes? What if we want a car with traditional tailpipes? Like some of the street versions of these car that were sold. Which header do we use in this case? Would it be just any part number that would fit a early model mustang? Like a 65 or anything ? Please help.

Post Thanks / Like
    If a 302, you could use BBK headers and just have pipes made to route down and back underneath. The headers still may have to be installed flipped from side to side so outlet is at front, not sure there is enough space to be fitted with rear facing outlets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yours were polished stainless prior to ceramic? What kind of prep was necessary
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18