Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie question: Leg room mk4 vs 33

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie question: Leg room mk4 vs 33

Hey folks,

Brand new to the forum and my search abilities stink at this point.

I’m 53 years old and have spent most of my adult life dreaming about building a Cobra. However, the closer I get to placing an order the more I’m leaning towards a 33. I like the hot rod vibe that the 33 has and they are just growing on me. I hope the group can help me compare the two.

My questions are:

Between the Mk4 and 33, which has the most leg room? I’d do a manual transmission in a Mk4 and a automatic in a 33, if that makes a difference. I’m 6’2” 220lbs and like to stretch my legs when driving. I’ll be cruising not racing.

How would the drivability differ between the two?

What else should I consider?

Thanks very much!

Keith Ward
    Marietta, GA

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Automatic in the 33 will give you the most room. I am 6'3" and my knees are bent way more in my MK4 vs the 33. Though both are really great cars IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've owned several Roadsters and only sat in the 33 a couple of times. To be honest, I was a little surprised about how much less room there was for my feet in the 33. With a clutch, it would be pretty tight IMO. With an automatic, agreed it would have more room than the Roadster. While there are some differences, the chassis and suspensions are very similar between the two. I would expect both to drive about the same. No big differentiator there IMO. The Roadsters have been through several major version upgrades over the 20+ years of production, with constant ongoing improvements. And roughly 10 times as many produced. The Roadster is definitely a more mature design.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The Roadsters have been through several major version upgrades over the 20+ years of production, with constant ongoing improvements. And roughly 10 times as many produced. The Roadster is definitely a more mature design.
    True to a point, but I would also add the hot rod has been in production for about 9 years now with over 1000 units and they drew on their tried and true "formula" used on the roadster - dare I say even improving on by starting out with a clean slate for the chassis design. The leg room after you get in might debatable, but as far as accessibility it's the hot rod hands down. Much easier to get in and out for big and tall people.

But, the hot rod is a little more complicated build and the body work is more difficult than the roadster - especially with full fenders and a top.
    Last edited by Arrowhead; 10-11-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies! Very helpful.

Wallace18, forgive the weird question. With you being 6’3”, I was wondering about leg length. I wear 32” long Levi’s, is that comparable?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    32 inch inseam pants at that height would be short legs. I'm 6 inches shorter and wear 30.

Consider a traditional 33. The cabin will be larger. A car like my 37 has lots of room behind the seats and sits on the same 112 inch wheelbase. It has a 22 gallon gas tank too. A fendered 33 would also have a rear mount tank that doesn't steal interior space.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 10-12-2017 at 08:20 AM.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best advice is to find one to sit in. Or better yet take a trip to the factory and get a tour, they almost always have one there to sit in. You can track down a builder/owner in you area too.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...3I1Spv3vl7DQEY

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, I think you hit the nail on the head. While I’m 6’2”, my legs are average or short for that height. Which should help with the leg room issue.

While I love the old classic traditional cars, I’m really looking for the build experience. I’ve built two kit airplanes and spent the last 15 years enjoying being part of the experimental aviation community. I’m hoping to enjoy the same experience with the Factory Five world.

Arrowhead, I like your advice! I’ll post a separate message and see if I get any volunteers.