BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electromagnetic Drill Press Setup

Post Thanks / Like

Electromagnetic Drill Press Setup

So, I recently got a new garage that I'm setting up, and I picked up a new drill press. But, it's an unorthodox drill press and not ideal for automotive purposes. I got a screaming good deal on an electromagnetic drill press: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...corded/4270-21

It's got an electromagnetic base that is designed to suck the drill to an I-beam, 1/2" plate steel, etc. upside down, sideways etc. Well, I won't be doing any upside-down drilling, but is there a set-up in a garage setting that I can take advantage of this feature?

I was thinking of bolting some 1/4" plate steel to a workbench and, whenever I need to use the drill press, I get things lined up and turn on the electromagnet. If I need additional height, I get some 1" box tubing and put that under the drill press. I can use a cheap vice to hold the work piece.

Any other ideas come to anyone else? I'm up for some brainstorming. One thing I was thinking of was whether I could use the electromagnetic base to hold the workpiece into place ... somehow.

Edit: Here's a video example of how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ermuoWen0D0 Notice that the amount of vertical movement of the drill bit is limited in this style of drill press.
    Last edited by Bren; 10-10-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the safety glasses that the guy in the video wears

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a neat tool for a special purpose and perhaps the plate on the work bench would make it useful for a bench drill press. There are other ways to make it into a floor type drill press such as cutting of the top of an old press and welding a flat plate for the magnetic base to set on. If you enjoy the creativity and have a lot of time to mess with it, some good fun can be had. With all the cheap options on traditional drill presses, I would ditch this one and get something better. If you do quite a bit of metal working, I would suggest a mill/drill type for a few dollars more. They are rock solid as a drill press and have a lot of other uses as well.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to use these in my line of work. Unless something has changed, they only have one speed and its pretty slow. Not a great drill press in my opinion. Sell it and buy a proper drill press. Also you risk knocking it over every time its turned off.
    Mike

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Used these mag-base drills for years -- great in the field when nothing else will work. As useful as these specialized tools are they will never replace a garden variety drill press. Once you decide you need a drill press, take 2bking's advice and consider a drilling / milling machine as they do most of what a drill press will do and much more. If you do get one purchase a set of collets and a book on how to use milling machines. You'll be able to make a variety of parts even with the most basic of drilling / milling machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. In the heat of the moment I got excited and bought it. It was only $200, so I thought I could figure out a way to make it work for me. But, you're right that it only has one speed and it's not nearly as versatile as a drilling/milling machine.

On the other hand, if I ever need to drill a 1" hole in a steel girder upside down, this'll be perfect!
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Head over here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php

You'll sell it quick over there!

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    We have one at work. I don't think it would drill upside down, I can't even get it to stick sideways. Now on top of a steel plate where you can't get a drill press it can't be beat.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool tool, but wouldn't work for about 90% of what I use my drill press for.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    We have one and use it very little, but when needed it works! Have drill press.