Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electromagnetic Drill Press Setup

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Electromagnetic Drill Press Setup

So, I recently got a new garage that I'm setting up, and I picked up a new drill press. But, it's an unorthodox drill press and not ideal for automotive purposes. I got a screaming good deal on an electromagnetic drill press: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...corded/4270-21

It's got an electromagnetic base that is designed to suck the drill to an I-beam, 1/2" plate steel, etc. upside down, sideways etc. Well, I won't be doing any upside-down drilling, but is there a set-up in a garage setting that I can take advantage of this feature?

I was thinking of bolting some 1/4" plate steel to a workbench and, whenever I need to use the drill press, I get things lined up and turn on the electromagnet. If I need additional height, I get some 1" box tubing and put that under the drill press. I can use a cheap vice to hold the work piece.

Any other ideas come to anyone else? I'm up for some brainstorming. One thing I was thinking of was whether I could use the electromagnetic base to hold the workpiece into place ... somehow.

Edit: Here's a video example of how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ermuoWen0D0 Notice that the amount of vertical movement of the drill bit is limited in this style of drill press.
    Last edited by Bren; 10-10-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014