I need some help with my big block 460 ford engine. I have primed the engine with oil using a drill in prep for starting after a long time sitting and am unable to stab the dist. back in the block. When looking down the hole, the top of the oil pump drive shaft is laying over against the side of the opening. I used a long screwdriver and can move, what appears to be, the top section of the shaft. It literally just wobbles around in the hole but, since the dist./oil pump shaft line are laid over in the block, the oil pump shaft continues to rest against the side of the opening preventing the dist. from settling down over it. I jacked the car up on the passenger side which got the shaft to come off the wall just enough to get the dist. installed - tried starting but realized I'm about 2 teeth off and need to pull it again.

I've looked at pics of the oil pump shaft on-line and they don't appear to be 2 piece units. If mine is broken, I don't understand how I'm getting oil pressure when priming using the drill.

So the question - is my case normal and the shaft is 2 piece or is it bad...the shaft is broken and needs to be replaced?

Thanks,
Todd