Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Makes This Top Because It Appears To Be Far Superior Than All Others!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Who Makes This Top Because It Appears To Be Far Superior Than All Others!

Hey Gang,

Does anybody know who makes this top shown in the attached YOUTUBE video?

https://youtu.be/lNWpmfCqr4s

Talk about a great design and extremely fast to install, remove and re-install.

Is it Black Needle from Australia?

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-27-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think it will fit on Chevy engine cars. Just joking! That would be the one to consider. I will be watching to get informed on this.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the FFR premium top and it has a better attachment than the one shown in the video. The part across the windshield is better anchored and the side curtains are better where attached to the windshield. The car in the video is RHD so the top made be a non US manufacturer.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    I have the FFR premium top and it has a better attachment than the one shown in the video. The part across the windshield is better anchored and the side curtains are better where attached to the windshield. The car in the video is RHD so the top made be a non US manufacturer.
    While I agree that the FFR Premium Top is really top notch quality; however, I'm less than impressed with the time it takes to remove and replace.

Maybe it's the Chevy in me, but I'd like a less complicated rag top with zip out windows since the weather changes so much down here near The Big Easy. (N.O.L.A.)
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-27-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool top, but that guy really made me nervous flipping that frame around the painted roadster.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Cool top, but that guy really made me nervous flipping that frame around the painted roadster.
    Funny. I thought exactly the same thing.

I've seen the FF premium top at London several times. I agree it's vastly superior to that one. It breaks down into pretty small pieces and would fit into the trunk much better than the frame assembly shown here. Guys I've seen that have them and get used to using them are able to get them on and off pretty quickly. Not an issue IMO. Plus it doesn't need all those Lift-The-Dot fasteners on the body.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-28-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a bad feeling that I'll be making "More Stone Soup" in the form of a "GoDadGo Designed Top" down the road, assuming of course that I get my car on the road, but I digress.

I'll keep you all posted if I come up with another "Dark Side Idea" down the road.

"In The Book Of Life, The Answers Aren't In The Back!" Charles Brown / Peanuts / Charles M. Schulz Creator
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-28-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know the Manufacturer ? I'm interested in the windshield brace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supersize92003 View Post
    Does anyone know the Manufacturer ? I'm interested in the windshield brace.
    That part is available from **********, and probably others. On this page with several variations depending on what parts you need: https://www.**********accessories.co...indshield.aspx. It actually doesn't do much to brace the windshield. It's main purpose is for the center rear view mirror.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't phrase my question correctly. The brace in the video attaches from the top to the dash.
    I am installing a hardtop and that brace looks like it would work nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    That part is available from **********, and probably others. On this page with several variations depending on what parts you need: https://www.**********accessories.co...indshield.aspx. It actually doesn't do much to brace the windshield. It's main purpose is for the center rear view mirror.
    EdwardB,

You Must Eat Drink & Sleep Cobras!
    Also, Congratulations On Your Win @ Autorama!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supersize92003 View Post
    I didn't phrase my question correctly. The brace in the video attaches from the top to the dash.
    I am installing a hardtop and that brace looks like it would work nicely.
    You're right. Looked more closely at the video and see he was disconnecting from the top. Different than the mirror slider I linked to. I personally haven't see that before.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    EdwardB,

You Must Eat Drink & Sleep Cobras!
    Also, Congratulations On Your Win @ Autorama!

Steve
    Thanks! Well, not exactly. I really do have lots of other things going on. But being retired does have its perks.

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDad, there are many features re the FFR premium top that in my opinion make it the best ragtop option available for FFR roadsters - including the state of the art design and high quality frame with window header mount system including frame turnbuckle tensioners that keep the top tight and eliminates flapping at highway speed (only 2 holes required to mount) - although it is a little pricey.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bump!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR premium top is the best IMO. Once you get used to it the time to install and remove is only 10 minutes. I like how well it seals and with my A/C makes hot sunny days here in FL. so much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    The FFR premium top is the best IMO. Once you get used to it the time to install and remove is only 10 minutes. I like how well it seals and with my A/C makes hot sunny days here in FL. so much better.
    I know Factory Five makes a nice top, but I'm trying to find out who makes the one in the video.

Any Assistance Will Be Greatly Appreciated Finding Who Makes This Top!

Thanks-N-Advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gang,

Does anybody know who makes this top shown in the attached YOUTUBE video?

https://youtu.be/lNWpmfCqr4s

Talk about a great design and extremely fast to install, remove and re-install.

Is it Black Needle from Australia?

Steve
    Steve,
    It's a backdraft car and the top is made by a company in South Africa www.softtop.co.za
    I saw this once before. David Corlett posted this video and answered that question way down in the comments.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 10-06-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the premium top also. It's absolutely top quality. Install time as stated is about 10 minutes, although at London this year it took about 2 hours and 5 scotch due to all the interest and questions fom fellow Cobra guys at the Holiday Inn. Although more expensive, it's worth every cent.
    Haha. I love it. A mini car show at the car show.

Post Thanks / Like
    www.softtop.co.za

They are in South Africa. It is in the replies to the comments below the video. He mentions that it won't fit an FFR due to the high rollbars. However the web site says it will fit anything the looks like a Cobra.

Things I notice and wonder. Is it watertight?
    It has snaps on the body. Originals had Lift-the-dots (much nicer than snaps), FFR top has none.
    How would it be at speed? FFR top is very stable. I have had mine over 100mph and on the autocross course.
    It looks like the canvas sits right on the paint, which would be like sandpaper. The FFR one does still take it's toll on the paint on the back deck to be truthful, even though it mostly keeps the canvas away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very similar to FFR's original soft top; I had one on #5004.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Gentlemen,

Since I Love Traveling The Road Less Traveled The Reference Material Alone Is A Huge Help!
    At this point, the top is just becoming a back of mind item.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad to read all the positive comments about the FFR top. Our roadster will be completed on the 14th and we just added the softtop (very expensive), but I'm also certain that it will make the hot humid days in Missouri so much more enjoyable with the A.C.. We are really starting to get excited now. Has anyone ordered the top in a color other than black?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugi View Post
    So glad to read all the positive comments about the FFR top. Our roadster will be completed on the 14th and we just added the softtop (very expensive), but I'm also certain that it will make the hot humid days in Missouri so much more enjoyable with the A.C.. We are really starting to get excited now. Has anyone ordered the top in a color other than black?
    Just an additional comment and something to consider since you are putting in an order....for an additional fee, you can have the rear window as a zip out, and have additional windows sewn into the rear corners to imove your visibility. I wish I had done that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Just an additional comment and something to consider since you are putting in an order....for an additional fee, you can have the rear window as a zip out, and have additional windows sewn into the rear corners to imove your visibility. I wish I had done that.
    Dave,

This is good to know as my wife just gave me the approval to order a soft top from FFR. Our Colorado weather is so unpredictable, and having a top in the trunk will make venturing out on a long drive to the mountains that much more enjoyable.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That is good to know. I will ask about that change once FFR puts me in touch with the top Mtg. regarding color options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Dave,

This is good to know as my wife just gave me the approval to order a soft top from FFR. Our Colorado weather is so unpredictable, and having a top in the trunk will make venturing out on a long drive to the mountains that much more enjoyable.

Dave
    Dave-

Your wife sounds like a keeper! What did you lose in trade? HA

Everything I have heard about that top has been excellent. While expensive, I think it is one of those situations where you get what you pay for. Please post some pics when you get it all installed.

I am going to try to convince my wife that the soft top is a moral imperative, wish me luck!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    I know right...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Dave,

Dave
    I lived in the foothills of the Rockies in Alberta when I bought the top for the same reason as you. Unless it going in a trailer, the top is a must in my books.

Post Thanks / Like
    You won’t regret the FFR/Rod Top, I’ve used mine a lot for the unexpected liquid sunshine in South Florida. It’s a real quality item that works well. We’ve also found that long highway runs are more pleasant with it on. The zip out windows and quarter windows are good things to consider, they weren’t on the menu when I got mine, wish they had been. Someone asked for a photo, here’s my green mk4 all buttoned up

37583DF6-5FAC-4DDF-BDA9-62967D92B146.jpeg

Good luck

John
    Last edited by John4337; 10-07-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes she is a keeper. Was out with me today installing a vacuum pump on our '69 Chevelle. The 502 does not make enough vacuum to assist the power brakes. So it's starts to rain, while I'm getting a little testy, she says a little water won't kill us, it will be an adventure! She is under the car, turning the nuts while I'm holding the bolts. God I do love her.

John, thanks for the picture. We are also going with green, but will have cream stripes. It is great to see how the black top looks. Will send a picture of our engine painted same colors as the car as soon as I figure out how.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to migrate a bit off topic, but regarding the FFR/Rod Soft Top (or hard top, or any top), can the sun visors stay in place while using the soft top? In the videos, the wind wings seem to be no problem, but no mention of the sun visors. And it looks as if there can be no top windshield mounted rear view mirror either. Any input on that? Thanks.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Sorry to migrate a bit off topic, but regarding the FFR/Rod Soft Top (or hard top, or any top), can the sun visors stay in place while using the soft top? In the videos, the wind wings seem to be no problem, but no mention of the sun visors. And it looks as if there can be no top windshield mounted rear view mirror either. Any input on that? Thanks.
    Boat,

I think it's a great question.
    I didn't order Visors knowing that I'd be likely doing a custom Bikini (Jeep Style) top.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The visors can stay on, but they do need to be mounted with the tab at the bottom. Also, contrary to FFR’s video, the windwings stay outside the side curtains

I use a small suction cup mirror when the top is on to help visibility.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat,

I think it's a great question.
    I didn't order Visors knowing that I'd be likely doing a custom Bikini (Jeep Style) top.

Steve
    Steve, I too was wondering about a custom Bikini top, in case I was caught in a downpour. Have you seen one on a FFR Roadster? Not sure how it would attach to the windshield. Guess I need to look into how the regular soft top attaches.
    Wondering in Atlanta, LOL
    David
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 10-08-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Steve, I too was wondering about a custom Bikini top, in case I was caught in a downpour. Have you seen one on a FFR Roadster? Not sure how it would attach to the windshield. Guess I need to look into how the regular soft top attaches.
    Wondering in Atlanta, LOL
    David
    I have not seen one; however, my game plan is to use Bimini Top Quick Disconnect hardware to attach the bow to the body.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...-Hinge&i=33714

The windshield attachment pieces will either be done custom by yours truly or purchased from Jeff at Whitby Motorsports since he makes a top for our cars.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-08-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not seen one; however, my game plan is to use Bimini Top Quick Disconnect hardware to attach the bow to the body.

The windshield attachment pieces will either be done custom by yours truly or purchased from Jeff at Whitby Motorsports since he makes a top for our cars.

Steve
    Steve, Are you thinking you'll attach to the windshield supports, maybe on the outside, near the top? I'm interested it what you are planning, when you figure it all out!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also interested in the top issue. So far I like the FFR premium top, also agree that the install/deinstall time required is a bit exessive. Maybe I wait for GoDadGo to get it all sorted out and follow his lead.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve
    The quick release hardware that comes with the FFR premium top is very slick and screws into inconspicuous mounts about the size of a quarter. You may want to contact Rod Tops and see who the supplier is. Much less noticeable then the pieces from Overtons

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a premium top with the quarter windows and zip down rear. With the quarter windows, if you are a driver that looks before a lane change, like you are supposed to, you don't need anything besides the standard mirrors.
    The zip down is nice when using the top to stay out of the sun. I roll mine down with a full sized microfiber towel so the plastic won't be on the paint.

The first couple times you put the top on and take it off, it is a PITA. After you know what you are doing and it has stretched a little, it goes on or off in about 10 minutes.

From looking at the video, I would put a big bet on the title of "far superior" not holding up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    The quick release hardware that comes with the FFR premium top is very slick and screws into inconspicuous mounts about the size of a quarter. You may want to contact Rod Tops and see who the supplier is. Much less noticeable then the pieces from Overtons
    Hey Dave,

While I agree that Rod Tops makes a top-notch top, it is a bit bulky for my taste.
    In addition, my roll bars have been lowered roughly 1.75-2.00" so a lower top would be my choice if the option were out there.
    I don't know what path I will take at this point, but I do already have their information.
    There is a company whose top I love, but it is made in Australia so it is not an option for obvious reasons, but their side and back windows zip out.

Steve

http://www.blackneedle.com/bnacobra.html
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-09-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast