Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sway Bar

Post Thanks / Like

Sway Bar

This is a total newbie question.....
    I was looking through some build threads and they mention a Sway Bar. I don't recall seeing one when I did the inventory nor do I see the "How To" install a Sway Bar in the Manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think both the front and rear sway bars are individual options that you would have to add. The instructions are in the supplemental instruction download area (which I can't find the link for at the moment).
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Typically sway bars are used to correct handling problems. You might want to build the car get a few Auto-X in to see if you have handling issues & if you need one, both or none.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! At least now I know it's not mandatory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure on how the new MKIV is, but the ones before that need some work. I have a MKI and IRS and it definitely needed work. First was better springs and shocks and then sway bars front and rear. Each upgrade showed improvement and the bars were the biggest improvement on how my car handled. I've built several others since then for others and put bars on each one. It does make a difference. If you just putt putt around town and take some casual drives, you may not need/want them. Might just be a personal preference.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Bear in mind that FFR has NEVER advocated anti-sway bars. As Weendoggy mentions, the early IRS cars benefited from the addition of a rear bar to control body roll. Since then, FFR has upped the spring rates substantially to further eliminate the need for add-on pieces. Drive it first and then go from there.
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    my MkIV came with front and rear bars.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    my MkIV came with front and rear bars.
    Believe that was part of the 20th Anniversary kit wasn't it?

I have them on mine but as a purchased option.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
    Bear in mind that FFR has NEVER advocated anti-sway bars...
    As already mentioned, FF introduced rear sway bars on the new 2015+ IRS setup and included them with the 20th Anniversary Roadsters. Around the same time, they modded the front of the frame rails to accept a front sway bar, and those were also included with the 20th Anniversary Roadsters. Both are now options on the Roadster order sheet. My first two builds didn't have any sway bars. The #8674 Anniversary build has them. For my pretty straightforward street cruising, I'm not really sure I can tell the difference. But #8674 drives and handles perfectly. I'm not changing a thing on my upcoming Coupe build. I ordered them for it too.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to read the support for the front and rear sway bars. I ordered them for our kit and did not give it a second thought in that I assumed that any car that is pushed to its limits should have them. Other than cost and additional installation are there any downsides to performance? i.e. over control? We have the 2015 IRS as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked around on the FFR parts catalog for the sway bars and couldn't find them. Do you guys have a part number or a link to them?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, they didn't used to anyway. Shows you what I know. So are they still using 750 Lb springs with IRS and sway bars?
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yama-Bro: Here are the part numbers I'm showing...

16116 for the Roadster front sway bar, and 15998 for a 2015 IRS rear sway bar. When I search the Factory Five site for those part numbers, the only thing that comes up are the Supplemental Instructions.

-- Curt
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 5 - 6 year old MKIV, so not sure what the frame mod are. I used VPM front and rear sway bars. I autocross a lot and they have definitely helped flatten the car out and reduce over-steer. They are also adjustable, especially the rear, which has helped me dial the car in.

For street only, I don't think you really need them. I agree, do some autocross runs and then decide. I was surprised how much lean I had when someone took some "action shots" at an autocross. Even though leaning itself is not actually a handling problem. Lots of Miatas out there that look like they are ready to roll over and stick like glue. But, I was having drift-fest on autocross runs. Fun.....but slow.

Remember that sway bars are effectively stiffer springs when the car is leaning, but not if you hit a bump straight on. They also take a bit of the independent out of IRS, if you have it. If you don't know much about them, do a little reading. They are easy to understand. The first thing that people learn is that you put a bar on, or stiffen, the opposite end of the car that you want more grip on.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My car was delivered in January of 2015 (Chassis #8,515) and it does not have the current front sway bar tabs.
    I did however add a sway bar (.75" Bar) and did so because I prefer a little push in the corners instead of being tail happy.
    Just understand to most Factory Five have a rear bias, but my car is at 50/50 because of my motor placement.
    Also, my pal (Hottrodder427) built the current IRS set up and I can honestly tell you that it rides very nice.
    It has the bars on both ends and is fitted with an FE 390 that is over-bored to 396 so it weighs a good bit.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-13-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
    So are they still using 750 Lb springs with IRS and sway bars?
    The 20th Anniversary Roadsters, which came with front and rear sway bars and the new IRS, where shipped with 500 lb springs in the front and 400 lb springs in the rear. The ride is very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I have a 5 - 6 year old MKIV, so not sure what the frame mod are.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    My car was delivered in January of 2015 (Chassis #8,515) and it does not have the current front sway bar tabs.
    This picture shows the sway bar mounts on the front of the 4-inch tubes by the tow hooks that have been standard for a couple of years now.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So the change must have happened when they rolled out the 20th anniversary model since my car is #8,515 and Edwardb's chassis number is #8,674.
    Seems logical that a nice improvement like this would have been made when they rolled out the new IRS rear assembly with the advent of the company hitting the 20-year mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    l ordered and installed front and rear sway bars on my 289usrrc complete kit with IRS. As soon as I saw that they were an available option, they went on my order. I have installed sway (technically “anti sway”) bars on every performance car I have owned, if they were not already so equipped. They make any vehicle corner flatter with little if any increase in ride harshness. IMHO, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    the new Gen 3 coupe also has the sway bar mounts built in to the frame, "easy" bolt in compared to the older cars. The option is on the FFR order forms. My old mkll with 3 link rear has no sway bars and based on pictures of the car on the race track it does not need them. The car does push in the turns so if I was going to track it again I would make some adjustments probably starting with tire pressures. I have the sway bars on my new Gen 3 IRS coupe but it will be next Summer before I drive it. Up here in Alberta driving season is done, already had a dusting of snow and it is below freezing at night.
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, what are the options to mount anti-sway bars on older frames without the factory mounting tabs?
    FFR8551 289 FIA build in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning on adding sway bars to the Challenge Car, chassis #8885. The front mounting points are there as are the brackets for the rear, looking at the FFR bars. Also considering the splined bar and arms as offered by Speedway Engineering.

I'm new to the FFR chassis and don't fully understand the physics of compensating for lean with heavier springs. I must be missing something. Lots to learn.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bguetter View Post
    Just curious, what are the options to mount anti-sway bars on older frames without the factory mounting tabs?
    For the front look to Forte (who has 3 different thicknesses) and to VPM for front an rear.
    http://www.fortesparts.com/factory-f...fr-swaybar-7-8
    Call him as I only see 7/8 listed
    http://www.vpmcobras.com/
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    I'm planning on adding sway bars to the Challenge Car, chassis #8885. The front mounting points are there as are the brackets for the rear, looking at the FFR bars. Also considering the splined bar and arms as offered by Speedway Engineering.

I'm new to the FFR chassis and don't fully understand the physics of compensating for lean with heavier springs. I must be missing something. Lots to learn.

Jim
    I think it is a cost cutting measure. IE 500-600-700-800 front springs all cost the same so up the spring rate a little and skip the bar. I have ridden in/driven a few FFRs w/o bars and honestly, they do really well. To get to the point on the street where the bars would make a big difference is crazy. Also, since they took the anti-dive out of the front suspension in the MkIVs, a little extra front spring isn't such a bad idea.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    For the front look to Forte (who has 3 different thicknesses) and to VPM for front an rear.
    http://www.fortesparts.com/factory-f...fr-swaybar-7-8
    Call him as I only see 7/8 listed
    http://www.vpmcobras.com/
    I purchased a 3/4" (.75") bar from Mike, but I am NOT going to be racing the car, just a few solo time trials and maybe some limited open track days at NOLA Motorsports Park.
    I used his bar and some of the hardware he provided; however, I made a custom set of mounts instead of using what was included in the kit.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-14-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    750# front and 500# rear on mine with no bars. It works pretty good...just ask Dave Smith

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good thread. Sub'd. I want to do this eventually. Thans for the pics edward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five makes a mounting plate for their front sway bar setup that can be added for cars built before the mount was standard. Shown in these instructions: https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...08/SWAYBAR.pdf. My only experience with their rear setup is with the new IRS. I don't know what they have for other suspension options. As already mentioned here, there are also third party options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any sway bars on the 33? I have a front bar looking for info on rear bar and any experience with setup? 2015 IRS
    Thanks tom
    Last edited by 1932; 10-15-2017 at 12:32 PM.