Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coupe IRS question

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe IRS question

I am considering ordering a coupe but I am still trying to decide what drivetrain I'm going to use. I was considering buying a salvaged 2015 mustang gt. I am still a little confused about the IRS equipment needed from the Mustang. Are the only parts used the gear section, spindles and brakes? So I'm assuming that the rest of the parts come from factory five (rear suspension kit listed for $2499). I apologize if this has been answered in the forum before but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the FFR is narrower so custom axles, control arms plus coil overs. Also the Coupe is wider than the Roadster so depending on the wheels you use 1 inch + spacers are required.
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR IRS design using the 2015+ Mustang components is not only narrower but is really a pretty different design than the Mustang. Mandatory is the Mustang center section and the knuckles with included bolt in hubs. You can use the newer IRS Mustang brakes. Or many are using Wilwoods. They have a bracket and brake setup designed for the newer IRS.

The FF IRS option includes the different frame setup, upper control arms, lower control arms, toe arms, CV axles, coilovers, and all required hardware.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.