Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil pan height to frame

Post Thanks / Like

Oil pan height to frame

I have an oil pan question.

I have the Canton 15-680 Front Sump RR pan. It's 8" deep. When I did a preliminary engine install in the Challenge Car (just starting the build) the pan is about 3/8" below the frame using FFR provided engine mounts and the air cleaner mounting surface of the carb is about 1.5" below the inside of the hood, not much wiggle room. No intention to change pans as the options for one that fits over the 4-bolt front and rear caps is limited.

On my previous cars, the pan was about 1/2" maybe more below the frame. Never had any problems in many miles.

Short of the obvious "big rock" in the middle of the road where's the problem? I'm really not trying to be difficult but curious as to what's been experienced or would be expected. Are there legal or registration issues? This is an area of concern that I've not previously encountered.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim1855; 10-14-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may be OK w/ that. I worry more about a speed bump than a rock. See how far the pan is behind the tire contact patch in side view. My rear sump could be a problem but your front sump may not be.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly not a problem for Michigan's inspection or registration process. Nothing about the safety inspection will go there. 3/8-inch I wouldn't worry about. Just watch low objects, like you would anyway. Speed bumps, etc. I just avoid them and fortunately they're not common where I live. I actually find the lower nose of the body by the oil cooler is the most vulnerable to low stuff. Like curbs, driveways, etc.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Craig, agreed.

Do you have a frame to ground height? Is there a "normal" height range? I haven't run real low in the past, too many dirt & country roads. I expect to be a bit lower this time.

My Audi has more trouble with speedbumps and driveway transitions than the previous Cobra ever did.

EdwardB, good morning! I've scraped the nose on a few things but not normal roads. Did have a bunch of rash on the bottom of the cooler cowl. This side of the state likes speedbumps. And then there's the Michigan potholes, certainly in contention for a "wonders of the natural world" as they are trying to displace the Grand Canyon.

Anyone else? Comments are appreciated.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim1855; 10-15-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In our FFR community ride height is usually described as the distance from the bottom of the main frame tubes at their front and rear ends to the ground.
    3.75-4 inches is common at the front and 4-4.5 is common at the rear.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's most important is actual ground clearance. Not many cars use the frame for engine protection. If the oil pan is only 4 inches off the ground, then it could be a problem. A new Corvette oil pan is more like 5 inches off the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    I added these to the bottom of the frame rails after I scuffed my drain plug on one of the local mountains pretending to be a speed bump. When I initially installed the engine I had protection because the pan was above the frame rails but, I lowered the engine to get better side pipe fitting and created this problem. On a normal car this is not a issue because the engine is centered over the front wheels but our cars, with the mid mounted engine, have the front sump in a perfect spot to get hit as the front wheels come down off the bump.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
    I added these to the bottom of the frame rails after I scuffed my drain plug on one of the local mountains pretending to be a speed bump. When I initially installed the engine I had protection because the pan was above the frame rails but, I lowered the engine to get better side pipe fitting and created this problem. On a normal car this is not a issue because the engine is centered over the front wheels but our cars, with the mid mounted engine, have the front sump in a perfect spot to get hit as the front wheels come down off the bump.

HTH

Norm
    Great idea. I like it.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Norm B,

Great Solution!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Norm.. what sizes of aluminum did you use on those sliders? Looks like about 1" x 1" x 24" ??
    I too have been thinking about adding some sort of "Frame Slider" to my setup. I was thinking perhaps long Teflon or Delrin square rods. Or steel 1" channel.
    I used a pair of sold motor mounts that dropped the motor quite a bit. Just where I wanted it, but the pan was sitting pretty low. Perhaps 3/4"-1" below the frame rails.
    I added back some spacers to the motor mounts, and have the frame and pan almost level now. But... I'd really like to drop it back down more again. It was the whole point of my drop mounts.
    Hence... Frame Sliders!!

Before Spacers

After Spacers, and a low-profile Drain Plug

Post Thanks / Like
    Gentlemen,

I do appreciate the creative solutions and comments. A friend with a Backdraft welded skidplates on his pan.

Not sure at this time where my pan will end up but I'm building in options.

Jim