BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Footbox vent question

Post Thanks / Like

Footbox vent question

Those of you with footbox vents; Do have open/close gates to close the fresh air coming in? If so how often do you close it? For the guys without a gate, do you wish you had one?

I’m planning on putting a 3 inch vent into the footbox and just to keep it simple, i wasnt going to put a gate valve. It will have an electric Atwood brand bilge blower. The footbox will be surrounded by heat insulation. Just seeing what guys thoughts are. I appreciate your input.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think you need the gates. When winter sets in I just cap mine. Same with heater intake in the summer.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the bilge type blowers in my car.. The air will flow thru the blowers when off. I seldom turn mine on.
    I have a plastic knifegate on the passenger side mounted on the footbox roof. No issues.
    I mounted the driver side gate on the vertical wall. I believe road crud/sand blows into the gate and makes it difficult to open and close. And it is in a hard location to reach. I eventually made a cable operated butterfly valve to control flow.
    There are days when you leave in the morning when it is 45 F, and you don't want air. In the PM it's 80 F and you do want air, so I think having a easy to reach/operate control is important.
    The down side is that when it is 95 F and the road temp. is 115 F, the brake ducts are venting that hot air right off the road onto your feet.
    Last edited by d42davis; 10-15-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by d42davis View Post
    There are days when you leave in the morning when it is 45 F, and you don't want air. In the PM it's 80 F and you do want air, so I think having a easy to reach/operate control is important.
    The down side is that when it is 95 F and the road temp. is 115 F, the brake ducts are venting that hot air right off the road onto your feet.
    Very true. A very slight help is to try to pick up the air from the top of the inlets. Usually the hose adapters have the hose nipple on one end so mount it so they are at the top.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do close them occasionally them in the winter, especially early in the morning. I have the typical plastic gates that everyone uses and I have to say that I pretty much hate them. They are getting harder and harder to operate with the cable. Unfortunately, I put my drivers side in a difficult or maybe even impossible to reach spot with the body on, and it is now permanently open.

I am going to do butterfly valves also. I am thinking about using 3" exhaust cutouts. You can get them pretty cheap on e-bay.

Has anyone found blowers that are quiet? I do use mine a lot here in Florida. They blow air, but are pretty noisy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody got a "how-to" on making the butterfly valves?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daltmcintyre View Post
    Anybody got a "how-to" on making the butterfly valves?
    I went to ********** Accessories, Clicked "Fresh Air Vent Kit", Clicked "Add to Cart"

I thought these were expensive but they include the control cables and they work well. I think others, more creative than me have made their own.

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. I wasnt going to put a shutoff valve in. But after some thought and after these remarks, i think I will. Ive been trying to figure out how to fabricate a butterfly valve to my liking, but I dont have a welder and have basic shop tools. I may take Straversi’s approach and click “add to cart”
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my own butterfly valves after not finding what I wanted. Didnt take much. Size the housing so your ducts will fit over, may have to split a notch so you can spread or shrink it. Shoulder bushings from McMaster Carr. Tubing for a butterfly shaft, rivet the valve to the tubing. Doesn't need to be very tight inside. Got some aluminum arms from a place that sells parts for large RC aircraft, clamp to the tubing for a push/pull cable connection. Attempted to go electric, but decided that was a bit much. Remember, we're not talking about something thats going to see millions of cycles.

Honestly, I think the most complicated tool I used was a drill and a hand file...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Vintage Air, and Summit and Speedway Motors. There have got to be some valves available. This time of year we have 50 deg at 7AM and 80 at 2PM. The valves are invaluable.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.