Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring Question

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring Question

Do you guys cut off the Hot Rod plug on the Ron Francis wiring harness?
    I have mine taped down, but it still annoys me, seeing it cluttering up the area.
    I had to order a speed dial yesterday from Forte. I would have thought this came with the wiring harness kit from Ford. Mine uses the 11-14 , which shows that it is needed.
    I have not done any searching yet, but did not find the directions very clear on where this wires into the harness.
    I did get the right red hose for WW clutch MC to FF reservoir.
    I still need to call FF about the tops to the provided master cyl reservoirs. I am reading they are not vented and need to be.
    I think the new ones are vented and hope FF will swap and will fit the reservoirs I have.
    I am progressing on the wiring harness, need to buy some 14 gauge wire today to splice into the O2 leads for the the heater wire.
    Bracket design for the ECU has not hit me yet. I keep changing the up, down, right, left for the plugs.
    I doubled the engine harness back to the rear of the engine, instead of spanning the front of the engine to the frame tubing. I will try to take some pictures, today.
    Thanks for all the help thus far, I am sure I will have more questions.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut the hot rod plug off
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I cut the hot rod plug off
    So did I. I folded the end of each wire back on itself & sealed the "loop" to the main branch with heat shrink. Then I tucked the ends into the plastic wire loom. It's like the plug was never there.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I like hearing, it gets cut off. I can handle that. Thanks for the replies
    Last edited by Railroad; 10-17-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    The speed dial was a fix issued by Ford sometime after the 2011 Coyote crates were released to solve a stalling problem. It was never included with the Controls Pack. Always a separate additional purchase. The instructions included show how it gets wired. It's necessary to break into the Coyote harness. Later versions of the harness came with the connections provided, as I understand. Not sure what you have.

X3 on cutting off the hot rod plug. Just get the ends properly insulated as already mentioned. Some are hot leads.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also cut the hot rod wiring off.

"[clip] ...need to buy some 14 gauge wire today to splice into the O2 leads for the the heater wire."

Not sure what you're doing there, but be careful splicing anything into the O2 sensor wiring. If you're trying to extend, I'd use an extension harness.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I also cut the hot rod wiring off.

"[clip] ...need to buy some 14 gauge wire today to splice into the O2 leads for the the heater wire."

Not sure what you're doing there, but be careful splicing anything into the O2 sensor wiring. If you're trying to extend, I'd use an extension harness.
    I agree. Some O2 harnesses are made from shielded wire.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to add a tangential question to Railroad's thread if I may...

With respect to the hot rod harness, instead of cutting it off, and dead-ending the wires, could some of the wires be used for other purposes in the Roadster? In other words, would they be helpful to power things like USB chargers, cigarette lighter power fixtures, or other items?

There are a few extra items I am adding to my Roadster, and perhaps this might be a good way to get power to these items, rather than trying to extend existing circuits. Does this make sense, or am I not thinking this through properly? Thanks in advance for the assist, and sorry for the short deviation of the thread Railroad!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The wire I intend to extend is the heater wire in the 02 harness. I do not think it has any input for information to the ECU.
    It has a T or Y in it, not allowing the harness to reach both sides of the engine. As I understand, this is standard procedure on this harness. It also has a 5 amp inline fuse on this wire. The rest of the wires to the O2 sensors are long enough, once removed from the loom.
    Edwardb, thanks for the input. I have read, some splice in and some have plugs for the wire. I am referring to DaleG's build for answers to some of my issues. Hopefully, when in hand, it will be more obvious. As you said, it is to address engine coast down rpm to avoid stalling. Since ordering, I have seen some comments, the tuner can address this without the speed dial.
    I try to avoid O2 extensions, too many tuning horror stories.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Railroad; 10-18-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Do you guys cut off the Hot Rod plug on the Ron Francis wiring harness?
    I installed the engine (Coyote) & Trans twice. Using a leveler is a must the way I did it. Installed the trans mount after installing the engine. I used a motorcycle lift (#1500 capacity) and raised the front of the car about a foot off the floor (and jack stands).

I ran all the wires that were to be used, making temporary connects (taped together). After that I used red tape to mark all the wires not needed. After reading the instructions and double checking a second time to make sure I have all I need, I unwrapped the harnesses and cut all extra wires out. OK, maybe checked three times.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 10-19-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035