BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Build input

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Build input

Looking for head recommendations for my small block 306 build. I have a nice rebuilt 306 with a trick flow stage 1 cam already installed. I'll probably stick with Trick Flow for the heads. Is anyone running the newer 11R heads? I'm torn between running the 170cc vs. 190cc versions.

Also i'll be running Fitech for fuel injection. What intake? Air gap vs. Vic Jr.?
    FFR8551 289 FIA build in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it is worth. I am running the 11R190 heads, RPM airgap intake, with Fitech 30004. Mine is on a Dart block, 363 ci. I have driven it several times, not license yet, but it is really strong setup. In fact, if I had it to do over I probably would have gone the route you are going or perhaps 331. I am not sure if I will ever tap into the full power of my setup. The 11r190 heads, in my opinion are a work of art. I love my fitech, it starts right up hot or cold like a modern FI engine. Hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dnew View Post
    For what it is worth. I am running the 11R190 heads, RPM airgap intake, with Fitech 30004. Mine is on a Dart block, 363 ci. I have driven it several times, not license yet, but it is really strong setup. In fact, if I had it to do over I probably would have gone the route you are going or perhaps 331. I am not sure if I will ever tap into the full power of my setup. The 11r190 heads, in my opinion are a work of art. I love my fitech, it starts right up hot or cold like a modern FI engine. Hope this helps...
    Thanks Dnew. My previous build i did a big nasty 351 which was cool and made huge horsepower numbers, but for this build i want something a little more tame in the 350-400hp range. For that reason i decided to just do a 306. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the 11r heads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would call TrickFlow and ask their opinion.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bguetter:

The 170 vs 190 in the head numbers refer to the intake port volume. The smaller ports will not flow as well as the larger ones. That said, based on your projected engine size and your stated operating conditions, the 170 heads will be a better fit. The smaller port will keep the flow velocity higher in the range you are planning to run.

I also agree with Craig...the people at TFS are happy to make recommendations!

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. The 170 was my thought as well for a 306, but i spent WAY to much time reading about 306 combos on the corral.net site. It seems the consensus over there is to run the 190 heads on a 306 because they don’t give up anything on the bottom end to the 170s, but have a bigger top end and leave room for future growth (stroker) if needed. I’ve got an email in to Woody at Fordstrokers.com as well as Trck Flow Tech. I’ll be sure to report what info they give.

Post Thanks / Like
    Run the 190, or AFR 185's from Woody. Don't go smaller!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Run the 190, or AFR 185's from Woody. Don't go smaller!
    I'll be buying my heads and valve train from Woody. Was that his recommendation to go bigger?

Trick Flow tech just got back to me and recommended the 170 heads and to run 1.7 roller rockers with the stage 1 cam.
    Last edited by Bguetter; 10-19-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    190 sounds big for a 306 street engine. If you are doing a solid lifter 9000 rpm race engine, yes, go big. Too big sacrifices torque down low, which is what you really want on a street engine. Have a look at this -
    http://www.dragzine.com/news/dart-ex...s-performance/

Talk to TrickFlow and Woody. You need to tell them what you are going to be doing with the car, and what cam you have (unless Woody is doing it of course), compression, etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    190 sounds big for a 306 street engine. If you are doing a solid lifter 9000 rpm race engine, yes, go big. Too big sacrifices torque down low, which is what you really want on a street engine. Have a look at this -
    http://www.dragzine.com/news/dart-ex...s-performance/

Talk to TrickFlow and Woody. You need to tell them what you are going to be doing with the car, and what cam you have (unless Woody is doing it of course), compression, etc
    Thanks for the link, interesting reading!

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard back from Woody at FordStrokers.com. He recommended the 11R 170 heads with the 53cc chamber to up the compression ratio, Trick Flow 1.6 roller rockers and an air-gap intake. He said this is plenty for a cobra replica “to be a real handful”. Lol- perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bguetter View Post
    I heard back from Woody at FordStrokers.com. He recommended the 11R 170 heads with the 53cc chamber to up the compression ratio, Trick Flow 1.6 roller rockers and an air-gap intake. He said this is plenty for a cobra replica “to be a real handful”. Lol- perfect!
    I should have mentioned that mine DART 363 is a DIY kit from Fordstrokers. Woody is a character but he knows his stuff.