FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaking Rear End

Post Thanks / Like

Leaking Rear End

My son & I were trying to install the Differential using a jack and some cranking straps. After a while we were getting tired so decided to leave in hanging and try the next day. When we went back the next day to work on it, we noticed about a half a cup of pale green oily substance had leaked out. We didn't drop it or anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be leaking and/or offer some fixes?

The attached pic is a side view from the driver's sideRear End Leak.jpeg
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Where was it leaking from? Can you tell? If left at an angle, very easily could drain out the axle holes if it's full of fluid. Those are open to the inside of the diff until sealed by the CV axles. Fluid could easily get by the tape it looks like you have there.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its definitely at an angle. Unfortunately I may not be able to get back to it until the weekend. I can't ID the source of the leak at this time,
    I'm presuming there is a way to replenish the fluid?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would 99.9% suspect that it's coming from the blue "plugs" used to seal up the diff for shipping like Edward mentioned. Those plugs aren't meant to be a tight solution, only keep dust/dirt out and most of the oil in. Once installed in the chassis, just open the fill plug and fill until it starts coming out the fill hole. If you're crazy anal you can drain the rest of what's in there, and refill with the correct Ford lube and friction modifier at the exact volume in the manual. It's pretty hard to overfill a diff though, they put the fill plug at a specific level so it spills out if you try to fill too much.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eamici View Post
    I'm presuming there is a way to replenish the fluid?
    I would recommend draining it and replenishing regardless. I could never get a solid answer if it came all the way full or with just some fluid for shipping. The best answer I got from Ford contained the phrase " I think it is full". I was not willing to chance it. Very easy to drain and replenish once you have it on the car and the CV axles installed. EdwardB has the proper fluids and quantities listed in his build thread post #315.

Copied from EdwardB:
    (2) quarts Motorcraft synthetic diff lube
    (1) 4 ounce bottle Motorcraft friction modifier
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 10-19-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure it is not the main cover leaking. It is probably not. But, if it is, you want to fix it now.

There is a special gear oil form-a-gasket, I think by Permatex that I used on mine. Works great, no paper gasket. Yes, mine leaked right out of the box.

One other hint, if you need it. Buy the friction modifier on-line. At least near me, the Ford dealer was outrageous.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 10-19-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a tip if you do buy any of the Ford lubricant or friction modifier get it from Summit don't but it from a dealer it's about twice the price from a dealer ask me how I know.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Or skip the modifier. I always ran Mobil 1 gear oil in my solid axle w/ the Ford clutch type lim slip. It's GL5 which means it is rated for a lim slip. I run it now in my 2015 IRS diff also.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rear End.JPG
    How do get the fluid into the Diff. I see yellow plastic plug at about 1:00 if you can imagine the pumpkin as a clock. What do you use and eye dropper (joke). If you want to drain it, which plugs do you unscrew?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a squeeze pump (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to get the fluid into the differential.

I don't think the yellow plastic plug is your fill hole. Rather, I think that's for a press-in fitting that connects to your differential vent hose.

On my differential, the fill port is at 4 o'clock on the differential cover. A standard 3/8" square drive is used to remove it. I know the differential is full when fluid comes out the fill hole.

To empty the differential, I loosened the cover and let it run out the bottom.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    The yellow plug is where the diff vent attaches. it will need an aluminum barb fitting for the vent tube to push on to. For draining the diff remove the lowest threaded plug.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint