Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR SS Side pipes

Post Thanks / Like

FFR SS Side pipes

I'm looking at changing out the FFR SS glass pack side pipes with 24" Slimline pipes. I noticed that everyone is using the 30" pipes. Did anyone use the 24" pipes? is their any drawback in using the 24" vs 30" pipes (besides the obvious 10").

Gary
    Mark IV base kit, 2015 Coyote, Wilwood brakes, IRS-3.55 TruTrac, T56, ABS, PS, Nitto G2, Carbon fiber Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the 30" pipes and am very pleased. Maybe it is not correct but I assumed the 30" pipe would provide more sound muffling than the 24". If you are going through the hassle might as well get maximum sound reduction.

I did have some problems with the J-pipes welds cracking due to the extra weight. The slimlines are quite heavy. I did not come up with the solution but did document what I did in my build thread and they are holding up very nicely now with the additional support. Depending on your setup you may want to check out my solution. Also have some before and after videos with sound readouts.

Good luck with your swap. It is a big difference.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    There would be nothing "wrong" with 24". Originals, especially full competition cars has all kinds of different pipes. I assume you are doing it for sound reduction. I needed all I could get.

PUT HANGERS ON, or you will break your headers. I cut the tabs off of my old ones. Shortened them by 1/4" and had my welder put them on the Flowmasters. I had to do a little adjusting, but they are on the original FFR hangers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hotrod here on the forum built a stunning set of 24” slimlines. I went with the 30” and love the tone. They’re great for conversations while cruising and get good and loud when you step on the right pedal! I’m sorry I waited to do it. 40,000 miles with FFR pipes were enough!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grluisi150 View Post
    I'm looking at changing out the FFR SS glass pack side pipes with 24" Slimline pipes. I noticed that everyone is using the 30" pipes. Did anyone use the 24" pipes? is their any drawback in using the 24" vs 30" pipes (besides the obvious 10").

Gary
    10"? I still use the old math, and see a 6" difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary
    The glasspacks welded in the FFR pipes are actually 24" long with 2" inlets and a 4" OD but the weld lines are 20" apart because of the taper of the muffler ends. The 3.5" Pipes hide about 2" on on each end of the original muffler. The Slimlines have 3.5" inlets so there is actually a 10" difference in the weld lines when using the 30" Slimlines hence the 10" comment. The pipes will be about 2" longer after welding in the Slimline but there is ample room between the turn out end and the rear fender flare for the extra length.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm running J pipes and was concerned with the added weight of the 30" slimline pipes. I have been reading all the other post on slimline install and testing and they all use the 30" pipes. I was wondering if the 24" were lighter and would help with the J pipe weld cracking.

Wareaglescott yes I would like to know it their is a difference in sound between the 24 and 30 slimline pipes. Did you have to add additional brackets besides having you J pipes re welded with the standard side bracket?

Gary
    Mark IV base kit, 2015 Coyote, Wilwood brakes, IRS-3.55 TruTrac, T56, ABS, PS, Nitto G2, Carbon fiber Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareaglescott
    I just found your post with the additional bracket thanks
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareaglescott
    I just found your post with the additional bracket thanks
    Gary
    Link?
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like