Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: engine builders input plz

Post Thanks / Like

engine builders input plz

I have a few options on building and looking for some input from those who have done similar.
    Between the extra stuff I have acquired, I can do the following
    257 hybrid - (using 207V5 heads/cams) or a 2.35 destroker
    The 257 shortblock was a friends and the shop said the #4 piston destroyed the rings and scored the walls, would need at least 99.75 piston if not a 100.
    He didnt want to have 1 off sized so he just bought a new shortblock and gave me this one, will know more when we break it down.
    If the crank is good, I can use it for the 2.35, and just get rods/pistons etc.
    I have 3 turbos sitting, a vf29 from the 207 (currently in the 04 WRX), a vf38 twin scroll set up, and a Garrett T04B25 super V trim.
    I would like to use the Garrett in a rotated set up, with UE manifold - I like the rumble, sorry.
    We have a type RA trans with a 4.44 FD. My concern is it wont last long on the street.

For you guys with seat time in these cars, what would you do IF you were doing it again ?
    Reading numerous builds on other forums brings uncertainty. Hard to compare a 3500 lb Scooby to a 1 ton roller skate.

My youngest got his acceptance letter the other day, so having 2 in college will slow my build.
    There is no rush on this, but it would be nice to have everything ready to go when I do order the kit !
    On the plus side, we would have an extra motor for the WRX.

The only thing I havent been able to find anywhere is the 207V5 cam specs. Anyone know these by chance?
    Would like to compare then to the USDM 205 cams to see the difference.

Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Longer final gear, LSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine227 View Post
    Longer final gear, LSD
    I have seen that a lot ! looked at both the Cusco and OBX, have a spare 03 5sp with a 3.90, have been told the RA trans was stronger ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Knock on wood, I have had no problems with the 02 trans. One other complaint I have is the shifter feels a bit numb, I haven't tried the mr2 shifter route to see any difference but it's something that I will address soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine227 View Post
    other complaint I have is the shifter feels a bit numb, I haven't tried the mr2 shifter route to see any difference but it's something that I will address soon.
    I was able to score a MR2 shifter for 50 bucks shipped (after reading numerous threads) its on the shelf with the rest of the collection.
    Going to start powder coating as the seasons changing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2.5 Block is toast, the #4 sleeve would need replaced. Have read a few horror stories on other forums about having a new Darton sleeve put in and it was never the same.
    After putting a few builds on paper, it was easier to get a new 08-14 STi shortblock, upgrade the valvetrain in the 2.0 heads (already ported/swirl polished) and have them matched to the block.
    (UPS ground, 105 lbs - the driver wont be happy )

Anyone running the BC cams in their 818 ? what are your thoughts on them, marginal difference or big improvement ?

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've done back to back between stock EJ255 and BC 272 cams and went from 350 rwhp to 411 RWHP with Blouch 1.5 XTR turbo
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne, you input is always appreciated.
    I cant find a flow graph to compare, how is the 1.5 xtr vs the Garrett I have ?
    Better / worse / comparable ? just looking for what to expect from the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    The RA trans is the strongest 5 speed you can get, bigger gears, but the 4.44's mean you have to rev it (stock V5/6 Sti had an 8250 rev limit) and you don't want to do that on the street. We have two of those boxes, and need to move to 4.11 or 3.9's for top speed on the track, you will want them for piece of mind in cruise mod on the hwy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Retro, Did you figure out the latest motor issue? Are you guys going to make it to the 25?
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    No and no. I'm taking a 3 week brake from cars, burned out from the season. The beast goes down to the engine builder next week for the newly rebuilt engine install and rip out of this last stock nightmare.