Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Impeza vs WRX hub question

Post Thanks / Like

Impeza vs WRX hub question

I am looking at doing an 818c in the future. My donor is a 2007 impeza. I want to upgrade the brakes without going the wilwood route. Can i swap the crappy 2 piston fronts/1 piston rears with a set from a WRX? Is a swap of hubs also necessary Or are they the same?

Another option is the poor mans big brake swap?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have 4pot 2pot setup, Cady bracks have been used, h6 rear brakes also work as an upgrade. Many 2pot 1pot setups too working fine. Depends on the intent of the vehicle spirited street driving you may likley find a decent second of pads will work for you since the car is about half the weight. Hubs are the same. Some have complained about 4/2 pot setup pedal being too firm, which braking effort is a bit high but I guess I am used to it now and don't mind. Someone put together some braking calculations that compaired oem, 4/2 and Cady brakes. Don't recall the outcome but a quick search should pull it up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rear brake calipers attach through the backing plate. If you cross reference the part numbers for that you'll find your answer.

The 06/07 WRX calipers/backing plates are different than other years, but I don't know if the base Impreza also got the new backing plates.

If not, Kart-boy sells an adapter to use the 06/07 WRX rears on earlier models (including the RS/OBS.)

Either way, the improvements will be marginal as the piston area remains virtually unchanged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine227 View Post
    Cady bracks have been used... Someone put together some braking calculations that compaired oem, 4/2 and Cady brakes. Don't recall the outcome but a quick search should pull it up.
    I'll save you the trouble, it was me

Caddy Brakes setup

Calculations of Caddy brakes and 4/2 WRX brakes.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. It was Hobby Racer's thread that has me leaning his way on the brakes. What master cylinders are you using?

Im also interested in going the h6 route with the 3.6. Any advice here?

If im reading your thread right, you have located the 3.6 on custom motor mounts with no offset rearward, just the frame mods you show, and a pitch angle change, is that correct?

If you could provide more info on the mounts, it would be a huge help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUalum1986 View Post
    Thanks all. It was Hobby Racer's thread that has me leaning his way on the brakes. What master cylinders are you using?

Im also interested in going the h6 route with the 3.6. Any advice here?

If im reading your thread right, you have located the 3.6 on custom motor mounts with no offset rearward, just the frame mods you show, and a pitch angle change, is that correct?

If you could provide more info on the mounts, it would be a huge help.
    Master cylinders:
    Front 3/4"
    Rear 13/16"

This made for a nearly perfect front to rear balance even before using the Wilwood balance bar, according to the calculations.

On the 3.6 H6, I did use custom motor mounts and a modified rear transmission mount. to change the pitch angle. It does sit in the normal position front to back compared with the H4 (in other words I did not have to move it back to fit).

The extra clearance I got by reducing the transmission mount was substantial! If I were doing it again I think I could get it to fit WITHOUT modifying the frame by simply raising the front motor mounts another 1/4".

If there is anything you need help with that is not laid out in my thread, just shoot me a PM
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A