Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Manual rack dimensions issue

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Manual rack dimensions issue

Can someone who has the manual rack from ffr not installed yet do me a huge favor and measure the total rack length, From thread to thread NOT INCLUDING THE OUTER TIE RODS.

I have a manual rack I purchased from someone on the forum a few years ago (while collecting parts before I ordered my MK4 base kit) that only had a couple hundred miles or so on it. Now that I'm installing it on my new MK4 kit it doesn't seem to be wide enough with the 5-inch tie rod ends. I measured my rack and it's about 44-1/4 inches wide from thread to thread BEFORE putting on the outer tie rod ends.

My issue is, in the MK4 complete manual it says to screw the tie rods on about 1-2 inches onto the rack, but when I do that, both of my wheels are way pointed into each other. so I really believe this rack may have been cut on the ends for some reason and they were using a longer outer tie rod for some reason. Any help on this would be great.

Btw, I am using the MK4 spindles with my build and the ffr lower control arms
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    you may need the steering rack extension. look in the base manual on page 162

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine measures right at 48", end-to-end. The actual threaded section measure 4-3/8" on both ends.

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that's my problem. 4 inches different from yours, and i cant even get my tierods to start. very frustrated and feel like i was taken advantage of with this purchase.

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    you may need the steering rack extension. look in the base manual on page 162
    I have the rack extensions but even they are only about 1-1/2 inches each. Hopefully that will be enough. i also am not sure if the rack extensions will work with the manual rack OR if they are only designed for the power racks.

I wont know until i get home from my work trip on friday, when i can take apart my rack and see. I hope it will cure the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rack extensions generally are only intended for power racks. Unless yours is really old or not an FF supplied rack, the manual racks for a number of years from FF are the proper wider width. The extenders may not fit plus if the rack is already the wider version, could mess up your front end geometry with them added. Doesn't sound good for the rack you have.

This is from a post on the other forum briefly explaining how the front end should line up with the proper width rack. "If you check, the outer pivot point (ball) is most likely about the same distance inboard of a line drawn between the outer pivot points of the upper and lower control arms..." This thread has a lot of detail, but unfortunately also does have broken Photobucket links. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/63-brak...teer-idea.html
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-26-2017 at 12:11 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but it might be less frustrating to pick up a new rack from FFR. $300. And you know what you have. Sorry it’s not working for your new build.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a manual rack, brand new in the box, from F5R, that I'm not using. I can check the length on it later today and maybe help you out some.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's more to a rack than just the total length. If the distance between the ball joints is not correct, it will NOT work properly. You'd have huge bump steer.