FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper control arm questions...manual, book, and parts don't jive...

Post Thanks / Like

Upper control arm questions...manual, book, and parts don't jive...

I started on the upper control arms this evening, but ran into some conflicting info between the manual, the "How to build Cobra kit cars" book and the parts themselves. So now I have questions:

1. Looking at my arm and comparing to the manual, I think it is assembled wrong. Should the threaded end be flipped the other way?

2. Which mounting holes do I use in the frame? The holes with center lines that are perpendicular to the ground, or the holes that are parallel to the ground? The manual shows it one way and the "How to build Cobra kit cars" book shows it the other way. I am using the spindles that come with the MK4 kit...
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    I started on the upper control arms this evening, but ran into some conflicting info between the manual, the "How to build Cobra kit cars" book and the parts themselves. So now I have questions:

1. Looking at my arm and comparing to the manual, I think it is assembled wrong. Should the threaded end be flipped the other way?

2. Which mounting holes do I use in the frame? The holes with center lines that are perpendicular to the ground, or the holes that are parallel to the ground? The manual shows it one way and the "How to build Cobra kit cars" book shows it the other way. I am using the spindles that come with the MK4 kit...
    You need to flip the pivot bar over so that the ball joint angle is reversed. For the MK4 complete kit, use the mounting location perpendicular to the ground.

I later flipped the bolts over so the nuts were on the bottom.
    Last edited by Papa; 10-22-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dude!
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    While you are assembling things, make sure to think about access to the zerk fittings, or if you have to remove a bolt etc. after it's all together.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. My car’s (#9180) arms were assembled upside down also.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Papa has it. Keep in mind that the upper arms are from an outside vendor and not FFR specific therefore they need to be assembled by the end user into the proper configuration for the application---in our case that is with the ball joint plate angled outward and the fittings on the top of the crossbar links. When using the FFR spindles the arms get mounted to the side holes and if using donor spindles they go on top. BTW, the "How to build..." book was created based on an early Mk4 and there have been a number of updates by FFR since it was published so some of the information is outdated.

Good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Piggybacking on this thread for a related question (I hope Yama-Bro doesn't mind)... Is there a good initial position for the adjusting sleeves? Like, number of exposed threads on each end, front and rear?

I see the OP has his almost fully engaged with almost no threads showing past the jam nuts (as are mine currently), and Papa has a significant portion of thread exposed. I know this is set when aligning the front end, but is there a spot to go to during initial assembly to get roughly ballpark close?

Thanks!
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mach'er View Post
    Piggybacking on this thread for a related question (I hope Yama-Bro doesn't mind)... Is there a good initial position for the adjusting sleeves? Like, number of exposed threads on each end, front and rear?

I see the OP has his almost fully engaged with almost no threads showing past the jam nuts (as are mine currently), and Papa has a significant portion of thread exposed. I know this is set when aligning the front end, but is there a spot to go to during initial assembly to get roughly ballpark close?

Thanks!
    Mine have much less exposed threads now that the full suspension is assembled and I have my wheels "eye-ball" aligned. As I was assembling the front end, I tried to get the upper and lower ball joint studs to be at about the same point. Once the spindles go on you can get a better feel for the needed adjustments.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Piggybacking on this thread for a related question (I hope Yama-Bro doesn't mind)...
    No prob! I was wondering the same thing, but wasn't ready to ask yet.

Everyone else, thanks for the responses. This forum is great! I wish there was something like this for every project I took on. LOL
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    No prob! I was wondering the same thing, but wasn't ready to ask yet.

Everyone else, thanks for the responses. This forum is great! I wish there was something like this for every project I took on. LOL
    Now you have me thinking, are these correct? IMG_0689.JPGIMG_0695.JPG
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    Now you have me thinking, are these correct? IMG_0689.JPGIMG_0695.JPG
    Yes, those are correct.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Very generally as a starting point during initial assembly, the rear UCA adjusters can be threaded most of the way in, and the front UCA adjusters somewhere in the middle. For the tie rod ends, with the rack centered, adjust them so the spindles are pointed basically straight ahead with the LCA's raised and parallel to the ground. That will get you in the ballpark until more is assembled and later when actually doing an alignment.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Very generally as a starting point during initial assembly, the rear UCA adjusters can be threaded most of the way in, and the front UCA adjusters somewhere in the middle. For the tie rod ends, with the rack centered, adjust them so the spindles are pointed basically straight ahead with the LCA's raised and parallel to the ground. That will get you in the ballpark until more is assembled and later when actually doing an alignment.
    Thanks!
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

I Aligned my front end and found out the rear adjuster needed to be as short as possible. I ended up unbolting the link, screwing each end all the way in and reassembling (to ensure that one end didn't have an extra thread or two). I could only achieve 5 degrees caster. Power steering setting should be 7 degrees. I found posts stated that you have to cut about 1/4" off the rear link to achieve 7 degrees.... and some said they could achieve 7 degrees without cutting. I would try it first before cutting.

Caster Adjustment.jpg
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    There seems to be some slight variation frame to frame but only slight. How much caster you can get often depends on how much negative camber you want. I have helped w/ 3 mkIVs and was able to get 6.5 caster by staying to only 1/4 deg camber. I like the idea of starting by shortening the rear sleeve as much as possible. I always end up there so it would be easier to start there. What I have found over the years on many cars is that unless you are autocrossing, all camber does is wear out the inside of the front tires. The Lexus version of the Camry speced camber at -3/4 for many model years. We replaced a lot of tires w/ the inside bald and 4/32 on the outside.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    im in the same boat. Asked this in my build thread too. Are these correct? The build book has the zerk facing down like mine are here, but you all have yours facing up. Which is it or does it even matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this set up looks correct to you.

I have a few boxes of hardware, washers, bolts, etc for spares and needed to use some larger washers to make up for the lack provided with the kit. But everything in the front end got washers. I am going to pull the spindles and knuckles and send them off for powder coat. They are SN95 units that came with the 2300K brake upgrade kit. The bearings are repacked and clean, they have a nice clean coat of surface rust but the machines surfaces are nice and clean. I installed a bump steer kit that can be installed several ways to give hight adjustment to the rack and pinion. What do you all think. Additionally, I have 13" brakes for the front and 11.65 for the rear.

Last edited by TexasAviator; 10-26-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Texas,
    Your ball joint plates are correct but you'll find it difficult to lube the crossbar pivots with the zerks pointing down. Now would be the time to swap them (and when you put it back together orient the bolts connecting the links to pivots and ball joint plate from the top with the nuts on the down side).

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jeff. I have the suspension off now for the powder coat and paint. I will heed your advice.