FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash Panel Layout help please

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Panel Layout help please

I am trying to decide which switch to put where on the dash. I cannot find any clear photos of how much room there is on the dash to left side of the steering wheel, could someone please post one? I would like to mount the headlight switch and the emergency flasher switch here but need definite information regarding room there on a finished car. Measurements would be good, if possible, for switch placement. Distance from the steering shaft to the end of the usable area of the dash and from the speedo (my far left gauge) to the same end of the dash, would be great. I know the dash will curve somewhere in there, distance from the steering shaft to this point (where the curve starts) might be helpful as well. Thanks.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I bent the end of my dash in so that it was secured by the top of the hinge bracket mounting plate. Doing so, you have 5" from the outboard edge of the steering column opening. In the picture below, my turn signal switch is 4 1/2" from the outboard edge of the opening.

Note that I have the competition dash layout; if you're using the pre-cut dash provided by F5 - or if you secure the end of the dash more outboard - you may have slightly more real estate with which to work.

Cheers,

John

IMG_3683 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Dimensions

Here is an attached detailed layout of my competition dash in pdf. with measurements referenced from the center of the steering column. The ignition switch and charge indicator lamp at the far left are mounted just before the dash bend. In my case I could not move any further left.

Hope this helps.

Mk4 Dash pdf..pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    There is very little room in that area before it goes under the body, but I guess it still would be accessible (just not very visible)

MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all, very good info. JDAV, it appears that your dash begins to curve just beyond your tach (hard to tell for sure in the photo), is that true? If not, how far from the edge of your tach to the beginning of the curve (bend) in the dash? Thx.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to mount either my ignition switch or headlight switch to the left of the steering column so I spent some time trying to answer similar questions.

I ended up making the competition layout but I had traced the standard dash as well so the paper tach location in the photo is correct. Blue tape shows the 3/4" frame hoop behind the dash so you cant move the tach up any. If you are using the sock headlight switch, it has a pretty large footprint behind the dash, 2" x 2".

I bent my dash with a fairly tight radius so it terminates inboard of the door hinge, per Jeff Miller's recommendations. I have seen others with a larger radius. With it bent like mine, there is about 1" of flat between the tach and the beginning of the curve. I think you can sneak the switch in there but it is going to be tight and the switch will probably pull outboard towards the door a bit. I ended up mounting the ignition to the left and the headlight switch to the right but either would be nice.

I cut the gauge holes but didn't drill for the switches and controls until I had the dash clamped in place. Hope this helps

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, that helps a great deal, thank you. I think I will need to change my plan as I do not want the switches crowded into a corner.

I do have another question now though. The manual has me bending the last 1.25 inches of the dash forward 45 degrees. I do not see that here. Anyone else have a dash with this bend in it and photos of how this works?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you guys sure must like looking at the top of your door hingesand parts of the frame. I let the end of the dash follow the rolled body edge so it goes out over the top of the hinges. This is my old mkII so the steering column is not in the same position as a mkIV
    Dash end mine by craig stuard, on Flickr
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Thank you all, very good info. JDAV, it appears that your dash begins to curve just beyond your tach (hard to tell for sure in the photo), is that true? If not, how far from the edge of your tach to the beginning of the curve (bend) in the dash? Thx.
    That is true. I should mention that I have the FFR upgraded dash with glovebox, so that bend was pre-formed. If you are bending an aluminum one by had, you may be able to get a bit more before the curve. Either way, it'll be tight as the body/door curve out right there.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread