Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 427 fe sohc in a 33

Post Thanks / Like

427 fe sohc in a 33

As title,
    Would a 427fe sohc "cammer" motor fit in a 33? I already have the motor and had planned to fit in a Mustang.
    CamQ

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 challenges:

1) Dampener pulley position relative to water pump and the rack and pinion.
    2) Width of valve covers at what height and exhaust port relative to the upper control arm mount.

I haven't mocked one up and was considering a 460 with John Kaase heads a little bit...once.

This is one of those builds that is about 1/2" off in all the wrong directions. If the cammer is more than 30" wide across those valve covers I don't think you can do it without chassis mods. At 30" you need to look at how the header sits relative to the motor mount. Then you have that long Ford nose on the crank and that front cover that pushes everything forward. That is probably the show stopper unless you can move the rack forward.
    If I had a cammer it would go in the Mustang, or a 69 AMX...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Engine Dims:
    FoMoCo_Engine_Dims.jpg

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would look so impressive though. I forgot how much the header is tucked under and back. It Might be achievable with a little chassis work. Something I would give a shot at. The front of those valve covers would hang over the rear upper control arm bushing and stick out past the tubing, but there is a chance the exhaust might tuck inside the UCA bushing. I think the rack can get pushed forward an inch. looked at this a little already. No room for a gilmer pulley but injector stacks are acceptable... FE aluminum blocks are available from a couple sources now. I hate to say this, but, it might be even better handling than the mustang. Those cammers sit high so the valve cover and head can clear the tube at the rear I think.

I would find someone with a 33 build in driving range and play with the engine hoist on a Saturday. I should build a PVC mockup of the front of one of these. No! FFR should build a thin tube mock up that can bolt together and ship in a UPS box. 30 day rental for crazy builders doing one off mock ups. I'm a friggin genius. Make it so Dave!!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    A thin tube mock up of the front section of a 33 HR is a great idea! Of all the FFR cars, the 33 is probably most likely to be considered for a variety of power plants not supported by FFR. That's really the core of what hot rodding is all about -- making a car your way.

If I really wanted a SOHC engine in mine I'd make it work. It would be very cool to have a 33 powered by that engine. Just like it's very cool to power one with an early Hemi.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    A thin tube mock up of the front section of a 33 HR is a great idea! Of all the FFR cars, the 33 is probably most likely to be considered for a variety of power plants not supported by FFR. That's really the core of what hot rodding is all about -- making a car your way.

If I really wanted a SOHC engine in mine I'd make it work. It would be very cool to have a 33 powered by that engine. Just like it's very cool to power one with an early Hemi.
    Thanks for the endorsement NAZ! Feel free to go ahead and build a mock up. I know you can do it in a weekend. The SOHC has always eluded me. If I stumbled into one I probably would look for a Fairlane. Its an extremely complex engine and somewhat intimidating to tackle. The Kaase heads are expensive, but when compared to an Ardun conversion its probably less dollars per HP. Since I also have a couple 460BBF's in reach I would go for the 500+ motor first. I'm surprised I haven't seen an Ardun head 33 yet. I think the tube Mockup would be good now that the 35 PU is viable and it appears steel bodies are really coming. I really think the modular frame and body approach is in FFR's best interest. Maybe a MKII mod III coupe is in the plan??

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A Boss-9 Would Be Just As Cool & Far More Easy To Locate!

While this is out of the reach of many for financial reasons, it is just as cool as a SOC motor for True Ford Fanatic.

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com...e_engines.html
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-01-2017 at 02:01 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I agree -- the Boss would be very cool in a 33HR.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    A Boss-9 Would Be Just As Cool & Far More Easy To Locate!

While this is out of the reach of many for financial reasons, it is just as cool as a SOC motor for True Ford Fanatic.

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com...e_engines.html
    I'm sure the Boss would win a Ford in a Ford award as long as the SOHC didn't show up!! And I don't think just a Ford Fanatic would appreciate one in a 33! Maybe even a Chevy guy would like it The attraction with the Kaase stuff is that you could just stick those heads on a used 460. For me I would have to resist the urge to build an all out race motor and just use a leftover 460 with a cheap stroker crank. At that point you've spent a lot of money on pretty valve covers and created something that a 2600lb car may not be able to take advantage of. OK, so yes I would do it anyway if I didn't have a pile of blocks that already have pretty valve covers and cost half as much to build.
    So now you know how I arrived at the engine choice I made. The rough cast valve covers look a little like the Arduns, The little Hemi is making more power than the equivalent Arduns, I did not have to modify the chassis, I achieved 50/50 weight distribution, and I still have not made a full throttle run through the gears because I don't need to.
    I will say that for most builders it will be easier to put together a Kaase motor than either a Desoto Hemi with a roller cam, or a FE SOHC for sure. Just need money, more money, and a touch of crazy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Maybe even a Chevy guy would like it The attraction with the Kaase stuff is that you could just stick those heads on a used 460.
    This Chevy & Mopar Fellow is a big fan of the 385 series BBF. (429 & 460)
    The bore and stroke combination just seem to be very logical to turn up the RPM's.

4.36 @ 3.59 / 429
    4.36 @ 3.85 / 460

The Boss heads really make that engine and who doesn't love the look of the Semi Hemi?
    If the funds and skills were in my wheel house, it would be tempting proposition.

Steve

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more along the lines of an inexpensive cast stroker just to keep the air moving through those ports at lower rpm. The 429 can be a screamer. I do remember the early hydraulic cams throwing lifters out of the bore. I think the valves would float and then everything just goes bad from there. Sometimes just the pushrod, sometimes not so lucky. The biggest issue for the 33 is the space against the rack. I think I could get the exhaust ports clear of the UCA. Probably could just stick a powerglide behind it for reverse. Don't need gears to go.
    I have thought about using a 2 bolt main block with those heads just for looks. Pricey cosmetics. Gotta find someone crazy enough to fund it. Couldn't talk my brother into it. He has 2 with CJ heads already. I don't remember why I have a 429 short block anymore. Probably a trade. Wonder if it would fit in a Gen III type 65??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Wonder if it would fit in a Gen III type 65??
    I've seen the Gen-III Type 65 up close and personal last year at Cruising The Emerald Coast.

The engine bay is massive and the modular motor fit very well so I think all sorts of combinations could be made to work.

The room inside the cockpit is equally amazing, plus the new body corrected a lot of issues compared to the previous generations.

It Is The Best Of What Factory Five Offers From My Perspective!