Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob's MKIV Build. Base Kit 427

Post Thanks / Like

Rob's MKIV Build. Base Kit 427

Hello Everyone

My MKIV is on the truck and on its way from Stewart Transportation. They tell me its 10-14 days for delivery so I'm spending the weekend tidying up the garage in anticipation. I done basic maintenance on cars all my life, but something like this is a big step for me. Although, I'm not shy about diving in to projects and getting them done so I'm very excited to start this build. However, I'm hoping everyone on here can provide some guidance and help. I've been reading through these forums and re-reading the manual in anticipation. however, I don't think it will all "Gel" for me until I actually pull that first wrench out and start. I've been looking for a great sport convertible and could never find anything that stacks up to a Cobra and being the ultimate DIY'r, I think this project is right up my alley.

Here's what I ordered. I hope it makes sense in the end!

Base Kit
    IRS
    Power Steering
    Race Seats
    17" Halibrand Tires
    Heater
    Dual Chrome Roll Bars
    Will wood brake kits

Mike Forte has been great and is putting together my Ford Racing 427 small block. Went with traditional Carb and a Tremec TK0-600.

I'm hoping to end up with something I can cruise around in and has a little pep in its step. I went with the base kit thinking I'll want to upgrade as much as I can along the way to really make it the car of my dreams.

I've been trying to prep for things I will need and have my first question for the experience of the forum. I am looking for the IRS differential and don't really know where to go for this. Any suggestions? Also, I was thinking of adding the front and back sway bars. Yes/No? What is the prevailing train of thought.

Looking forward to posting pictures as I move along. And sharing my experience and reading about others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with the build. Looking forward to following along.
    I did the front and rear sway bars. My MK4 is the only one I have ever driven so I can really speak on whether they were worth it or not as I have nothing to compare it to. The car corners very nicely though and I notice essentially zero body roll.

Were are you located at?
    I have had my first opportunity to drive in colder weather this week. I was thinking about the heater yesterday actually and was thinking to myself there is so much airflow within the cockpit from outside air I cant imagine the heater would do me any good for warming effect if I had it. I originally ordered a heater but changed course mid build for seat heaters and really like those. Of course if you are going with some sort of top the heater would work great in that situation.

Also sit in your seats when you first get them. By race seats I assume you mean the Kirkeys. FFR only sells one width. 16" between the side bolsters. I am 6'3" and 215 and they are a snug fit for me. The 17" seat will also fit in the MK4 and offers a little more room. I did not realize that another seat width was an option when I ordered. If you decide you might like that extra inch Im sure you could return them and source your own. Summit actually had a better price on them than FFR when I looked.

The build is an awesome experience and the pride you will feel driving the car your built is amazing. Have fun!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Rob,
    Welcome to the party. I'm thinking a 427W is going to give you a bit more than a little "pep in the step"! There's a bunch of us in the early stages of build, including at least one donor kit. The help you can get here is great, just ask.

I'm going to shoot you a PM with where I got my IRS and rear knuckles (don't want to break any rules about naming non-preferred vendors - better safe than sorry).

You didn't list a location, that I see anyway. You might even find that you have other FFR builds in your area, and be able to expand your FFR network that way as well.

--Curt
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rob,
    My kit is on that truck as well! Are you in GA? If so I am right after you...waiting here in IL

Welcome, guys here are great!
    Martin
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A Fantastic Journey Is About To Start!

Congratulations From The Big Easy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey War Eagle,

I've looked at your build thread several times and you put together an amazing ride! I'm in San Ramon in the East Bay of San Francisco. It gets a little chilly in the morning and I know I'll want to drive it as much as possible so my thinking was better to have the heater and not use it, than need it and not have it. I think the seat heaters are a great idea and I'm adding them to my list. Also, decided to go with the sway bars so time to order those up. Also, thanks for the heads up on the seats. I'm 6'3" 230 and if they are snug for you I know they are going to be even snugger for me. First thing I'm doing is sitting down in those seats!

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Curt,
    Thanks for the PM. Nice to have the help of this forum to reach out to. Give me the extra confidence to take this one.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Martin,

Looks like we are probably on the same truck. However I'm actually in the East Bay of San Francisco so I imagine I"m probably last off the truck. You'll get a bit of a head start on me. Good luck on your build and keep me posted!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I'll be watching along as you build.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome... And welcome... You pretty much have the build that I just completed... Mike is great... Any questions on anything shoot me a pm. Wiring was my biggest challenge, but once I got it all done it made complete sense.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjamesellis View Post
    Hi Martin,

Looks like we are probably on the same truck. However I'm actually in the East Bay of San Francisco so I imagine I"m probably last off the truck. You'll get a bit of a head start on me. Good luck on your build and keep me posted!

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I should be getting a call today about the ETA delivery time. This forum is great. I love the pics and helpful hints. My garage is certainly ready!
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and enjoy the experience. You can get a lot of help and answers to anything you run into here. Not many people get to build their own dream car so enjoy.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob,
    I'll have a full diff assembly available in a week. Iron case, 3.55s, traction-loc, new to the best of my knowledge as it came with the unassembled car I purchased. I switched units and will need to move this one. PM if interested.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I've been building my car since June and I'm having a blast. The help available from this Forum is priceless! As for sourcing the IRS, have you looked as eBay? I see a lot of them available for very good prices. Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2...dZ6AWP&vxp=mtr

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rob,
    Welcome! It looks like you are pretty close to us! We are in Lafayette and just got our car a couple months ago so are pretty early in the build (and slow). Let me know if we can help you out at all!
    -David
    MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Still waiting on the truck. Got held up and now delivery is scheduled for around Thursday. I've taken the time to order up some things and get my buck and garage ready. Picked up a Torsen differential and IRS Spindles. Also got word from Mike Forte my motor was ready. Here's what he put together for me. Also picked up a mechanical fuel pump from him.
    Boss 427
    - Edelbrock Performer Intake
    - Ford Racing Cam
    - Ford Racing Z-Heads
    - Pertronix Ignitor 3 Ignition
    - Quickfuel 680 Carb
    Horsepower = 465.4 @ 5500 RPM
    Torque = 490.1 ft/lb. @ 4000 RPM

Looks like not much else to do but sit and wait! Guess I'll read through more threads and the manual while I'm sitting in my garage waiting. 2017102995133952.jpg2017102995134140.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! Sounds like it will have more than a little pep it its step. Have fun.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David,

I'm keeping an eye on your build. With you being a couple months ahead of me and just down the road, I'm hoping to follow along and learn from you. I am sure I'll have some questions along the way!
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rob, welcome. Nice to see a few more builders in northern California, looking forward to meeting you someday at a Nor-Cal car event! I am just east of you in the foothills after leaving the Bay area 20 years ago! On the heater, good choice in my opinion. I have had many convertibles in California and I use the heater a LOT! I am not a fan of seat heaters so the little bit of warm air that does circulate in the cockpit really helps take the edge off on those crisp mornings or when driving home later than planned, especially if the wife is along! Enjoy the build, for me it's been a blast so far!
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've finished my inventory and found a few parts missing. Gotta say Factory Five is on top of it and already have those parts shipping out to me. I took the opportunity while speaking with them to order up front and back sway bars. Also, I don't know what I was thinking but I only ordered the rear Willwood brakes and now need the front. I explained the situation to my wife and she gave me that look. You know, like I just spent our vacation money on a pair set of brakes and she can't figure out whats in it for her! I also ordered up Russ's drop trunk kit and am going to head over there this weekend to pick it up.

Now that I've been poking around I've added a few other items to my list. Going to move the batter to the front and need that kit. Also need to order up a pedal box. Are there any other options that have worked for folks other than the Factory Five? I have no problem going with the Willwood set and getting all the parts I need from FF but just wanted to know if there were other options available. Also planning on getting the hydraulic clutch after reading through all the threads. Seems like its a good idea as driving in the Bay Area requires a lot of stop and go until you can get out of the congestion.

While waiting on the rest of the goodies I'm going to put all my panels in place and drill as many holes as possible. Started that last night and making progress. Feels good to actually being something rather than reading. I'm planning on getting all of them powder coated black. Also got myself some Lizard skin that I"m going to put on the underside of all panels showing under the car. Figure that would provide a little more protection and sound barrier.

Finally decided I'm going to go for Black with Orange stripes. I like the look of Wareaglescotts car and that orange strip but need to stay true to my OSU Beavers and go Black and Orange. Having fun so far!!20171112_133517.jpg20171112_130152.jpg20171112_130052.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'be been making some progress since my last post. I've got all my panels drilled and now I just need to clean them up a bit and get them powder coated. Others were correct in saying not to worry about marketing the panels. After drilling all those holes you really get to know every panel well. I feel very confident in being able to get it all of them back on without a problem. I took the opportunity to get my F-Panels powder coated while drilling the holes in the other panels. Took about two days and they came back looking great. I ordered up some black rivets and used those to install the F-Panels. It felt really good to actually attach something!!! My wife came out and said I was too messy and helped me clean up the frame and vacuum up all the shavings from the drilling. I got the Front Lower Control arms on without much problem. I was a little confused about the spacers and ended up using one of the large washers that seemed to fill the gap nicely.

I then read through the sway bar instructions and realized I should have left the front bolts off. Oh well. Two steps forward and one step back! I guess my excitement to actually start building got the best of me.

Question for everyone. Has anyone stored the body outside? I put it outside and put plastic wrap all over it to protect it. I can't think of any issues with this as its perfectly water-tight at this time. But thought I would reach out to the experience of everyone else. I'm not worried about much getting to it other than the rain.20171121_205223.jpg20171128_203456.jpg20171129_191925.jpg20171129_191935.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Look what came today!!! My 427. Also got my Tremec TKO-600. That beast20171130_184323.jpg20171130_184340.jpg20171130_184353.jpg looks way big to get into that little engine compartment but I'm sure it will fit somehow. I love all these nice packages arriving. Best Christmas Ever!

Post Thanks / Like
    Making slow but steady progress. After applying the POR-15 this weekend, I Had my son help me lift the differential into place this evening. Found out quickly he didn't know the difference between a crescent wrench and channel locks while I was busy holding it in place. I think he was testing how the old mans strength was still holding up! I think I got lucky though, because once it lined up, all the bolts went into place pretty smoothly. Got them all torqued per specs. Hoping to get the rest of the IRS in place in the next couple of days. Also cleaning up all the panels to get to the powder coater before the weekend. Still waiting for backordered parts. The front upper control arms weren't in my packaging although FF marked them as shipped so I'm still waiting on those. Also need to order up the front wilwood brakes and pedal box. Trying to think ahead of the things I might need so I'm not too slowed down. Cobra raw diff.jpgdiff rear.jpgdiff in front.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Started making some progress this weekend on the IRS and Brakes. Didn't have too much trouble although, I found the bolts lengths in the kits didn't match up exactly with the bolt lengths as described in the instructions. So I spent probably a good hour looking at all the installed bolts and measuring them to make sure I didn't make a big mistake and have to back out and swap a bunch. Found out that many supplied bolts were just a half inch longer than the bolts described in the instructions. I didn't see any interference anywhere or did I see any short bolt problems. So decided all is okay and just forged ahead.

The Wilwood brakes went on great. Ended up not needing any shims on the bracket to get them centered and the recommended two shims lined up the pads with the rotor perfectly. Got it all on and was happy with the result. Put on a rear wheel to check for clearance and all was good. Also that fat tire look way cool sitting there! Made me feel like I was actually getting somewhere!

I have a question on the supplied Wilwood brake lines. The short line out of the brakes. Does that need any type of sealer or do most just screw it in the side? In my base kit, it came with FF supplied leaders and brackets but I didn't use those. But have others used the brackets to attach the Wilwood lines? The pictures recommend routing towards the bottom of the Koni's without a bracket but I've seen others attach a bracket. What is the recommended was to install these?

Next steps are ordering up the Front Wilwoods, Pedal Box and Front Spindles so I can wrap that up and then route brake lines. Reading through EdwardB's thread, I like the Stainless steel lines and plan on doing that. Time to go shopping again!
    Right rear IRS 2.jpgRight Rear IRS Top.jpgLeft Rear IRS Front.jpgLeft Rear IRS and Wilwoods.jpgRight Rear II.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got approved to post. I got my kit delivered in June, right after I retired. Didn't have the garage cleared out yet so it sat on the side of the house til I bought an enclosed car trailer to keep everything in. Southern Ca. so sorry if our weather permits stuff outside. Got a job offer right after I got back from first vacation in awhile, so build was on hold til a couple of weeks ago. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the order, because there have been some hiccups already, two weeks in. I'm sure FFR will get things corrected, but I already built a body buck and have started the front suspension. 1st hiccup. Somehow I got pin drive lower A arms (don't know if I ordered it, but don't even know what the pin drive front suspension is? Some help? Anyway, I was scratching my head with why the spindles were pointing down at a 15 degree angle til a friend in Huntington Beach (way more knowledgeable than me) suggested I measure them. Mystery solved, so I will call tomorrow and try to correct my screwup. Anyway, if there are any new builders in the San Bernardino, Riverside or Orange County area of So Cal that are in the build process or have finished, I could use some assistance. Thanks to all,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bill,

Congrats on starting your build. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as everyone else on here has. Yes, here are often a couple mix-ups on the shipments but I've found FF to be very responsive with any shipping errors and getting parts out to you. I'm still waiting on a few backordered parts but other than that, they've helped me out. You'll find lots of help on this forum from experienced builders. A few who have done a few builds and know all the tips and trips. I would check them out for help along the way, I know I've used Edwardbs, Jazzmans and wareaglescotts build threads and guidance for me. They've all done a great job of documenting every detail and I often read, reread and read again to know what to expect and check my own work. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year Rob,
    I am still trying to navigate this forum. Thanks for responding. Worked on the car during the holidays. Tackled the wiring harnesses and fuel tank. Still waiting on the trans, Center section, rear brakes and spindles (IRS rear suspension). Found out today FFR gave me motor mounts for a 302, not the Cleveland I told them I was installing. Come to find out, they don't have any support for the 351C so I hope the chassis isn't going to require modifications. That would suck. Gonna have to find someone to build the headers custom. Oh well, if it was easy my grandson would be building it (he's 7).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Rob,
    Sorry for not checking out your earlier posts. The 427 is awesome! I really like the serpentine set-up. Do you happen to know who builds that? I haven't gotten that far yet. My 351C is just a long block. In retrospect, I probably should have gone that way. There are very few parts for Clevelands, but I'm told it should really run.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Christmas! That's a nice looking motor. Not sure if I understand our question about brakes, but I put Permatex thread sealant on the fitting threads that screw into the brake calipers. No sealant required on the other end, the -3 AN threads that connects to the stainless flex lines. The fitting that connects the stainless flex lines to the hard brake lines that you bend yourself, that fitting is connected to your chassis with the supplied brackets.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bill,

Sounds like you are moving along. Well ahead of me. I got the 427 from Mike Forte. I ordered up the engine and transmission from him and had him build it out for me. It just wasn't something I wanted to tackle at this time. He did a great job and I'm looking forward to the day I can fire it up!

Rob
    MKIV Base Kit, delivered 11/6/17. Build Thread Link: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Base-Kit-427
    Carburated 427z, TKO-600 (.82), Torsen Diff (3.73), IRS, PS, Heat, 17” Halibrands
    First Start: 10/18/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Christmas Steve,

Thanks for the info and responding. I figured things out after reading through several of the forums. I almost made the mistake of adding some teflon, my habits from working on the so much plumbing, but resisted and got things together. I found the brackets in the kit and got everything mounted. I think some of my confusion is coming from the Basic Kit manual I'm reading through, and trying to mesh that together with the complete kit manual I have in pdf form and reading through other build threads. Good thing I like puzzles! Its coming together nice though.

Rob
    MKIV Base Kit, delivered 11/6/17. Build Thread Link: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Base-Kit-427
    Carburated 427z, TKO-600 (.82), Torsen Diff (3.73), IRS, PS, Heat, 17” Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Been chugging along a little. not making as fast progress and other but I'm happy with things. Part of the challenge of the base kit is not having everything in boxes around me. So I spend a lot of time looking through what I have and what I need and sorting it all out. Have to admit its probably the part I like and shopping around for parts in advance of me needing them. So I find myself spending more time reading and reasearching than working.

managed to get all the suspension in over the holiday weekend. No major problems along the way. I ordered the FF front spindles and hubs as they seemed to be the best solution and best fit for the front suspension. I got those delivered right before the new year holiday so put those in. Added on the Wilwood front brakes and they look sharp. I got a little confused by the front upper control arms as they pointed front and back. I didn't notice a Right or Left version so just assumed this gets straightened out during alignment. if anyone knows otherwise, I would appreciate the heads up.

Ordered up Fuel Tank and install kit, battery box, and back compartment from Breeze, Lokar ebrake I'm not happy with the location on the passenger side. I'm planning on mounting on transmission tunnel top. Still waiting for the power steering from FF and my brake reservoir as I want to do all my brake line and fuel line runs next. Found a neighbor during a New Year's party who does wiring and wants to help with the harness. So should have some expert help with that. Things are coming together.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question on the supplied Wilwood brake lines. The short line out of the brakes. Does that need any type of sealer or do most just screw it in the side? In my base kit, it came with FF supplied leaders and brackets but I didn't use those. But have others used the brackets to attach the Wilwood lines? The pictures recommend routing towards the bottom of the Koni's without a bracket but I've seen others attach a bracket. What is the recommended was to install these?
    Right rear IRS 2.jpgRight Rear IRS Top.jpg
    You're making good progress. Looks like you received an answer about the sealant. But just to be clear. The 1/8-27 NPT fitting on the Wilwood calipers, using the supplied Wilwood flex lines, does require sealant. I typically use Permatex or Loctite thread sealant. The -AN fitting on the other end does not.

You should have received tabs in your kit to mount the chassis fitting for the flex lines. You need to mount them where they provide adequate clearance for the wheel and suspension to move, and also to be accessible for the brake lines on the other side. My build thread shows pretty clearly where I mounted mine for both front and back. I chose those locations after looking at multiple build threads and also FF’s 2015+ IRS setup. In the complete kit, FF does provide flex lines, brackets, etc. Sounds like your base kit did as well. However when you order the upgraded Wilwood setup like you have, it has its own flex lines. Use the Wilwood ones.

In the pictures of your IRS, I see you don’t have the tech change that FF made a couple years ago. Not long after the new IRS came out. Unfortunately, not every instruction has been updated. You should have a large washer between the bolt end and the adapter pieces. They also provide a newer longer adapter that gives additional clearance. You might have that, I’m not sure. But you don’t have the large washer. This is a screen capture of the updated instructions in some of the documentation. I think it's a safety concern, so highly recommend you implement that change.

I got a little confused by the front upper control arms as they pointed front and back. I didn't notice a Right or Left version so just assumed this gets straightened out during alignment. if anyone knows otherwise, I would appreciate the heads up.
    Correct. There is no left and right upper control arm. They’re both the same. The fixed portion will be on the front on one side and the back on the other. It’s not a problem. Looks like you have them assembled properly.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking a look and he heads up. You are right in that I was missing the washer. I went ahead and put that on. I also reviewed your thread earlier and mounted my tabs for the flexible brakes lines exactly where you did. I've used your thread often to help me out. I find it to be much more complete than the manual. Thanks for taking the time to do that and help all us newbies out here!

Post Thanks / Like
    So I spent the weekend working on some odds and ends and getting the e-brake in. I wanted to move it from the side to the top of the tunnel and read through how everyone else was doing. I started by cutting off the old bracket and grinding down the stumps. I got those cleaned up ok and got the edges painted.

I then attached a 3/4" rail cross member and attached two base plates running from beam to beam. I left them low of the top to give me room for the tunnel cover to fit over the Lokar e-brake bolts without them hitting the cover. I bolted the Lokar e-brake to that and actually put a couple extra washers under the front to nose it up bit for even more clearance on the handle if I needed it. I mounted it as far right as I could get it to keep everything out of the way.

I then cut off the old cable bracket and fabricated a new one that sits farther back. I still used my wilwood e-brake cables and didn't modify or change them out. I kept checking the location to make sure I was straight into the e-brake and also high and tight of the tunnel.

In the end I think it came out well. With three clicks of the e-brake I get those wilwoods locking up the rotors tight. I'm hoping this works well when I have some weight to the car. So far so good. Now onto the brake lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks good Rob. I hadn't even thought of doing it that way

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good.
    Any concern with the shifter interfering with that cross bar you put in?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if your shifter is going traditional, there's no room for it.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I measured and with the rear shifter installed on my TKO600 I know its going to hit it. I plan on flipping the rear shift to gain a little room and if that doesn't work, modify to a mid-shift design. When I'm sitting in it, I think the mid-shift would suit me better anyway so I'm pretty sure I'm going that route regardless. I may have to modify the other cross bar but that should be straightforward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I measured and with the rear shifter installed on my TKO600 I know its going to hit it. I plan on flipping the rear shift to gain a little room and if that doesn't work, modify to a mid-shift design. When I'm sitting in it, I think the mid-shift would suit me better anyway so I'm pretty sure I'm going that route regardless. I may have to modify the other cross bar but that should be straightforward.
    Cool. One other thing to consider. When I put my TKO in I took the cover piece and shifter nub out for clearance getting it into the car. Mine was hooked up to a Coyote so you may not have such a tight fit and need to do this at all. IF you do just consider being able to access the bolts on the top of the transmission that you need to loosen/tighten to remove that plate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast