Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do you do this and still look cool?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you do this and still look cool?

Ok, I know that I am getting a little ahead of myself as I still have some ways to go before driving my Roadster, but I have fitted the seats and just had to have a sit behind the wheel........

How does everybody get into, and out of their car and still look cool?

I am figuring that there must be a way, but currently I am looking more like an elephant seal struggling in and out, than i am looking like Brad Pitt.....................if you sit in it first then you have to remove your legs to get them inside the car, and I am thinking that a James Bond style ejector seat may be the easiest way to get out again. I am only 5'8" so I don't know how you bigger guys get in and out?

I am assuming it is down to technique?
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I get both my feet into the car before I slide my butt into the seat. I’m 6’1” and 245 pounds. Getting out I don’t look so cool. But I’m counting on everyone looking at the car and not me struggling to get out.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm way past the time when I looked cool doing anything, but getting in and out of my FFR sure makes me feel that way. My process is....

1. Reach in with right hand and put it on the far top right corner of the seat.

2. Step in with right leg, placing foot close to transmission tunnel.

3. Swing up and in on right leg and simultaneously sit on top edge of the seat and grab for the top left corner of the seat back and swing left leg into the car. You can actually lean against the roll hoop... this position works for drive thru windows and to stretch without getting out of the car when waiting for a train crossing, too.I

4. Supporting yourself with your hands on the top of the seatback, slide down into the seat - this is really cool if you do it slowly.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Slide in, shimmy out.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Style of entry and exit matters not.

It's A Factory Five So There Is No Way To Not Look Cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotyacht View Post
    How does everybody get into, and out of their car and still look cool?
    By giving zero indication that you care what anybody thinks about how you look. Be da boss.

EDIT: Option B. The GTM is worse than the roadster. You could do like Troy and get out of the car to pick up your 191.5 mph time slip. He could have crawled out of the car with soiled pants and puking and only looked cooler for it.

texas mile.jpg
    Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 10-29-2017 at 08:02 AM.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Go Dad Go. If their look'in it's probably not at you.

Post Thanks / Like
    With previous roadster it was

Left hand on cowl above dash, right on rear cowl behind the seat
    Left foot on the floor placed to the outside of car
    Pick up and swing right foot placed to the inside
    Pivot and sit down
    This procedure may require some time and sequencing adjustment to fit your needs.

Don't lean on the windscreen.

Been practicing with the Challenge Car - no doors, street windscreen and additional cage. Don't suspect it will be pretty and I'm not getting any more limber with age.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    What Gumball said in post #3 . . . to the letter. Out is [almost] an exact reversal of the ingress, put left elbow on rear fender hump just behind left shoulder first, then "climb" back up seat back and step out.

15 years on the road and I haven't looked "uncool" yet. But, that being said, I really think everyone is looking at the car and not me . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Doc said about everyone looking at the car and not us.

Although, I was once standing on a corner waiting to cross the street when a very nice Corvette passed by and one of the two young guys standing behind me said to the other: "Why are all the cool cars wasted on old guys?" I just smiled, knowing that he'd figure it out in thirty years.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    What Doc said about everyone looking at the car and not us.

Although, I was once standing on a corner waiting to cross the street when a very nice Corvette passed by and one of the two young guys standing behind me said to the other: "Why are all the cool cars wasted on old guys?" I just smiled, knowing that he'd figure it out in thirty years.
    Because these cars are "Built, not bought"

Built by Average Joes.jpgTurn the key (Roadster).jpgyuppie cobra.jpgnice car.gif

That's why they're "...wasted on old guys?"

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished the interior Saturday night, so was practicing this very procedure. When I sat in a Superformance at Laguna Seca, they said, put right foot in, grab seat back with right hand, lean against seat about 2/3 way up, and pull left foot up and in, slide down. Getting out is more difficult, but basically reverse, pick self up so leaning against seat, left leg out, twist left, right foot out, let go of whatever you grabbed. Do not grab or use the windshield for any of it.
    I think the forward roll bar support in the 289 is going to help make this easier for the 289 folks.
    The cool cars are in the old guys hands because: 1) we can finally afford it, 2) many actually have the knowledge and fundamental skill sets to build and maintain them.
    However, it is refreshing to see the younger folks jump into these builds, because that is how you gain knowledge and skillsets! Us old guys were there once!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Because these cars are "Built, not bought"

Built by Average Joes.jpgTurn the key (Roadster).jpgyuppie cobra.jpgnice car.gif

That's why they're "...wasted on old guys?"

Ray
    That Dilbert cartoon is still hanging on my refrigerator since the day Mrs. Gumball found it in the paper. Love it!!!!!!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Picked up Kit 7/20/09, Tear down stage complete, Donor 2003 Cobra 4.6L supercharged, 25k miles on engine, IRS, 6-speed. Attended Build School October 08. Mods done, frame powder coated 12/2012, First Start 7/31/13, gocart 8/2/13, Check out my blog
    http://venomxs.com/index.php?view=ca...tent&Itemid=57

Post Thanks / Like
    Having to climb over the exhaust and rocker panels while sliding in the right leg, then over the wings of the high back seats, next under the roll bar and roof with my head and finally pull in my left leg by my shoe or pants leg. You Roadster guys probably all look cool getting in or out, compared to my Coupe. I love it!
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the same method as Gumball and Doc from day one but eventually the padding around the seat frame disintegrated and the lumbar padding got pushed way down from all that sliding. My new leather seats are pretty well oiled and have a lot of grip so I replaced the slide with a rear scoot. I try not to abuse the seat tops too much in an effort preserve the padding as much as possible. Not elegant but effective. Just think how easy it would be if the door was 1½" longer.
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Messina; 10-31-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting in, easy. I feel like I look like an idiot getting out, but I stopped caring. I've practiced a little in the privacy of my garage to find what is most comfortable for me, and if that looks stupid to others, so be it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cChrisM View Post
    Those video ar funny, especially the first one shared that one with my son..

A long time owner showed me a long time ago... To get out, grab the sides of the seat and pull yourself up to the point were you are resting your butt near the top of the seat and then you can step safely over the side pipe to get out. This works works better I suppose with the kirkey seats, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with the stock seats too.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the different replies have me thinking of how I get in and out.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everybody. At least I feel a little better about finding it a bit awkward, and maybe it is more than my middle-aged spread and lack of coordination. Some funny videos.......hopefully I will do better than those! Time to go and practice in the garage.
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    When i visited the factory over the summer, my wife and i sat in the coupe. I'm not the biggest guy, but my wife had a good laugh at watching me gracefully exit the coupe! LOL
    FFR8551 289 FIA build in progress.